Say Dave - I got a question...

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 30, 2004 7:12:45 AM

I did TV repair back in the 60's, tube days and the introduction of
Color TV. Now i'm deep into HDTV but just as a owner.

My question: Is the horizontal still 15,750 for the HD signal at 720p
or 1080i picture. How do they speed up the raster.

Do you have any idea of the anode voltage like for a 34" direct-view
TV. Must be one heck of a trippler.

I ended up with the Sony 960 and really like it for a direct view set.
I used Consumer Reports last November issue for advice. I was deep
into Panasonic sets around here but thought I would go back to Sony.

Now i'm having fun with a off-air antenna trying to get the networks
from 75 miles away. I think I have them now with my first night of
testing. I'm using the winegard PR-8800 antenna and mast mounted 28
db pre-amp with RG6. I have it up 20 foot from the ground.

Thanks,
hdtvfan

More about : dave question

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:18:11 PM

"ghostfan" <ghostfan@earthlink.com> wrote in message
> I did TV repair back in the 60's, tube days and the introduction of
> Color TV. Now i'm deep into HDTV but just as a owner.
>
> My question: Is the horizontal still 15,750 for the HD signal at 720p
> or 1080i picture. How do they speed up the raster.

The horiz on all the new crt types is twice the 15K or something like 31K,
vert is 70Hz. LCD and DLP (light processing) are another duck altogether.

See the following:
http://www.triadtwcable.com/cableserv/images/SAHDTVFAQs...

The new tv's have a fixed scan rate. The conversions are done in a "Hyper
board" that digitally frame converts to the TV's display from whatever
source (NTSC or the 4 HD rates)

> Do you have any idea of the anode voltage like for a 34" direct-view
> TV. Must be one heck of a trippler.

TV's haven't had tripplers in 25 years. HV is still apx 31k volts. While
higher might make it easier to have brighter sharper pictures there is the
radiation issue. Beyond a certain KV level a picture tube becomes a
radiation source.

> I ended up with the Sony 960 and really like it for a direct view set.
> I used Consumer Reports last November issue for advice. I was deep
> into Panasonic sets around here but thought I would go back to Sony.
>
> Now i'm having fun with a off-air antenna trying to get the networks
> from 75 miles away. I think I have them now with my first night of
> testing. I'm using the winegard PR-8800 antenna and mast mounted 28
> db pre-amp with RG6. I have it up 20 foot from the ground.

Me too, the PR-8800 has good gain but more important is has very good
rejection from the back. My stations are 120 degrees apart and a cheapy
vhf/uhf ($35) antenna works in one direction but nothing else will work in
the other direction (130 degree) as I get mulitpath so bad I have to reduce
the preamp gain in the other direction (130 degree) or channels drop out in
the cheapy ant's direction.

The Radio Shack (30db gain with 10 db pad) is a must for the second preamp
as I still have to drop the gain 8db.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:34:21 PM

"ghostfan" <ghostfan@earthlink.com> wrote in message
> I did TV repair back in the 60's, tube days and the introduction of
> Color TV. Now i'm deep into HDTV but just as a owner.
>
> My question: Is the horizontal still 15,750 for the HD signal at 720p
> or 1080i picture. How do they speed up the raster.
>
> Do you have any idea of the anode voltage like for a 34" direct-view
> TV. Must be one heck of a trippler.
>
> I ended up with the Sony 960 and really like it for a direct view set.
> I used Consumer Reports last November issue for advice. I was deep
> into Panasonic sets around here but thought I would go back to Sony.
>
> Now i'm having fun with a off-air antenna trying to get the networks
> from 75 miles away. I think I have them now with my first night of
> testing. I'm using the winegard PR-8800 antenna and mast mounted 28
> db pre-amp with RG6. I have it up 20 foot from the ground.
>
> Thanks,
> hdtvfan

NTSC sets scan at 15.75kHz
480p scan at 31.5kHz
1080i scan at 33.75 kHz

Most HD sets convert everything to one of the higher frequencies and don't
scan at 15.75 at all anymore.

Leonard
July 30, 2004 9:16:56 PM

ghostfan <ghostfan@earthlink.com> wrote in

> I did TV repair back in the 60's, tube days and the introduction of
> Color TV. Now i'm deep into HDTV but just as a owner.
>
> My question: Is the horizontal still 15,750 for the HD signal at 720p
> or 1080i picture. How do they speed up the raster.

The short answer is "no." It's a higher frequency.

> Do you have any idea of the anode voltage like for a 34" direct-view
> TV. Must be one heck of a trippler.

I'd have to look it up. I haven't really been in the TV repair end of
things since the late 60's.

> I ended up with the Sony 960 and really like it for a direct view set.
> I used Consumer Reports last November issue for advice. I was deep
> into Panasonic sets around here but thought I would go back to Sony.

> Now i'm having fun with a off-air antenna trying to get the networks
> from 75 miles away. I think I have them now with my first night of
> testing. I'm using the winegard PR-8800 antenna and mast mounted 28
> db pre-amp with RG6. I have it up 20 foot from the ground.

This sounds workable, though for 75 miles, I'd prefer a bit more height,
depending what the transmitter is on. Around here they are all on
mountains and you can get away with a bit. On the other hand reflections
are everywhere! It's too early to try OTA HDTV here (70 miles up the
valley from Vancouver BC) as there are no local stations, the nearest
being Seattle.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

July 31, 2004 7:10:10 AM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:16:56 GMT, Dave Oldridge
<doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote:

>ghostfan <ghostfan@earthlink.com> wrote in
>
>> I did TV repair back in the 60's, tube days and the introduction of
>> Color TV. Now i'm deep into HDTV but just as a owner.
>>
>> My question: Is the horizontal still 15,750 for the HD signal at 720p
>> or 1080i picture. How do they speed up the raster.
>
>The short answer is "no." It's a higher frequency.
>
>> Do you have any idea of the anode voltage like for a 34" direct-view
>> TV. Must be one heck of a trippler.
>
>I'd have to look it up. I haven't really been in the TV repair end of
>things since the late 60's.
>
>> I ended up with the Sony 960 and really like it for a direct view set.
>> I used Consumer Reports last November issue for advice. I was deep
>> into Panasonic sets around here but thought I would go back to Sony.
>
>> Now i'm having fun with a off-air antenna trying to get the networks
>> from 75 miles away. I think I have them now with my first night of
>> testing. I'm using the winegard PR-8800 antenna and mast mounted 28
>> db pre-amp with RG6. I have it up 20 foot from the ground.
>
>This sounds workable, though for 75 miles, I'd prefer a bit more height,
>depending what the transmitter is on. Around here they are all on
>mountains and you can get away with a bit. On the other hand reflections
>are everywhere! It's too early to try OTA HDTV here (70 miles up the
>valley from Vancouver BC) as there are no local stations, the nearest
>being Seattle.

Sorry I forgot to mention those towers 75 miles away. Their located on
top of a 4500 foot mountain. Problem is another mountain is between
us but its about 4000 feet. I just went up from 18 foot to 30 foot on
the telescoping mast im using. Now its flying, especially PBS-HD in
wide screen. It really looks good. Now for some football.

hdtvfan
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:53:42 PM

hdtvfan <hdtvfan@earthlink.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:16:56 GMT, Dave Oldridge
> <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>ghostfan <ghostfan@earthlink.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I did TV repair back in the 60's, tube days and the introduction of
>>> Color TV. Now i'm deep into HDTV but just as a owner.
>>>
>>> My question: Is the horizontal still 15,750 for the HD signal at
>>> 720p or 1080i picture. How do they speed up the raster.
>>
>>The short answer is "no." It's a higher frequency.
>>
>>> Do you have any idea of the anode voltage like for a 34" direct-view
>>> TV. Must be one heck of a trippler.
>>
>>I'd have to look it up. I haven't really been in the TV repair end of
>>things since the late 60's.
>>
>>> I ended up with the Sony 960 and really like it for a direct view
>>> set. I used Consumer Reports last November issue for advice. I was
>>> deep into Panasonic sets around here but thought I would go back to
>>> Sony.
>>
>>> Now i'm having fun with a off-air antenna trying to get the networks
>>> from 75 miles away. I think I have them now with my first night of
>>> testing. I'm using the winegard PR-8800 antenna and mast mounted 28
>>> db pre-amp with RG6. I have it up 20 foot from the ground.
>>
>>This sounds workable, though for 75 miles, I'd prefer a bit more
>>height, depending what the transmitter is on. Around here they are
>>all on mountains and you can get away with a bit. On the other hand
>>reflections are everywhere! It's too early to try OTA HDTV here (70
>>miles up the valley from Vancouver BC) as there are no local stations,
>>the nearest being Seattle.
>
> Sorry I forgot to mention those towers 75 miles away. Their located on
> top of a 4500 foot mountain. Problem is another mountain is between
> us but its about 4000 feet. I just went up from 18 foot to 30 foot on
> the telescoping mast im using. Now its flying, especially PBS-HD in
> wide screen. It really looks good. Now for some football.

Heh-heh. I'm spoiled by watching the Jays' home games in HD. Now I have
to FORCE myself to watch the away games, which are still in SD.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

August 2, 2004 9:49:15 AM

There was always a reason your parents told you "don't sit to close to the
TV!!!"

!