Optical drives gone missing

RATTY

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
I updated Spybot search and destroy two days ago to V1.4. The next time I started my computer I saw the following message before Windows loaded:
"Secondary hard disc drive 0 not found
press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup"
In the setup utility the options for secondary drive 0 showed "unknown device" or "off"
After starting Windows neither of my two optical drives appear in Windows Explorer or in the list of devices in the device manager control panel.
I did a "recovery" of the registry files listed in the recovery window of Spybot but to no avail.
Is it possible that Spybot has somehow altered settings that would account for this problem?

If it is, as someone has suggested, a problem with the drivers, any idea how would I update/re-install them since neither of the 2 drives appear in the device manager window?
Any ideas on how to fix? I'm at a loss.
System: Dell Dimension 4550, Win XP pro-sp2 with CD drive (Dell) & Benq DW1640 DVD drive

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Have you tried uninstalling the drives and then reinstalling one at a time? If you have the XP disk, try a Repair, boot off the CD and when asked do a repair. Also, check out the Microsoft Support website. Optical drives use Windows drivers. Worse case, back up you data and do a clean install of Windows.