Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

building a new system

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 18, 2007 3:32:01 AM

I am building a new system from scratch and here is a list of the parts I am going to get (Operating System also)

My dream system

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $315.00

Motherboard - ABIT AW9D-MAX LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard – Retail - $209.99

Power Supply - Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB – Retail - $129.99

Memory - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail – Retail - $179.99

Memory - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail – Retail - $179.99

Total 4GB of ram

Case - Antec APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BL/500 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 500W daul 12V (Ver. 2.03) Power Supply - Retail - $109.99

Video Card - PNY VCG8800XXPB GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail - $549.99

Expansion Card 1 - Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card – Retail - $182.99

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $149.99

CD or DVD drive - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe – OEM - $36.99

Other Drives - Silverstone FP34-B USB 2.0 Card Reader – Retail – 39.99

Monitor - SCEPTRE X9g-Naga V Black 19" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 – Retail - $179.99

Keyboard - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard – Retail - $71.99

Mouse - Logitech 2-Tone Gaming-Grade Mouse – Retail 39.99

Speakers - Logitech X-140 5 watts 2.0 Speaker – Retail - $26.99

Operating System – Vista Ultimate Upgrade - $249.99

Headset - Logitech Extreme 3.5mm Connector Supra-aural PC Gaming Headset – Retail - $14.99


I am going to be using this for mostly gaming, but I will also do some recording projects too....so just give me your opinions about it.

I am trying to not go over $3000.

More about : building system

February 18, 2007 3:38:18 AM

If you will be using 32-bit Win XP or 32-bit Vista, you will likely only be able to use about 3GB of the RAM due to memory addressing limits. 64-bit Vista (or another 64-bit OS) will allow you to use all 4GB of RAM, but will likely mean more software and/or driver compatibility problems. The 64-bit OS driver & software issues should be mostly sorted out by the end of the year, so I would hold off on buying the 2nd GB of RAM, or just buy 3GB of RAM (2x1GB and 2x512MB).
February 18, 2007 3:39:58 AM

First off, you should stick with Windows XP cause there are alot of problem or bugs to deal of with that current OS.

Second, I don't think you would really need 4 GB of RAM right now you should just stick with 2 GB as its plenty enough.

Third, the seagate barracuda if you are going sata go with the 7200.10 it is the latest than the 7200.9.

And Forth, are you going to OC this system?
Related resources
February 18, 2007 3:42:22 AM

what do you mean OC the system? I don't really know many computer building terms.
February 18, 2007 3:45:11 AM

Overclocking.
February 18, 2007 3:47:28 AM

honestly I have never messed with overclocking, I have heard about it, but I just started to get really serious about going in to computer repair and building computers...so I really don't know how...If I were what would you advise for my system.
February 18, 2007 4:02:02 AM

Quote:
I am building a new system from scratch and here is a list of the parts I am going to get (Operating System also)

My dream system

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $315.00

Motherboard - ABIT AW9D-MAX LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard – Retail - $209.99

Power Supply - Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB – Retail - $129.99

Memory - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail – Retail - $179.99

Memory - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail – Retail - $179.99

Total 4GB of ram

Case - Antec APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BL/500 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 500W daul 12V (Ver. 2.03) Power Supply - Retail - $109.99

Video Card - PNY VCG8800XXPB GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail - $549.99

Expansion Card 1 - Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card – Retail - $182.99

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $149.99

CD or DVD drive - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe – OEM - $36.99

Other Drives - Silverstone FP34-B USB 2.0 Card Reader – Retail – 39.99

Monitor - SCEPTRE X9g-Naga V Black 19" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 – Retail - $179.99

Keyboard - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard – Retail - $71.99

Mouse - Logitech 2-Tone Gaming-Grade Mouse – Retail 39.99

Speakers - Logitech X-140 5 watts 2.0 Speaker – Retail - $26.99

Operating System – Vista Ultimate Upgrade - $249.99

Headset - Logitech Extreme 3.5mm Connector Supra-aural PC Gaming Headset – Retail - $14.99


I am going to be using this for mostly gaming, but I will also do some recording projects too....so just give me your opinions about it.

I am trying to not go over $3000.


Why go with the 975x board if you're not going with a crossfire setup? You may be happier with the AB9 Pro, it's also $50 cheaper! You could also get the Quad GT 965 mobo, about the same price as your max.


Vista?.....NOOOOOO!

Go with a Windows XP version and redeem your coupon for free Vista upgrade. This way you could get up and running with a system that has few bugs, and you can upgrade to Vista in a few months, after they get all the bugs worked out...and there ARE bugs!

Why are you getting a case that has a PS when you're getting the 650w TP3?

get 3 hard drives. 2 small ones to set up in RAID 0....purrrformance! :wink: Your OS and progs go on this array...nothing you want to risk losing forever.
1 larger one to store your data on by itself.
February 18, 2007 4:25:59 AM

The original case I wanted was sold out at NewEgg.com where I have to get my parts, so I went for this case because of the amount of fans, and the place ment of the fans.

As for the Vista Ultimate Upgrade, true it has its bugs, but the price is not going down for a while and I just want to get it now while I have the money too.... I am able to get me a free licensed cope of Windows XP Professional from my college too. As for the motherboard, I may eventually put to Video Cards in it using the SLI functions of my motherboard, but at the moment I didn't see the need right now... as for the other hard drives how big would you use for RAID 0? I have a 60 GB in the computer I am using now, and I have access to two 40 GB hard drives.
February 18, 2007 8:46:52 PM

any more opinions?
February 18, 2007 8:54:16 PM

Quote:
...
As for the Vista Ultimate Upgrade, true it has its bugs, but the price is not going down for a while and I just want to get it now while I have the money too....

Since you won't use it for at least a year (when the bugs will be worked out and the hardware drivers available), why pay for it now? It won't be any more expensive a year from now.
Quote:
... As for the motherboard, I may eventually put to Video Cards in it using the SLI functions

Unless you do so in the next few months, you never will, because by that time newer, faster, cheaper video cards will be available and it will be cheaper just to replace your current video card. That is why almost no one actually makes use of SLI/Crossfire in practice.

Quote:
... and I have access to two 40 GB hard drives.
Don't bother with RAID 0. RAID 1 will give you the same increased-read-throughput benefits, along with built-in backup (via the mirroring).
February 18, 2007 9:06:02 PM

How would I setup a Raid 1 system with my hard drives.
!