Windows 2003 standard permissions

Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.

What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
remote destination.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows 2003 standard permissions

    What platforms are the clients using (Win 9x, NT, 2000, XP)?

    Do you have Active Directory?
    Is the NT 4 Server registered in DNS?
    Do you have WINS in your organization?

    This will help us better understand your setup and problem.

    Thanks!

    "Larry" wrote:

    > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
    > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
    > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
    >
    > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
    > remote destination.

    Hello Desmond,
    Thanks for the response!

    At my remote destination I am testing this on Windows 98.
    I am looking to test on Windows XP as well. Hope to test
    today.

    We have just put in Active Directory recently.
    I am not up to speed yet on Active Directory and how it
    effects my environment. I am going to class next week.
    I hope this helps.

    the NT 4 server at the remote destination is not in the DNS.
    I do not have the subnet at remote location in DNS.

    I do have Wins servers at this location and remote location.

    "Desmond Lee" wrote:

    > What platforms are the clients using (Win 9x, NT, 2000, XP)?
    >
    > Do you have Active Directory?
    > Is the NT 4 Server registered in DNS?
    > Do you have WINS in your organization?
    >
    > This will help us better understand your setup and problem.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Larry" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
    > > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
    > > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
    > >
    > > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
    > > remote destination.

    I am being a little dense I guess, but I need clarification.

    At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
    On the local network you have clients that can see shares
    that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
    location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
    at the remote location

    When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
    listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
    Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
    accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
    like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?

    Where does the statement
    > unable to have users see shares created over a WAN
    > using Windows 2003 standard.
    come into this?
    Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
    shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
    NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
    instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
    > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
    > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
    >
    > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
    > remote destination.

    At the remote location I have only NT4 Server.
    I am trying to get my users in my remote location to be able
    to browse thru Explorer and see a share on Windows 2003 standard server.
    The remote user is able to view share by Ip name and then
    share name. The shares are on a Windows 2003 Standard server.

    My local users are able to see the shares thru explorer by
    browsing. I take the same user and put them in remote location and they are
    unable to browse to share.

    Is this clear?

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > I am being a little dense I guess, but I need clarification.
    >
    > At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
    > On the local network you have clients that can see shares
    > that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
    > location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
    > at the remote location
    >
    > When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
    > listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
    > Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
    > accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
    > like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?
    >
    > Where does the statement
    > > unable to have users see shares created over a WAN
    > > using Windows 2003 standard.
    > come into this?
    > Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
    > shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
    > NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
    > instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
    > > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
    > > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
    > >
    > > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from the
    > > remote destination.

    OK, that clarifies things. You are having an issue with
    the master browser system that controls what is listed in
    the MS Networking part of Explorer.

    First, I assume that all uplevel machines involved are in
    the AD domain(s). The downlevel machines (the Win98
    you mentioned) probably should have the dsclient installed
    on them in order to update their network capabilities for AD.
    The downlevels should also identify themselves as in the
    domain, even though you cannot join them to it.

    I also assume that the WINS at the two sites you mentioned
    are push/pull partners of one another, rather than two disjoint
    WINS services.

    If the assumptions above are correct, then you really only
    should have to make all client machines at the remote (actually
    all machines anywhere that are members of the AD domain(s))
    use the DNS services that support the AD (likely DNS service
    installed on the AD DCs). Depending on the connection type
    you have with the remote, this may not be directly possible,
    and you would need to look into having DNS services that are
    local to the remote site.

    --
    > At the remote location I have only NT4 Server.
    > I am trying to get my users in my remote location to be able
    > to browse thru Explorer and see a share on Windows 2003 standard server.
    > The remote user is able to view share by Ip name and then
    > share name. The shares are on a Windows 2003 Standard server.
    >
    > My local users are able to see the shares thru explorer by
    > browsing. I take the same user and put them in remote location and they
    are
    > unable to browse to share.
    >
    > Is this clear?
    >

    > "Roger Abell" wrote:
    >
    > > I am being a little dense I guess, but I need clarification.
    > >
    > > At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
    > > On the local network you have clients that can see shares
    > > that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
    > > location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
    > > at the remote location
    > >
    > > When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
    > > listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
    > > Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
    > > accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
    > > like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?
    > >
    > > Where does the statement
    > > > unable to have users see shares created over a WAN
    > > > using Windows 2003 standard.
    > > come into this?
    > > Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
    > > shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
    > > NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
    > > instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger Abell
    > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > > "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello, I am unable to have users see shares created over a WAN using
    > > > Windows 2003 standard. The same users can see the shares on the local
    > > > network. At the remote destination I have a Windows NT 4.0 server.
    > > >
    > > > What can I do? I am able to see shares on a Windows 2000 server from
    the
    > > > remote destination.

    Ok, What about the Windows XP computers?
    I am not able to browse thru this as well.

    You mentioned the downlevels should also identify
    themselves as in the domain , even though you cannot
    join them to it.
    How do I accomplish this?

    The Wins services are push/pull and not two disjoint.

    I have a T1 connection to the remote site. Can I add the
    subnet to my DNS? I have not done this.
    The remote site only has one Windows NT 4 server.

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > At the remote location you have NT4 Srv and W2k Srv.
    > > > On the local network you have clients that can see shares
    > > > that are from local servers, from the W2k Srv at the remote
    > > > location, but they cannot see shares that are on the NT4 Srv
    > > > at the remote location
    > > >
    > > > When you say "see" do you mean they do not see the shares
    > > > listed in the Network Neighborhood when browsing in
    > > > Explorer, or, do you mean that the share are totally not
    > > > accessible (cannot map drive to them even using syntax
    > > > like \\<ip of remote NT4 Srv>\sharename ) ?
    > > >
    > > > Where does the statement
    > > > come into this?
    > > > Does this mean that the problem does not exist if the
    > > > shares are defined while logged directly into the remote
    > > > NT4 Srv, or if defined when using remote tools in W2k
    > > > instead of W2k3 to define the share from remote location?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Not sure what you mean by adding a subnet to your DNS server.
    If you mean add a reverse lookup zone for the IP set of the remote
    site, that is totally optional.

    In the system properties, where one can fill in the workgroup or
    domain, machines need to show that they are part of the domain
    (even though Win9x cannot join a domain). Otherwise, when the
    browser list is built it will look for whatever name is stated here
    as what it should participate in for fetching of the listing.

    If the XPs are showing this, then
    1. are they joined to the domain (I know, but do not recall
    your having actually stated it is so)
    2. if so, are they using the DNS server that is on the DC for
    support of the AD environment (and using it alone, not others)

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    > Ok, What about the Windows XP computers?
    > I am not able to browse thru this as well.
    >
    > You mentioned the downlevels should also identify
    > themselves as in the domain , even though you cannot
    > join them to it.
    > How do I accomplish this?
    >
    > The Wins services are push/pull and not two disjoint.
    >
    > I have a T1 connection to the remote site. Can I add the
    > subnet to my DNS? I have not done this.
    > The remote site only has one Windows NT 4 server.
    >
    > "Roger Abell" wrote:
    >
    >> OK, that clarifies things. You are having an issue with
    >> the master browser system that controls what is listed in
    >> the MS Networking part of Explorer.
    >>
    >> First, I assume that all uplevel machines involved are in
    >> the AD domain(s). The downlevel machines (the Win98
    >> you mentioned) probably should have the dsclient installed
    >> on them in order to update their network capabilities for AD.
    >> The downlevels should also identify themselves as in the
    >> domain, even though you cannot join them to it.
    >>
    >> I also assume that the WINS at the two sites you mentioned
    >> are push/pull partners of one another, rather than two disjoint
    >> WINS services.
    >>
    >> If the assumptions above are correct, then you really only
    >> should have to make all client machines at the remote (actually
    >> all machines anywhere that are members of the AD domain(s))
    >> use the DNS services that support the AD (likely DNS service
    >> installed on the AD DCs). Depending on the connection type
    >> you have with the remote, this may not be directly possible,
    >> and you would need to look into having DNS services that are
    >> local to the remote site.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roger Abell
    >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    >> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    >> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > At the remote location I have only NT4 Server.
    >> > I am trying to get my users in my remote location to be able
    >> > to browse thru Explorer and see a share on Windows 2003 standard
    >> > server.
    >> > The remote user is able to view share by Ip name and then
    >> > share name. The shares are on a Windows 2003 Standard server.
    >> >
    >> > My local users are able to see the shares thru explorer by
    >> > browsing. I take the same user and put them in remote location and they
    >> are
    >> > unable to browse to share.
    >> >
    >> > Is this clear?

    >> the

Windows Server 2003 Permissions Servers Windows