All Certificates Missing

Working with a Win 2000 Pro PC. All of the sudden, all
of her security certificates are gone. Anyone know what
causes this and what I can do to fix this? Every time
she tries to go to a site that starts with HTTPS: She
gets a security alert box pop up. Any suggestions? How
do you get the certificates back? Thanks.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:46:49 -0800, "Nichole"

>Working with a Win 2000 Pro PC. All of the sudden, all
>of her security certificates are gone. Anyone know what
>causes this and what I can do to fix this? Every time
>she tries to go to a site that starts with HTTPS: She
>gets a security alert box pop up. Any suggestions? How
>do you get the certificates back? Thanks.

We've had this experience lately on several systems. It appears to be
the result of a virus/trojan. Getting certificates back is anywhere
from simple to hard, depending on the cert. You can export them from
another system that has them and import them, this works if it's the
Root or Intermediate certs, but user certs may not exist on another
system.

FWIW, the certs weren't the only issue we had and it ended up being
easier for our staff to re-image the system than to clean it up.

Jeff