Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build - Stuck rebooting

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 18, 2007 11:41:55 AM

So I built this custom box and thought I got everything matched up.

ASUS P5B-E mobo
Corsair XMS2 1GB 800MHz kit (2x512mb) RAM
Seagate 7200.10 200GB SataII HD
Sapphire Radeon X1950PRO
Ultra Xfinity 500W dual rail 12V power supply
Dual Core 2.13 proc

I got it all setup and installed everything. Played counterstrike on it for a bit, then let it sit for a day. Now it won't stay running. Sometimes it will POST and let me in the BIOS, sometimes it will get all the way to windows then reboot. Most of the time it just reboots over and over not showing any video. I had already flashed the BIOS before I installed the OS. I loaded the BIOS defaults a few times, the mobo was telling me the Overclocking failed, only thing is I haven't over clocked it yet. RAM/Proc settings are all set to auto so nothing is overclocked.

I'm not sure what to start with. Any ideas what I might try before RMA'ing parts one at a time, I know it worked for at least a day :) .

More about : build stuck rebooting

February 18, 2007 1:30:59 PM

Clear the CMOS by removing battery for 15 mins and reinstalling. Or refer to mobo manual for Jumper method.

Then start over again, listening for 1 short beep. :) 
February 18, 2007 1:44:49 PM

yah and get a UPS

750 VDC or 1000 VDC

apc
tripplite
backups
Related resources
February 18, 2007 1:53:26 PM

Quote:
yah and get a UPS

750 VDC or 1000 VDC

apc
tripplite
backups


Why would he want a UPS? That is not his main problem! :?
February 18, 2007 2:26:07 PM

yep clear the CMOS and maybe check if you leave it in the bios menu does it reboot also( discounts driver issues causing crashes, drive problems etc. )
February 18, 2007 5:58:38 PM

While you are resetting the CMOS, make sure everything is plugged in correctly, give everything a little push in case it loosened.

How are your temps?
February 18, 2007 7:21:58 PM

Temps looked fine when I was in the OS. It does reboot while in the BIOS if I just wait a few minutes. I will try the CMOS reset as the mobo instructions say and let you know how it goes.
February 18, 2007 7:27:20 PM

Resetting during the BIOS leads me to believe that you have a problem with your cooling somewhere.

The last OEM PC I bought had the same symptoms when I started it up for the first time. The first day it ran OK, then started resetting more frequently all the time. I took the HSF off and discovered that the OEM did not remove the piece of paper from the thermal tape!! I removed the tape and put some Arctic Silver on it and it was fine.
February 18, 2007 9:16:57 PM

i agree, either overheating or one of the components is messing with the PSU. Id remove all the components you can e.g DVD drives etc. if that fails and iys not an overheating problem then it could be the PSU. Theres a cool way to determine if the PSU is not faulty( but it wont check power load problems ), you can connect 2 o the pins via a safety pin and plug it into the mains, you could use this to make sure it does actually stay on( via the fan keeping going ) and also leave it running for a few minutes and check how hot it is

I dont have the link now, but you can google it, i had to do it before when my machine wouldnt post to make sure the mobo was actually getting power, ended up being that i connected the extra 4 pins o a 24 pin mobo incorrectly
February 19, 2007 11:09:19 PM

Well I called ASUS and they claim I have incompatible RAM. I RMA'd it and have a stick coming tomorrow. I got the part number from there QVL in the mobo book so I know it's compatible (Kingston 667 1GB stick pretty generic)

My temps were reading anywhere from 95-120 degrees F on the CPU and the case was reading like 85ish. I didnt think either was abnormal (am I wrong?). I did suspect the power supply but it seems to be giving fine power on other boards.

I will get some more contact for the CPU and get rid of the OEM stuff just to make sure it's not an issue.

Thanks for the advice so far.
February 21, 2007 8:32:23 PM

Quote:
Well I called ASUS and they claim I have incompatible RAM. I RMA'd it and have a stick coming tomorrow. I got the part number from there QVL in the mobo book so I know it's compatible (Kingston 667 1GB stick pretty generic)

My temps were reading anywhere from 95-120 degrees F on the CPU and the case was reading like 85ish. I didnt think either was abnormal (am I wrong?). I did suspect the power supply but it seems to be giving fine power on other boards.

I will get some more contact for the CPU and get rid of the OEM stuff just to make sure it's not an issue.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Wonder of wonders, ive just had a similar problem on my new build, contineous switch offs, i managed to figure out it was either the seating of the GPU in the PCI-E slot( i.e. it wasnt 100% vertical because i have one o those easy install no screws for PCI cards case ) OR it was the GPU overheating, i cleaned out the an on the GPU, so far so good been running for an hour now. Anyway i your ram doesnt work then try arsing around with the GPU
February 21, 2007 10:10:02 PM

Yes, I'd suspect the graphics card and/or the PS. Ultra isn't known for its quality.
February 22, 2007 11:59:15 AM

Ok got the new RAM in and it worked great for about four hours then same symptoms. I will trying a new PSU first. I was able to run my graphics card in another PC with no issues for hours and hours :) , so I don't think it's bad, possibly not seated correctly like you said.

Any advice on good 500W power supply, I thought Ultra was good but shows my knowledge :) .

Thanks
February 22, 2007 12:41:34 PM

Quote:
Ok got the new RAM in and it worked great for about four hours then same symptoms. I will trying a new PSU first. I was able to run my graphics card in another PC with no issues for hours and hours :) , so I don't think it's bad, possibly not seated correctly like you said.

Any advice on good 500W power supply, I thought Ultra was good but shows my knowledge :) .

Thanks

mine is still switching off/failing to post sometimes, but i could have too many variables, i.e. BIOS modifications etc., ive been reading around im going to try the following:
Explicitly set the ram timings to those spec'd for the ram( even loosen them )
Up the ram voltage from 1.8V to 2.1( apparently most DDR2 should be 2.1 )
heres a great forum with corsair giving feedback for ram issues -http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13...

Im also going to flash a new bios if the above doesnt work, apparently 0902 is out for my board
!