catching skarmory

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2004 6:29:12 PM

Anyone have any luck catching Skarmory? I have used ultraballs out the kazoo
with no sucess. Also used timerballs after the battle had been going on for
sometime, but again, to no avail.

Anyone have a tip for me before I start pulling hair?

More about : catching skarmory

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 6:30:50 PM

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Wulfbayn wrote:
> Anyone have any luck catching Skarmory? I have used ultraballs out the
> kazoo with no sucess. Also used timerballs after the battle had been going
> on for sometime, but again, to no avail.
>
> Anyone have a tip for me before I start pulling hair?

Nope. Had my Electrike Thunder Wave it, then got it down into the red,
threw a normal Pokeball and got it on my first try...

May 17, 2004 10:39:39 PM

"Wulfbayn" <ctwalker99nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have any luck catching Skarmory? I have used ultraballs out the
kazoo
> with no sucess. Also used timerballs after the battle had been going on
for
> sometime, but again, to no avail.
>
> Anyone have a tip for me before I start pulling hair?

Not reached Skarmory yet, but I've got several which I assume are trickier,
so here's some general tips:

Keep track of the number of turns used! 2vs2 battles seem deceptively long
since four commands are issued in each round. Each time a round ends, keep
a tally. The Timer Balls get more effective every ten rounds, so this tally
can come in useful.

Use sleep moves before paralysis moves. Sleeping Pokémon are easier to
catch than paralysed Pokémon, IIRC, but even if that's not true, sleeping
Pokémon wake up eventually, so it's worth trying the sleep moves so that
your paralyser remains healthy among your four back-ups.

Confusion, poison and burns are bad. Try to avoid keeping out Pokémon such
as Slugma, which burns on contact, as you risk killing it inadvertantly.

And finally, if its HP's in the red, it's asleep or paralysed, you're
throwing Ultra Balls and Timer Balls, and it's STILL not staying
inside...statistically, it eventually will.

The best hint I can give: Play with your GameCube near enough so you can
reset without getting up. Seventeen times I had to reset to get a female
Croconaw. Arr.

Steffan
May 18, 2004 2:22:50 AM

STEFFAN HEDD ALUN wrote:

> "Wulfbayn" <ctwalker99nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone have any luck catching Skarmory? I have used ultraballs out the
> kazoo
> > with no sucess. Also used timerballs after the battle had been going on
> for
> > sometime, but again, to no avail.
> >
> > Anyone have a tip for me before I start pulling hair?
>
> Not reached Skarmory yet, but I've got several which I assume are trickier,
> so here's some general tips:
>
> Keep track of the number of turns used! 2vs2 battles seem deceptively long
> since four commands are issued in each round. Each time a round ends, keep
> a tally. The Timer Balls get more effective every ten rounds, so this tally
> can come in useful.
>
> Use sleep moves before paralysis moves. Sleeping Pokémon are easier to
> catch than paralysed Pokémon, IIRC, but even if that's not true, sleeping
> Pokémon wake up eventually, so it's worth trying the sleep moves so that
> your paralyser remains healthy among your four back-ups.
>
> Confusion, poison and burns are bad. Try to avoid keeping out Pokémon such
> as Slugma, which burns on contact, as you risk killing it inadvertantly.
>
> And finally, if its HP's in the red, it's asleep or paralysed, you're
> throwing Ultra Balls and Timer Balls, and it's STILL not staying
> inside...statistically, it eventually will.
>
> The best hint I can give: Play with your GameCube near enough so you can
> reset without getting up. Seventeen times I had to reset to get a female
> Croconaw. Arr.

Another thing to keep out is Misdreaveus with Pain Split along with a LOT of
potions and revives. A pokemon can Shadow Rush itself to fainting.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:38:22 AM

"Disruptor" <dangaioh@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Another thing to keep out is Misdreaveus with Pain Split along with a LOT
of
> potions and revives. A pokemon can Shadow Rush itself to fainting.

I've not seen much of a problem with that myself. Sure, one or two Pokémon
have knocked themselves out with recoil on me, but it doesn't happen so
frequently that I think it's worth sacrificing a place on my team to keep a
Misdreavus with me.

If you keep Pain Splitting, you have to chip away at health again to weaken
it enough to capture it. This means you waste too much time weakening it
and not getting enough of a chance to use Balls. It must also cost a
fortune in the all-too-expensive Revives and Hyper/Max Potions.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:37:33 AM

"Wulfbayn" <ctwalker99nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have any luck catching Skarmory? I have used ultraballs out the
kazoo
> with no sucess. Also used timerballs after the battle had been going on
for
> sometime, but again, to no avail.
>
> Anyone have a tip for me before I start pulling hair?

Thanks for all the help. I guess I just hit a string of bad luck.
Statistically, I should have had it. I will go back fresh and try again. May
have been some kind of glitch or some such thing. Pissed off the pokemon
Gods or ........
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:10:51 AM

> Thanks for all the help. I guess I just hit a string of bad luck.
> Statistically, I should have had it. I will go back fresh and try again.
May
> have been some kind of glitch or some such thing. Pissed off the pokemon
> Gods or ........

Heh, we've all been there. Thing is, although it seems ridiculous, odds are
you haven't tried as often as you'd think. The Pokémon I spent the most
time catching was the Southern Island Latios, but it only really took four
resets. Rayquaza, on the other hand, took about a million, but it doesn't
seem as bad since Ray's MEANT to be difficult to catch.

Meanwhile, getting a female Croconaw took seventeen goes, but since I reset
as soon as I saw gender, it didn't take too long. This is another reason to
keep track of the number of turns - when it feels like it's been a million,
it's probably just been five or six.

It's always irritating when you waste balls trying to catch something basic
and consistently fail.

Steffan
!