Sign in with
Your question

Dx10 the last frontier never to be conquered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2007 2:04:18 PM

I have been reading various threads on this forum and i am amazed that

how much money people are spending for a Dx10 system, and there is no single dx 10 game available.

Isnt there something wrong with this , its almost like companies are selling white elephants to people which are never going to get used ,

I am so sure that the 8800gtx is going to really struggle by this summer :lol: 

Hats off to Microsoft and Nvidia for manipulating people into thinking they are buying a piece of a pie they cant even taste. :lol: 
February 18, 2007 2:17:11 PM

I still don't see why so many people are talking about DX10 like it was a rip off or some sort of scam.

No one said DX10 games were supposed to be out by now. If you read articles you can clearly see that those game weren't supposed to come out untill later this year.

Its not microsofts problem that a lot of people upgraded thier systems, they never misinformed anyone. That was out peoples own will.

You can say the people scammed themselves.
February 18, 2007 2:23:30 PM

Well people cant scam themselves without being led on , whats with releasing Vista and saying that it is a great gaming platform blah blah

while its crashing all over the place , and nvdia releasing cards with DX10 drivers that is just sad .

Promising to deliver something which may never see the light :lol:  :roll: :twisted:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 18, 2007 2:55:29 PM

Quote:

The 8800's are amazing cards that are destroying any DX9 game, so you get what are you paying for. I don't know what you mean about "struggle".
February 18, 2007 3:20:17 PM

Quote:
The 8800's are amazing cards that are destroying any DX9 game, so you get what are you paying for

Ask anyone on the Forums here and they will say that if they had the money to spend on getting top notch quality, then an 8800 lets them do that. I have a GTS and when you crank everything to max and have 16x AA and fluid framerates its a pretty sweet feeling

Quote:

No one said DX10 games were supposed to be out by now

They're not now, but they will be in time and by going all out and getting an 8800 (or AMD's R600) they will be able to enjoy games like Crysis and Alan Wake when they hit the shelves.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 3:53:27 PM

Quote:

how much money people are spending for a Dx10 system, and there is no single dx 10 game available.

Isnt there something wrong with this , its almost like companies are selling white elephants to people which are never going to get used ,

Hats off to Microsoft and Nvidia for manipulating people into thinking they are buying a piece of a pie they cant even taste. :lol: 

new technoligy has to come out some time.
February 18, 2007 3:56:59 PM

Quote:

When do we get a wasteland on these forumz?
February 18, 2007 4:00:08 PM

I'd say Direct X10 support on the 8800GTX is really more of an added bonus than a selling point, as the card is 2x faster than the X1950XTX and supports higher quality anisotropic filtering, among so many other things.
a c 362 U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 4:03:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure people made the same pointless arguement about DX9 when it first came out.
February 18, 2007 4:08:49 PM

Quote:
I'd say Direct X10 support on the 8800GTX is really more of an added bonus than a selling point, as the card is 2x faster than the X1950XTX and supports higher quality anisotropic filtering, among so many other things.

well okay i guess this statement is true. But seriously dont you guys think that the amount of money people are paying for this product , they arent exactly getting that sort of support , look i didnt say performance i said support , like drivers and actual applications which utilize the product .

these are just my thoughts on the subject and are not meant towards anyone , everyone has a right to their opinion .
February 18, 2007 4:12:12 PM

It's not just DX10 bro - you've got DX9 and back. Honestly, this card line-up resembles the jump from the GF 6 series to 7. Theres nothing extrodinarly different. The part where "I'm getting ripped off" seems to come in is Vista supporting while no games, nor XP, does.

Ya just can't go buying rediculously expensive top of the line hardware (unless money isn't an object) and bitch cause you got ripped off when your 1000$ Quad-C gets wooped by an overclocked 200$ C2D 6400. Take responsibility to research. If the lion sees you shake, your dead.

These DX10 cards make a unplayable at max FEAR fluid. Probably the best solution for DX9 right now is the 8800GTS 320. 300 bucks for 40%+ performance of most stand-alone DX9 cards. It won't put you in 'the poor house' and you've got DX10 when needed. My 2 cents.
February 18, 2007 4:13:23 PM

Quote:
well okay i guess this statement is true. But seriously dont you guys think that the amount of money people are paying for this product , they arent exactly getting that sort of support , look i didnt say performance i said support , like drivers and actual applications which utilize the product .

For much I search, I can´t find the word support on your post...

Quote:

I am so sure that the 8800gtx is going to really struggle by this summer Laughing

Hats off to Microsoft and Nvidia for manipulating people into thinking they are buying a piece of a pie they cant even taste. Laughing
February 18, 2007 5:05:23 PM

Quote:
these are just my thoughts on the subject and are not meant towards anyone , everyone has a right to their opinion .

You didn't say anything about support when you started this posting.

Besides, with the cheaper 8800's selling for the same amount as a top line X1950 and giving better frame rates wtc, it seems to make sense to me to buy a 8800 GTS or better for use in a DX9 machine, even if no migration to Vista and DX10 is intended. When the R600 comes out, then there will be even more competition in the supremely fast DX9 area with the option of Vista/DX10 when the games finally appear.
February 18, 2007 5:12:05 PM

Quote:

these are just my thoughts on the subject and are not meant towards anyone , everyone has a right to their opinion .Nvidia already has working Direct X10 drivers, which is a lot more than I can say for ATI at the moment.
Quote:
* Adds support for GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
* Beta driver for NVIDIA SLI™ support for GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS GPUs
* This driver supports the following features:
o Single GPU support
+ DirectX 9 support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
+ DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
+ OpenGL support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
o NVIDIA SLI support
+ DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
+ OpenGL support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
* DirectX 9 and OpenGL NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs and DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver
* If you would like to be notified of upcoming drivers for Windows Vista, please subscribe to the newsletter
* Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, and known compatibility issues

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.64.html
February 18, 2007 5:26:06 PM

Quote:

Yep! DX10 is currently as useful as that bluray player in the PS3.
Although as someone already said, the dx10 support is more a bonus. Bluray wont play normal DVD's any better. PS3 = Con

The DX10 cards do outperform the dx9 ones in dx9 mode though. The 8800GTS 320mb is a great bargain, don't really care too much for the other models though.
February 18, 2007 6:15:39 PM

Quote:
yes, but ATI don't have a card out yet. Nvidia have had one out for long enough that a proper driver for dx10 shouldn't have been too much to ask for.

you can't say their driver support for the 8800 series has been top notch can you.

so finally a non beta driver for the 8800 series? o_O
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 6:19:46 PM

Quote:
Nvidia already has working Direct X10 drivers, which is a lot more than I can say for ATI at the moment.

What a lame excuse for nV's poor drivers.

Seriously, I understand you're reacting to Slapper's comments, but you implication is that nV's non-WHQL beta drivers are somehow better, when you haven't seen ATi's betas.

But comparing official driver to official driver, ATi leads DX9, and they're both tied at nil for DX10. As for the betas, the difference is you don't have access to ATI betas, which isn't a big deal anyways since they have no hardware for you right now. But what do you want to bet that the day that they are released they have working WHQL drivers with DX10 support? The testing is being done by the catalyst crew beta boyz, not buy the public/consumers.

Both of those items may change, but for now there's not much to write home about.

The main thing is DX10 is irrelevant until later in the years (as if the early demos are any good, heck the non-nV ones look like they were made on DX8); that being said it's further irrelevant since most people buy the GF8800 series because of their awesome legacy performance, and DX10 will just be the gravy when it arrives.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 6:27:33 PM

Quote:

so finally a non beta driver for the 8800 series? o_O

Yeah for XP. :wink:

They were supposed to have something WHQL in early Feb, but they just launched another beta 100.64 to replace the 100.59 which replaced beta 100.53.

But supposedly 100.65 have WHQL certification, but it seems nV doesn't want anyone to have them ( :?: 8O :?: );

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1581
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1582

So maybe they're closer than we think.
This will be good news to DELL, and to people not aware of the beta community. Now just to see the tests.
February 18, 2007 6:56:25 PM

Quote:

I see what you're saying, and with the struggling I'm willing to bet that 8800gtx will struggle in crysis with max settings 1024x768.

But, I wouldn't exactly blame microsoft, as they were mainly responsible for releasing DX10.
February 18, 2007 7:08:34 PM

Quote:

you can't say their driver support for the 8800 series has been top notch can you.

and all we XP users are going to get screwed by XP driver support as well `cause all they want is a decent Vista driver.
But anyway 8800 is a great card for today games.Tommorow we`ll buy a new one.Its an expensive hobby :) 
February 18, 2007 7:33:26 PM

Quote:
Nvidia already has working Direct X10 drivers, which is a lot more than I can say for ATI at the moment.

Seriously, I understand you're reacting to Slapper's comments, but you implication is that nV's non-WHQL beta drivers are somehow better, when you haven't seen ATi's betas.

But comparing official driver to official driver, ATi leads DX9, and they're both tied at nil for DX10. As for the betas, the difference is you don't have access to ATI betas, which isn't a big deal anyways since they have no hardware for you right now. But what do you want to bet that the day that they are released they have working WHQL drivers with DX10 support? The testing is being done by the catalyst crew beta boyz, not buy the public/consumers.

Both of those items may change, but for now there's not much to write home about.

The main thing is DX10 is irrelevant until later in the years (as if the early demos are any good, heck the non-nV ones look like they were made on DX8); that being said it's further irrelevant since most people buy the GF8800 series because of their awesome legacy performance, and DX10 will just be the gravy when it arrives.I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking ATI, but some reason this guy has a problem with an Nvidia product he doesn't even own. You and I both know this guy's intention, and while yeah, Nvidia's driver support hasn't been perfect with the 8800s, he's criticizing them even though his preferred brand has less to offer at the moment.
February 18, 2007 7:37:29 PM

Quote:

The main thing is DX10 is irrelevant until later in the years (as if the early demos are any good, heck the non-nV ones look like they were made on DX8); that being said it's further irrelevant since most people buy the GF8800 series because of their awesome legacy performance, and DX10 will just be the gravy when it arrives.I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking ATI, but some reason this guy has a problem with an Nvidia product he doesn't even own. You and I both know this guy's intention, and while yeah, Nvidia's driver support hasn't been perfect with the 8800s, he's criticizing them even though his preferred brand has less to offer at the moment.

tell that to the thousands who are angrily yelling at the nvidia forum ( of course... nvidia getting them deleted and banned )
same in Valvle games due of the fog bug ( caused by the driver )<--(EDIT) typoo.. not valvlegames, valvle forums.
mostly about Source engine's fog problems
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2007 7:44:27 PM

I agree with you, like I said, I assumed/believed you were just reacting to the Slapper crap. But I think we can say the GF8 series is great without trying to make excuses for what are weak drivers right now. They need to fix that, but it doesn't detract from the part IMO as it's a separate issue, just like any company trying to react to the new marketplace. And compared to some other hardware companies out there, they're doing well (Oh BTW, did I mention CREATIVE SUX !?!). I just wouldn't start comparing unreleased products yet that's all, and for the comparable drivers in DX9, things aren't all rosey there. I suspect neither company will be working up to our previous expectations until June/July.

However like we all mention, it's the DX9 that makes the GF8 series a great buy, especially compared to the same dollar just 4 months ago. And things are getting better all the time for the GF8800 class cards as the shortcoming reduce over time.

Sure if you compare the GF8800 with something new by the time the games ship it may seem a little less robust, but that's to be expected, and if you have to buy something now for long term, nothing beats the gF8800 regardless of every other aspect.
February 18, 2007 8:02:24 PM

Quote:
sorry, i am blind. where did he mention ATI.
I'm sorry but, if Nvidia is not his brand of choice, what else would he be buying? :?
February 19, 2007 1:02:17 AM

well I'm sick of people speculating on how the 8800 will perform in Crysis. If the damn card was made for DX10 and its a highend card then how will it struggle on one of the first DX10 games (on 1024x768 for christ's sakes) I don't think Crysis will be as taxing as some people are making it out to be.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 1:42:25 AM

Quote:
well I'm sick of people speculating on how the 8800 will perform in Crysis. If the damn card was made for DX10 and its a highend card then how will it struggle on one of the first DX10 games (on 1024x768 for christ's sakes) I don't think Crysis will be as taxing as some people are making it out to be.

Well it depends on how you look at it, theFX5800 had trouble with the first true DX9 games, and it was supposedly DX9 ready.
I don't think that any card will do awesome with everything turned up, but like FartCry, that's kinda to be expected from titles that want to be cutting edge, at least that's my usual expectation, mediocre at first, and the the next refresh after the games release, voila we tweaked something else in the design (like move to 512bit memory or something esle).

I suspect that the GF8800 will do better than 10x7, but like so many games before, like Oblivion, Fear, HL2/D3, I think Crysis and others (maybe UT3) are about to set new standards in system crunching gameplay. The question is where will the weakest point be, the CPU, VPU, Memory or the gamer on the other end who I grease from 200 yards! :twisted:
February 19, 2007 1:48:18 AM

Quote:
sorry, i am blind. where did he mention ATI.
I'm sorry but, if Nvidia is not his brand of choice, what else would he be buying? :?

obviooously he would be gaming on some integrated intel graphics
February 19, 2007 2:15:13 AM

Well correct me if I'm wrong but the FX series was a completely new architecture like the GF8800 Series (say goodbye to pipelines). You're right though, noone has a crystal ball and we'll just have to wait and see.
February 19, 2007 2:44:21 AM

Quote:
his problem is with dx10. true he does not use common sense and think about what happens every time a dx version is released but he does not indicate he would think differently if ATI were in the same position as nvidia.

for all we know he may very well say the same thing about ATI if they too release a card without working drivers to support one of the touted selling points.
He has yet to mention any of ATI's flaws; either way, he isn't worth our time.
February 19, 2007 3:02:46 AM

I think you, slashzapper, need to actually read tom's hardware before you post. because then you would have seen that not only is the 8800 series a good 1, but also the dx10 games are just around the corner. while it will be sum time before every game is dx10 it will be soon.
February 19, 2007 3:16:30 AM

Quote:

hi,

stfu.

-mpjesse
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 3:23:21 AM

Quote:
Well correct me if I'm wrong but the FX series was a completely new architecture.

As was the R9500/9700, but for different things. nV tried to do multi-loop/pass instead of more single pass (where we are now ironically) as they saw that as the future, and also they jumped to 32bit instead of the mid-point of 24bit (all that DX9 called for) so there were a few factors involved. As for how the GF8800 choices affect performance, we won't know until a different architecture can be compared against. Heck if all we had was the GF4 and a faster R8500 and the Parhellia to compare to, we may have thought that the FX was Awesome, and blamed DX9, etc for all the performance issues.

Quote:
like the GF8800 Series (say goodbye to pipelines). You're right though, noone has a crystal ball and we'll just have to wait and see.

Dont' get me wrong though I think that the GF8800 series will do at least OK with Crysis, as it's likely the main development platform of the past few months of tweaking and preparing the GOLD version of the game. So I would suspect that it'll be 'competant' but who knows what that gets us (D3 was developed on the FX5900 and R9800 series card, but they bogged down pretty hard when everythig was cranked).

No matter what I think the game will be playable with everything turned on w/ the GF8800, I just can't tell you at was rez, and whether the trade off of features vs resolution will benefit which option.
February 19, 2007 3:28:51 AM

Sheesh :roll: talk about injuring egos . Let make a few things clear before you people keep contemplating all sorts.

First of all to The great ape i agree with what you say , about beta drivers that is actually the support i was talking about in the deficient sense.

Secondly i am not arguing for Ati or against Nvidia , but instead what you get for a premium product.

600 dollars + for a product and crap service. You people are so stupid its funny , now you are saying that the g80 is a gr8 Dx9 card with Dx 10 as a added advantage :lol: 

Go to the Nvida website and see what the g80 is advertised for Dx10 gaming.

Sorry people but its very stupid to justify a 600 dollar card and compare it to last generation cards dx9 cards.

I think its harsh but its true Dx10 gaming is Far away from reality at least for the next 6 months . :) 

peace
February 19, 2007 3:37:07 AM

Quote:
You people are so stupid its funny , now you are saying that the g80 is a gr8 Dx9 card with Dx 10 as a added advantage

Ummm... it is. Unlike you, a lot of us actually play games at resolutions higher than 1024x768. I personally play crap at 1600x1200 w/ max settings and 16 FSAA. Doing so requires a bad ass card. And the 8800 GTX is bad ass in DX9 games. The fact that it'll be able to play DX10 games IS an added bonus.

I think you're jealous & angry because you can't afford one. But that's ok, it's a big boy's toy. You're probably best suited with a 7600GS or something.

Oh, and my penis is bigger than yours.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 3:42:09 AM

Quote:

First of all to The great ape i agree with what you say , about beta drivers that is actually the support i was talking about in the deficient sense.

Actually that worries me that we might be in agreement on something. 8O

Quote:
600 dollars + for a product and crap service. You people are so stupid its funny , now you are saying that the g80 is a gr8 Dx9 card with Dx 10 as a added advantage :lol: 

Go to the Nvida website and see what the g80 is advertised for Dx10 gaming.

Sorry people but its very stupid to justify a 600 dollar card and compare it to last generation cards dx9 cards.

However that's no different than the $600+ (heck $1000+ for SLi Xfire) people were paying for last generations cards at their launch, with nothing to add over the previous refresh other than speed). Now you have speed, features, and the $600 card beats that $1000 SLi/Xfire setup. That's mighty nice. And speaking of SLi/Xfire, consider their mediocre support the same as DX9 support, and afterthought. And people who can afford it usually don't care about such things, they just want the best/fastest now, and they know there'll be some issues, but it''s worht it if it means getting it now rather than in 2-4 months. Other people want it perfect at launch. The companies play to different markets differently.

BTW, I assume the st00pid funny comment is directed at me since I clearly promote the DX9 + DX10 gravy position. Well my ego's strong enough to know that my opinion is based on rational thouht, I don't know what yours is based upon, but forgeting the OGL2.1 / DX9-8-7-6 aspects is pretty ignorant IMO, as the GF8800 does awesome with that. Just look at Oblivion with everything cranked (finally with HDR+AA in their line too), Prey, etc at full 30" WS resolutions. That's great that the previous GEN struggled getting close to.

Quote:
I think its harsh but its true Dx10 gaming is Far away from reality at least for the next 6 months . :) 

True, but what if this is the only card you will buy for 2 years, and it's either an Xmasor Tax-Return 1 off type of thing, then the GF8800 is perfect. Not everyone can wait for the games to ship, and while that is my ongoing recommendation for anyone wanting to play a specific title (hey if you want the best Crysis hardwaRE, THEN BUY IT WHEN CRYSIS LAUNCHES, not now when we're guessing), however some people need their PC built now fo others things, like Surfing, Editing, or even just want to play DX9 and older titles now. For people who need to buy now the GF8800 is a fantastic card for anyone in the above $300 market. But it's off course not a 'value' play, but it can often be a bang/buck play if the goal is long term (many people here are still upgrading systems from the R9500/9700 FX5900 generation) so the once in 2-4 years upgrade this is the perfect path (despite my prefering people wait until at least the R600 shows it's architetural differences and capabilities [not for preference of A vB, just for reference for such a purchase]).

I don't know what your original point of your post was, the only thing I can agree with is that anyone buying OR selling a GF8800 for JUST on the DX10 alone, is ignorant and worthy of criticism, but if that was your goal, you burned alot of good reasons alongside that, and essentially are throwing the baby out with the bathwater IMO.

Just my view from the cheap seats...... where all the beer is. :mrgreen:
February 19, 2007 4:19:01 AM

wow good job calling everyone stupid, ok so obviously no dx10 game is out, but when has the pricing changed, every 6 months or so ur gona get a new batch of cards, 600 for the top high end, 400 for the low/mid, 200 for the mid rangeand 100 for the low end of cards in that rung. seriously if u think this pattern is gona stop u might as well dunk ur head in a bucket of water and take a deep breath.

like said before, these cards kill in dx9 and will be fine in dx10. just because u want to wait for dx10 games does not mean ppl cant play their games now and coming soon games at max settings

i agree that their dx10 drivers should hav been working better, but if u ignore the power that the cards put, and again it will be fine running dx10 crysis even if not max settings. and it kinda pains me that the pattern of card generations that has been going on forever has slipped past you...thats also pretty sad that ur only look at dx changes and not card power

im guessing u call the people who bought a 7800gtx stupid instead of waiting for the 7900gtx, which shoudl hav waited till the 8800gtx, but didnt hold on their money long enough till the 8900gtx(future) came out, wich probably didnt hav enough money to put on the 9800gtx wich will(future) clearly be better, hope u get it. it destroys in dx9 and will perform well in dx10 later...nothing rong about that
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 5:53:36 AM

Quote:
wow good job calling everyone stupid,

You might wanna make it clearer, you're not replying to me, unless I'm mistaken.. :?:

As I don't remember saying the above in this thread, my 'EVERYONE ELSE IS STUPID' thread was a different one. :twisted:
February 19, 2007 7:05:04 AM

Quote:
You people are so stupid its funny , now you are saying that the g80 is a gr8 Dx9 card with Dx 10 as a added advantage

Ummm... it is. Unlike you, a lot of us actually play games at resolutions higher than 1024x768. I personally play crap at 1600x1200 w/ max settings and 16 FSAA. Doing so requires a bad ass card. And the 8800 GTX is bad ass in DX9 games. The fact that it'll be able to play DX10 games IS an added bonus.

I think you're jealous & angry because you can't afford one. But that's ok, it's a big boy's toy. You're probably best suited with a 7600GS or something.

Oh, and my penis is bigger than yours. Hmm very interesting post first of all let me clear all your statements

I play games at a higher res than 1024x768 , more like 1024x1280 with all the eye candy on :) 

Oh i am lawyer i wont say anything more :D  about my finances and being able to afford a 600 dollar card :D 

I really dont care how big your penis is 8O so lets keep the conversation to computer hardware :D 

I am well secure in my achievements in life , i dont need to get personal to get over any insecurities.

I am not jealous or angry at anyone , far from it infact i love the advice i get in this forum :) 

I had a opinion which i now i know is absolutely right , the g80 is a great Dx 9 the fastest in the world infact but it is not a good buy for dx 10 gaming over a long period of time say 2 years.

Oh and by the way i own a Ati x1950xtx a awesome card :D  you guys should buy this card , excellent buy :) 
February 19, 2007 7:25:53 AM

Quote:

Oh, and my penis is bigger than yours.
Hmm very interesting post first of all let me clear all your statements

I play games at a higher res than 1024x768 , more like 1024x1280 with all the eye candy on :) 

Oh i am lawyer i wont say anything more :D  about my finances and being able to afford a 600 dollar card :D 

I really dont care how big your penis is 8O so lets keep the conversation to computer hardware :D 

I am well secure in my achievements in life , i dont need to get personal to get over any insecurities.

I am not jealous or angry at anyone , far from it infact i love the advice i get in this forum :) 

I had a opinion which i now i know is absolutely right , the g80 is a great Dx 9 the fastest in the world infact but it is not a good buy for dx 10 gaming over a long period of time say 2 years.

Oh and by the way i own a Ati x1950xtx a awesome card :D  you guys should buy this card , excellent buy :) [/quote]1) 1280x1024 is still a relativly low resolution.
2) You're not a lawyer, nor have you moved out of your parent's house yet.
3) The X1950XTX is a horrible buy, and is less than half as fast as the 8800GTX.
February 19, 2007 7:40:05 AM

Quote:
it is not a good buy for dx 10 gaming over a long period of time say 2 years.

I think is kinda difficult to find a piece of hardware good for gaming after 2 years... And besides that, who cares?. When I want another video card, I just sell mine, and get the other one. The 8800 is already a DX10 card, thing that will help to keep its value in time. In "2 years" no DX9 card will be alive for gaming anyway.
February 19, 2007 7:49:00 AM

Quote:
it is not a good buy for dx 10 gaming over a long period of time say 2 years

There's a card that is a good buy for over 2 years? (assuming you like to stay the or near to the the king of the graphics hill)
February 19, 2007 8:19:52 AM

the 7950 gx2 is faster than your 8800 cards in some games. to buy one of these cards as many people did some months ago is silly. you dont really know how this card performs ..dx10 keep waiting and your card will be outdated with the 8900 and the r 600. the drivers from nvidia for your card have been pathetic. you surely loose the argument just wait until its the right time to buy which was not a few months ago
dx9 gaming will be going for a long time yet you better believe it
February 19, 2007 8:31:28 AM

Quote:
the 7950 gx2 is faster than your 8800 cards in some games. to buy one of these cards as many people did some months ago is silly. you dont really know how this card performs ..dx10 keep waiting and your card will be outdated with the 8900 and the r 600. the drivers from nvidia for your card have been pathetic. you surely loose the argument just wait until its the right time to buy which was not a few months ago
dx9 gaming will be going for a long time yet you better believe it

And what games are you speaking of that the 8800 gets beat by the 7950 gx2? And what resolutions?
February 19, 2007 9:01:35 AM

really i think the game was call of duty2. i read a very damming report in my computer magazine saying the 8800 cards underperform they have there own bench tests and the 8800 cards were dissapointing in performance to the previous king the 7950gx2 which is in australia 400 dollars cheaper than the 8800
i am going to buy a dx10 card soon when the r600 and the 8950gx2 come out and when some benchmarks be come available of dx10 games with better drivers and a more informed decision can be made
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 10:12:58 AM

Quote:
Well people cant scam themselves without being led on , whats with releasing Vista and saying that it is a great gaming platform blah blah

while its crashing all over the place , and nvdia releasing cards with DX10 drivers that is just sad .

Promising to deliver something which may never see the light :lol:  :roll: :twisted:

You're right about Vista being a scam by at least some accounts: It appears to be MS's attempt to remove as many hardware controls from the equation as possible, making what used to be a light CPU load a heavy one. Perhaps he feels he can better control your content this way.

I remember when he bragged that Windows XP was going to bring us out of Bill Clinton's recession by forcing people to buy new hardware...
February 19, 2007 4:23:40 PM

Quote:
Oh i am lawyer i wont say anything more about my finances and being able to afford a 600 dollar card

For being a lawyer, your written English skills suck. Now move on and go spout out some legal mumbo jumbo in a lawyer forum.
February 19, 2007 5:03:25 PM

Quote:
really i think the game was call of duty2. i read a very damming report in my computer magazine saying the 8800 cards underperform they have there own bench tests and the 8800 cards were dissapointing in performance to the previous king the 7950gx2 which is in australia 400 dollars cheaper than the 8800
i am going to buy a dx10 card soon when the r600 and the 8950gx2 come out and when some benchmarks be come available of dx10 games with better drivers and a more informed decision can be made

The 7950GX2 does not outperform an 8800GTX in COD2 :roll: Especially in resolutions of 1680X1050 or greater where people who purchase a card such as an 8800GTX should be gaming at anyway.

I run COD2 at 1680X1050 with 8XAA+MS and 16XAF with all in game options maxed out and stay pinned at my monitors refresh rate of 60hz since I use V sync. I seriously doubt a 7950GX2 can do the same and those settings.

If you really want to see the difference from a 7950GX2 to an 8800GTX then look at how they both do in newer shader heavy games such as Oblivion and Call of Juarez, the 8800GTX spanks the living piss outta the 7950GX2.

COD2 is an older game now and is not really good for showing how strong an 8800GTX is.

let's not forget that with a 8800gtx, you can add another 8800gtx , get sli and run the games INSANELY fast
while if you get another X2, the performance boost will be almost null, dual cards are good, but 4 arent well supported.

in short words, a Gx2 isnt as much upgradeable :o 
February 19, 2007 10:48:23 PM

Quote:
I have been reading various threads on this forum and i (use capital I) am amazed that (that and how don't go together)

Isnt (there is supposed to be an apostrophe) there something wrong with this , (another extra space and it's a question, so you need a question mark) its (missing an apostrophe) almost like companies are selling white elephants to people which (that should be who) are never going to get used ,(you have an extra space there, and as far as the sentence goes--huh?)

I am so sure (like, Oh my God) that the 8800gtx is going to really struggle by this summer :lol: 

Hats off to Microsoft and Nvidia for manipulating people into thinking they are buying a piece of a pie they cant (umm, apostrophe missing again)even taste. :lol: 

Well, Mr. Liar...I mean Lawyer, I can only surmise after all your posts that you are undergoing a strong case of video card envy. Anyway, I use this card quite a bit that you say is never going to get used. I use it to play all current games on the highest possible settings and the card still yawns at the workload. I'm enjoying the heck out of my 8800GTX and count me in with the crowd who says the fact that it's Direct X 10 compatible is icing on the cake. The $600 I paid was a no-brainer and I'm having a ton of fun right now. It's a great card, and I highly doubt it's going to struggle with the newer Direct X games coming out. Besides, that's going to be a while and even if it does struggle (which nobody can prove), I'll either buy another card or go SLI with my current setup.

Microsoft and Nvidia have manipulated nobody. I personally won't go with Vista until there's at least a SP1, but nobody is holding a gun to my head telling me I have to buy into anything. Nvidia doesn't need to produce Direct X 10 drivers until that needs them. When they do, I'm sure Nvidia will be on top of it.

Heretofore, Mr. Lawyer, I rest my case that you are indeed helplessly jealous and therefore have come to the forums seeking validity for your inane assumptions.

Now brush your teeth, get your jammies on and go to bed. If you save enough of your allowance instead of blowing it on candy, you soon can have a card like the 8800GTX. Can you say Oblivion outdoors at 1600 x 1200 all options on, 4x AA and 16x AF with no slowdown whatsoever? Sweet dreams, kid.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2007 11:19:51 PM

Quote:
Can you say Oblivion outdoors at 1600 x 1200 all options on, 4x AA and 16x AF with no slowdown whatsoever? Sweet dreams, kid.

i can :lol:  :lol: 

not me :cry: 

not with my 68gt@1680x1050.
its horrible.
!