security for selected folders

How do I allow a group to have access to a folder that is several layers deep
in the tree but deny access to the folders above and below?

e:\shared\hardin capital

I want the user to only see the hardin capital folder and none of the other
folders.

By default users have traverse permissions to access a subfolder where they
have permissions to even if they do not have permissions to the parent
folder. You can deny them access by not giving them any permissions to the
folder you do not want them to access. Then you can create a share for them
just to the folder where they need access and have permissions. You also
could give them just list permissions to the parent folders. They would then
be able to navigate through the folders and only see the filenames of the
folders above their folder but not read the contents of the files in those
folders. --- Steve

"Dmc21us" <Dmc21us@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I allow a group to have access to a folder that is several layers
> deep
> in the tree but deny access to the folders above and below?
>
> e:\shared\hardin capital
>
> I want the user to only see the hardin capital folder and none of the
> other
> folders.

TRENDING THREADS