Sign in with
Your question

New 7600GS AGP - frequent nv4_disp crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2007 12:25:47 PM

I just got an MSI 7600GS AGP to replace my old Radeon 9700 Pro, and it is not functioning properly. I have tried the display drivers included in the box with the GPU, and the newest ones from nvidia... But every time i load up a game, within a minute or 2 it freezes up and crashes. sometimes the screen just goes blank after a few seconds, then the computer restarts, btu sometimes it crashes to the desktop and i get an error saying "The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally..."

Ive done a lot of searches for that error message, but havent found anything useful. Does anyone know what might be wrong, or how i could fix it?

Is it possible that my video card is busted, and i should send it back for a new one?

Thanks
February 18, 2007 1:12:14 PM

Did you completely uninstall the ATI drivers before installing the nVidia drivers? The popularly accepted method is to get the program Driver Cleaner. Then uninstall the driver (in your case both drivers now), reboot into Safe Mode, and run all Driver Cleaner's scripts for ATI and nVidia. Then reboot in Normal Mode, cancel the hardware detection, and install your nVidia drivers. Reboot and hope the problem is solved.

Of course if you did that to remove your ATI drivers to start with, you can disregard my whole post.

As for you card, I put one in my boys computer. It works great. They play Lego Stars II on it. Nice game, and the card has no problem keeping up.
February 18, 2007 2:09:14 PM

Quote:
and the newest ones from nvidia...

Newest is not always the best.
Try an older driver from nVidia's download page.
I have discovered that sometimes this can help.
Related resources
February 18, 2007 9:37:56 PM

I definately cleaned the ATI drivers out, as i actually reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP :lol: 

Also, I have tried several older drivers now, and its crashing no matter what.

I think the next thing i am going to try will be to put the radeon back in, and make sure everything still functions fine with that, to rule out other hardware issues, such as RAM or CPU.
February 18, 2007 11:03:59 PM

Got my Radeon in for the moment, and everything is working fine.

Might my Geforce 7600GS AGP card be faulty, and need replacement? at this point i am so stumped, that seems like the most likely answer to me. My other thought is that my Antec SmartPower PSU doesnt have enough amperage... +12V1@17A and +12V2@19A.
June 7, 2009 6:12:10 PM

Were you able to fix this problem? because I have that card and my Antec earthwatts EA380 380W max Amp is (+3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A) and I get random reboots and crashes when just using firefox.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 7, 2009 7:43:05 PM

Can't say I've seen the OP post much in the last TWO YEARS, you would be better off starting a new thread.
June 8, 2009 12:43:32 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Can't say I've seen the OP post much in the last TWO YEARS, you would be better off starting a new thread.

Thank you, I was just searching google with "7600gs" and "reboots" and this post showed up. I have not used this video card since last year when I bought it, asked evga for an RMA February of last year but never send the card, I wonder if I contact evga explaining why I have not send the card they might give me a second RMA but this time I will send it for sure, because I want to use this video card with XBMC.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 8, 2009 2:07:29 AM

Good luck with that, you might just as well call it a day on that card and pick up something like an 8400GS for about 30 quid.
June 8, 2009 11:07:45 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Good luck with that, you might just as well call it a day on that card and pick up something like an 8400GS for about 30 quid.

Ah I'll give it a try I don't really need a really fast card since that pc has a p4 1.5Ghz and 1.5Gb of SDRAM PC 133, and the agp is at 4x, if I cant get the RMA since it still has guaranty I will just keep using what I have there a ATI Radeon 7500.

Thanks for your help.
!