Motherboard voltage issue?

christinab

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I just build my super budget system (less than $600....Wife put me on strict budget) and I'm having some concerns on readings I'm getting in SpeedFan. It registers that my +12v power is only at 5.89v. I changed to two different PSU's and I'm getting the same reading. There are no configurations available for my MB so was wondering if this could be a reading from the MB that is somehow not being read correctly by SpeedFan?

Thanks for any help.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Download everest ultimate and recheck the voltage. I think it's a bad reading.
But even if everest shows the same numbers, you're ok since it is stable. Put it to stress and see if it is fully stable.

christinab

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Next question would then be "Is this a proprietary chip that SpeedFan may not be reading correctly?" I tried SpeedFan, SensorsView Pro, and Everest Ultimate at work and all of them couldn't identify the sensor in the HP dc5100 I have here at work. Could this be the same situation where the chip for some reason only is registering 5.89v? Also I started to receive errors on boot up from the 7800GT saying that there isn't enough power for the card, yet using SpeedFan there isn't a bit of flucuations in my power readings. Could the unusual sensor readings from the chip send info to the 7800GT telling it there isn't enough power when there is?

Also am taking a DMM home with me tonight from work and getting a solid reading on what the +12v rail is actually giving me.