Appears to be a spyware/malware website that shreds your f..

Bradley1234

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005

http://www.realconvert.com/

I downloaded their media fixer and #1 media pro. The one has been on zdnet
for almost one month, the other released a few days ago.

The # of downloads is suspicious, how much call is there for media repair
software? If there was, wouldnt there even be one other company doing this?

So the download installs and then asks for payment saying the trial version
doesnt work, or work very well. I clicked close and it was running, I
picked an mpeg file that was apparently damaged, for it to fix. It shredded
the file.

I double and triple checked and tried again, carefully noting the settings.
It shows a progress bar, numbers changing fast in a box thing, then it
finishes. No status display to indicate what was fixed, no storing in a
temp file to revert back. It shreds the files.

But I dont know to whom to report this? Ive written both zdnet and cnet but
dont know if that does anything at all. Is there some official website(s)
to report such suspected malware? The site does not appear to have any
"company history" or say something like the person likes to write files, go
hiking and thanks for any donations, its like they make lots of download
files to destroy your computer

thanks for any assistance

About all you can do is to let the download site know what your experience
was with some good detail. I would also contact the publisher to ask them
what is up. I believe most the major download sites let users post ratings
and reviews of downloads that you have tried which would be a good idea to
do in your case to let others know what your experience was.. --- Steve

"Bradley1234" <someone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.realconvert.com/
>
> I downloaded their media fixer and #1 media pro. The one has been on
> zdnet
> for almost one month, the other released a few days ago.
>
> The # of downloads is suspicious, how much call is there for media repair
> software? If there was, wouldnt there even be one other company doing
> this?
>
> So the download installs and then asks for payment saying the trial
> version
> doesnt work, or work very well. I clicked close and it was running, I
> picked an mpeg file that was apparently damaged, for it to fix. It
> shredded
> the file.
>
> I double and triple checked and tried again, carefully noting the
> settings.
> It shows a progress bar, numbers changing fast in a box thing, then it
> finishes. No status display to indicate what was fixed, no storing in a
> temp file to revert back. It shreds the files.
>
> But I dont know to whom to report this? Ive written both zdnet and cnet
> but
> dont know if that does anything at all. Is there some official website(s)
> to report such suspected malware? The site does not appear to have any
> "company history" or say something like the person likes to write files,
> go
> hiking and thanks for any donations, its like they make lots of download
> files to destroy your computer
>
> thanks for any assistance

TRENDING THREADS