Windows 2003 standard permissions

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.

What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
remote destination.

What platforms are the clients using (Win 9x, NT, 2000, XP)?

Do you have Active Directory?
Is the NT 4 Server registered in DNS?
Do you have WINS in your organization?

This will help us better understand your setup and problem.

Thanks!

"Larry" wrote:

> Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
> Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
> network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
>
> What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
> remote destination.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello Desmond,
Thanks for the response!

At my remote destination I am testing this on Windows 98.
I am looking to test on Windows XP as well. Hope to test
today.

We have just put in Active Directory recently.
I am not up to speed yet on Active Directory and how it
effects my environment. I am going to class next week.
I hope this helps.

the NT 4 server at the remote destination is not in the DNS.
I do not have the subnet at remote location in DNS.

I do have Wins servers at this location and remote location.

"Desmond Lee" wrote:

> What platforms are the clients using (Win 9x, NT, 2000, XP)?
>
> Do you have Active Directory?
> Is the NT 4 Server registered in DNS?
> Do you have WINS in your organization?
>
> This will help us better understand your setup and problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Larry" wrote:
>
> > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
> > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
> > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
> >
> > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
> > remote destination.

I am being a little dense I guess, but I need clarification.

At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
On the local network you have clients that can see shares
that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
at the remote location

When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?

Where does the statement
> unable to have users see shares created over a WAN
> using Windows 2003 standard.
come into this?
Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
> Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
> network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
>
> What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
> remote destination.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

At the remote location I have only NT4 Server.
I am trying to get my users in my remote location to be able
to browse thru Explorer and see a share on Windows 2003 standard server.
The remote user is able to view share by Ip name and then
share name. The shares are on a Windows 2003 Standard server.

My local users are able to see the shares thru explorer by
browsing. I take the same user and put them in remote location and they are
unable to browse to share.

Is this clear?

"Roger Abell" wrote:

> I am being a little dense I guess, but I need clarification.
>
> At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
> On the local network you have clients that can see shares
> that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
> location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
> at the remote location
>
> When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
> listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
> Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
> accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
> like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?
>
> Where does the statement
> > unable to have users see shares created over a WAN
> > using Windows 2003 standard.
> come into this?
> Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
> shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
> NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
> instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
> > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
> > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
> >
> > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
> > remote destination.

OK, that clarifies things. You are having an issue with
the master browser system that controls what is listed in
the MS Networking part of Explorer.

First, I assume that all uplevel machines involved are in
the AD domain(s). The downlevel machines (the Win98
you mentioned) probably should have the dsclient installed
on them in order to update their network capabilities for AD.
The downlevels should also identify themselves as in the
domain, even though you cannot join them to it.

I also assume that the WINS at the two sites you mentioned
are push/pull partners of one another, rather than two disjoint
WINS services.

If the assumptions above are correct, then you really only
should have to make all client machines at the remote (actually
all machines anywhere that are members of the AD domain(s))
use the DNS services that support the AD (likely DNS service
installed on the AD DCs). Depending on the connection type
you have with the remote, this may not be directly possible,
and you would need to look into having DNS services that are
local to the remote site.

--
> At the remote location I have only NT4 Server.
> I am trying to get my users in my remote location to be able
> to browse thru Explorer and see a share on Windows 2003 standard server.
> The remote user is able to view share by Ip name and then
> share name. The shares are on a Windows 2003 Standard server.
>
> My local users are able to see the shares thru explorer by
> browsing. I take the same user and put them in remote location and they
are
> unable to browse to share.
>
> Is this clear?
>

> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > I am being a little dense I guess, but I need clarification.
> >
> > At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
> > On the local network you have clients that can see shares
> > that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
> > location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
> > at the remote location
> >
> > When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
> > listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
> > Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
> > accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
> > like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?
> >
> > Where does the statement
> > > unable to have users see shares created over a WAN
> > > using Windows 2003 standard.
> > come into this?
> > Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
> > shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
> > NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
> > instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
> > > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
> > > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
> > >
> > > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from
the
> > > remote destination.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, What about the Windows XP computers?
I am not able to browse thru this as well.

You mentioned the downlevels should also identify
themselves as in the domain , even though you cannot
join them to it.
How do I accomplish this?

The Wins services are push/pull and not two disjoint.

I have a T1 connection to the remote site. Can I add the
subnet to my DNS? I have not done this.
The remote site only has one Windows NT 4 server.

"Roger Abell" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
> > > On the local network you have clients that can see shares
> > > that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
> > > location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
> > > at the remote location
> > >
> > > When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
> > > listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
> > > Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
> > > accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
> > > like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?
> > >
> > > Where does the statement
> > > come into this?
> > > Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
> > > shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
> > > NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
> > > instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?

Not sure what you mean by adding a subnet to your DNS server.
If you mean add a reverse lookup zone for the IP set of the remote
site, that is totally optional.

In the system properties, where one can fill in the workgroup or
domain, machines need to show that they are part of the domain
(even though Win9x cannot join a domain). Otherwise, when the
browser list is built it will look for whatever name is stated here
as what it should participate in for fetching of the listing.

If the XPs are showing this, then
1. are they joined to the domain (I know, but do not recall
your having actually stated it is so)
2. if so, are they using the DNS server that is on the DC for
support of the AD environment (and using it alone, not others)

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4