How to identify files that have been encrypted with EFS?

Hello,

How do I go about identifying files that my users have encrypted with EFS?

I'm going to disable it, but want to make sure that I can identify what
files are encrypted (through some command line means, I'm not going to look
through every folder in windows explorer).

Also, when I delete the default DRA that's in place, will any encrypted
files that I've missed suddenly become useless? Will the user be able to
decrypt them, but not encrypt them? Or can they still use them normally?

Hi Daniel,

I am not sure about Windows 2000, but in Windows XP there is a tool called
"Cipher". If you run it as

cipher /s:c:\

it will list your files and their properties (encrypted or unencrypted).

If you remove DRA users will still be able to open the files as long as they
have their private keys. If they for some reason they lose their keys, there
will be no "backup keys" since you removed your DRA.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

Daniel Peterson wrote:

> How do I go about identifying files that my users have encrypted
> with EFS?
>
> I'm going to disable it, but want to make sure that I can identify
> what files are encrypted (through some command line means, I'm not
> going to look through every folder in windows explorer).
Hi

Using a VBScript is an option:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=%23aWczwhTEHA.3332%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: