Program Named "Default" In Add/Remove Programs

I am a part of the security group in the organization I work for, and during
a recent audit I have encoutered this program in the add/remove programs
dialog. My primary concern is the security risk an unknown program may pose.
This program only shows up as "Default" in the dialog. The link that reads
Support Information only gives the following information:

DEFAULT
Publisher: Your company name
Version: 1.00.0000
Support information: www.yourcompany.com
(555) 555-1234
Product updates www.yourcompany.com
Product ID: NONE

I do not want to remove it without more information. Has anyone else
encountered this program? Does anyone have any information regarding this
program? I will appreciate any assistance.
1 answer Last reply
More about program named default remove programs

    That is a strange name but you never know. I would look in the program files
    folders to see if you can find anything that it might represent by the
    process of elimination compared to other installed applications and look in
    start/programs menu for a possible correlation. If something is found try to
    execute the program while it is not connected to the network to see what
    happens. Use msinfo32/software environment/running tasks to see it is
    related to a running process if you figure out the folder it is installed to
    and then kill the process to see what happens. You may also want to look in
    services to see if it is a startup service of some sort. Another thing to
    try is to do a complete backup of the computer such as a Ghost image and
    then uninstall the application. Often the uninstall process will give more
    info or at least you can compare the computer with before and after for
    folder deletions, typically in program files. --- Steve

    "Shadowraith1" <Shadowraith1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am a part of the security group in the organization I work for, and
    >during
    > a recent audit I have encoutered this program in the add/remove programs
    > dialog. My primary concern is the security risk an unknown program may
    > pose.
    > This program only shows up as "Default" in the dialog. The link that reads
    > Support Information only gives the following information:
    >
    > DEFAULT
    > Publisher: Your company name
    > Version: 1.00.0000
    > Support information: www.yourcompany.com
    > (555) 555-1234
    > Product updates www.yourcompany.com
    > Product ID: NONE
    >
    > I do not want to remove it without more information. Has anyone else
    > encountered this program? Does anyone have any information regarding this
    > program? I will appreciate any assistance.

Default Security Support Dialog Microsoft Windows