hitman24

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
i was just wondering if my summer upgrades would be in vein because this pc is 939.
specs
amd 3800+
1gb ram
250gb har drive
2 dvd drives
stock psu
integrated video (6100)

upgrades
an 8800
new psu
another stick of ram
vista
or
i could try and sell this one to someone and get an intel core 2 duo but that would be harder to do.
thanks

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Overclock that cpu as much as you can, then upgrade and you'll have a pretty nice system.

Edit- Is that a single core or a X2? You can always check ebay for a X2 to better multitask. At newegg 939 prices are obsolete compared to AM2. It would help also in upcoming games, but by now, your cpu is on pair with a X2 at the same freq. for gaming or at any single threaded app.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Do like the previous poster said, and overclock your current sys to the max. Save your money and stay away from Vista until SP-1. Same with the new CPU, save the $$$ for a C2D upgrade when you can afford it. Buy new parts that you can transfer to the new system when your ready for the major upgrade, like the GPU and PSU.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
There's no point in spending money on new PSU, more ram and vista on that box.
Ebay your whole box and get a core 2 duo + an 8800 and stick with XP (for now).
You won't be sorry.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
There's no point in spending money on new PSU, more ram and vista on that box.
Ebay your whole box and get a core 2 duo + an 8800 and stick with XP (for now).
You won't be sorry.

ok so he still spends money on a new psu (to run the 8800)
and still has to buy new ram(ddr2) + a new mobo. :roll:

You didn't actually list what brand and model integrated video M/B you presently have, or whether you have any overclocking skills at all which you've already been advised to do.

Jumping into the Vista pool right now is kinda stupid, its a brand new operating system, its got bugs, driver issues, apps not supported, and some of those things will take the first SP to resolve, and performance wise WinXP beats it on literally every count.

But its your headaches, driver searches, and time, and misery loves company, so I'm sure there will be Vista flag wavers that think I just stabbed papa micro.

I would wait at least 6 months, or the release of the first Vista service pack, before jumping in that cess pool, but its really up to you, so whoever is pushing you to go Vista, inquire about the problems they're running into, if they say they have no problems what so ever, they're either lying, or all they do is email and surf the net.

Do you have any skills at overclocking?

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
you might want to pick up a dual core 939 processor soon though cos i see that theyre becoming harder and harder to source

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Do like the previous poster said, and overclock your current sys to the max. Save your money and stay away from Vista until SP-1. Same with the new CPU, save the $$$ for a C2D upgrade when you can afford it. Buy new parts that you can transfer to the new system when your ready for the major upgrade, like the GPU and PSU.
A power supply upgrade would be necessary to run the 8800
QFT