question for those with Comcast

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 30, 2004 6:32:15 PM

When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
difference?

Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
not...but how about the sound? I am writing this at work and cannot
remember the back of the TV, but there are 5 plugs from the cable box
to the tv. (3 are the component video cables...do not recall what the
other 2 are...are they the audio cables?)

Thanks,

Eddie G

More about : question comcast

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:31:33 PM

"Eddie G" <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message
> When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
> non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
> see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
> By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
> from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
> difference?
>
> Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
> still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
> not...but how about the sound? I am writing this at work and cannot
> remember the back of the TV, but there are 5 plugs from the cable box
> to the tv. (3 are the component video cables...do not recall what the
> other 2 are...are they the audio cables?)

The Comcast guy was right... but it depends on your TV. Some TV's have
better signal processing of analog than the set top box has - for instance,
a TV with a Faroudja DCDi line doubler/interpolator is going to look a heck
of a lot better than a set top box without. 3D filters can also make a
difference on improving analog.

Unfortunately, most HDTV's turn off all their fancy signal processing when
using the DVI or component inputs.

Did Comcast tell you the DVI output on the STB was enabled? My STB has one
but it doesn't have the firmware to drive it.

you will still need your digital audio cable (coax or optical) to carry the
DD5.1 to your home theater amp.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 12:38:22 AM

Thanks everyone...regarding the sound question, I will be running a digital
optical cable from the cable box to the receiver, but my question was
regarding the tv's speakers.

Eddie G

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Eddie G" <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
> > non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
> > see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
> > By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
> > from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
> > difference?
> >
> > Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
> > still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
> > not...but how about the sound? I am writing this at work and cannot
> > remember the back of the TV, but there are 5 plugs from the cable box
> > to the tv. (3 are the component video cables...do not recall what the
> > other 2 are...are they the audio cables?)
>
> The Comcast guy was right... but it depends on your TV. Some TV's have
> better signal processing of analog than the set top box has - for
instance,
> a TV with a Faroudja DCDi line doubler/interpolator is going to look a
heck
> of a lot better than a set top box without. 3D filters can also make a
> difference on improving analog.
>
> Unfortunately, most HDTV's turn off all their fancy signal processing when
> using the DVI or component inputs.
>
> Did Comcast tell you the DVI output on the STB was enabled? My STB has one
> but it doesn't have the firmware to drive it.
>
> you will still need your digital audio cable (coax or optical) to carry
the
> DD5.1 to your home theater amp.

July 31, 2004 2:05:37 AM

Eddie G <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote:
} When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
} non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
} see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
} By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
} from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
} difference?

I've found the non-HD channels to look better from the 480i svideo
output than they do from the component outputs upconverted to 1080i.
I didn't try using the component outputs at 480i or 480p. The svideo
output on my VCR looks better than the svideo output on the comcast box.

} Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
} still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
} not...but how about the sound?

No you won't need the component cables. The sound is separate, I'm
using the digital coax output to my reciever.

--

Frank Ball frankb@sonic.net
Anonymous

Only glitch I found was occasional information messages generated by some
televisions regarding failure of the respective component or DVI input the
Comcast box is connected to. Seems there is a slight incompatibility problem
between some manufacturers processing and that of the Comcast box causing
this to happen. Seen with RCA, SONY, & HITACHI sets.
<frankb@sonic.net> wrote in message
> Eddie G <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote:
> } When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
> } non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
> } see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
> } By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
> } from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
> } difference?
>
> I've found the non-HD channels to look better from the 480i svideo
> output than they do from the component outputs upconverted to 1080i.
> I didn't try using the component outputs at 480i or 480p. The svideo
> output on my VCR looks better than the svideo output on the comcast box.
>

> } Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
> } still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
> } not...but how about the sound?
>
> No you won't need the component cables. The sound is separate, I'm
> using the digital coax output to my reciever.
>
> --
>
> Frank Ball frankb@sonic.net
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:05:39 AM

Yes - on my RCA it would work fine until you turned the tv off. Then
it would give some kind of error related to the signal protection.
Got Voom now, no problems with DVI there.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:23:00 -0400, "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Only glitch I found was occasional information messages generated by some
>televisions regarding failure of the respective component or DVI input the
>Comcast box is connected to. Seems there is a slight incompatibility problem
>between some manufacturers processing and that of the Comcast box causing
>this to happen. Seen with RCA, SONY, & HITACHI sets.
><frankb@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> Eddie G <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote:
>> } When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
>> } non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
>> } see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
>> } By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
>> } from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
>> } difference?
>>
>> I've found the non-HD channels to look better from the 480i svideo
>> output than they do from the component outputs upconverted to 1080i.
>> I didn't try using the component outputs at 480i or 480p. The svideo
>> output on my VCR looks better than the svideo output on the comcast box.
>>

>> } Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
>> } still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
>> } not...but how about the sound?
>>
>> No you won't need the component cables. The sound is separate, I'm
>> using the digital coax output to my reciever.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Frank Ball frankb@sonic.net

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 5:08:54 AM

Eddie G wrote:
> Thanks everyone...regarding the sound question, I will be running a
> digital optical cable from the cable box to the receiver, but my
> question was regarding the tv's speakers.

Turn 'em off...

> Eddie G
>
> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eddie G" <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
>>> non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I
>>> don't see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the
>>> regular one. By video mode I mean when you press the button on the
>>> remote to change from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone
>>> else noticed a difference?
>>>
>>> Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
>>> still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
>>> not...but how about the sound? I am writing this at work and cannot
>>> remember the back of the TV, but there are 5 plugs from the cable
>>> box to the tv. (3 are the component video cables...do not recall
>>> what the other 2 are...are they the audio cables?)
>>
>> The Comcast guy was right... but it depends on your TV. Some TV's
>> have better signal processing of analog than the set top box has -
>> for instance, a TV with a Faroudja DCDi line doubler/interpolator is
>> going to look a heck of a lot better than a set top box without. 3D
>> filters can also make a difference on improving analog.
>>
>> Unfortunately, most HDTV's turn off all their fancy signal
>> processing when using the DVI or component inputs.
>>
>> Did Comcast tell you the DVI output on the STB was enabled? My STB
>> has one but it doesn't have the firmware to drive it.
>>
>> you will still need your digital audio cable (coax or optical) to
>> carry the DD5.1 to your home theater amp.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 9:50:53 AM

"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<GiCOc.188397$IQ4.95323@attbi_s02>...
> Eddie G wrote:
> > Thanks everyone...regarding the sound question, I will be running a
> > digital optical cable from the cable box to the receiver, but my
> > question was regarding the tv's speakers.
>
> Turn 'em off...

I don't ALWAYS want to play the audio through the receiver, so what I
should have said was "with the dvi cable for video, how do I get the
sound through the tv from the cable box when watching HDTV programs".

Eddie G
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 12:10:48 PM

Unless you specifically want ot use them as centre fill in, switch original
tele's speakers off.
"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Eddie G wrote:
> > Thanks everyone...regarding the sound question, I will be running a
> > digital optical cable from the cable box to the receiver, but my
> > question was regarding the tv's speakers.
>
> Turn 'em off...
>

> > Eddie G
> >
> > "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Eddie G" <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> The Comcast guy was right... but it depends on your TV. Some TV's
> >> have better signal processing of analog than the set top box has -
> >> for instance, a TV with a Faroudja DCDi line doubler/interpolator is
> >> going to look a heck of a lot better than a set top box without. 3D
> >> filters can also make a difference on improving analog.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, most HDTV's turn off all their fancy signal
> >> processing when using the DVI or component inputs.
> >>
> >> Did Comcast tell you the DVI output on the STB was enabled? My STB
> >> has one but it doesn't have the firmware to drive it.
> >>
> >> you will still need your digital audio cable (coax or optical) to
> >> carry the DD5.1 to your home theater amp.

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:36:47 PM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:32:15 -0700, Eddie G wrote:

> When Comcast put in the HDTV box the technician told me that the
> non-hd channels might look better on the regular video mode. I don't
> see any difference between the HDTV video mode and the regular one.
> By video mode I mean when you press the button on the remote to change
> from DVD to VCR to CAMCORDER, etc. Has anyone else noticed a
> difference?
>
> Also, I will be getting a DVI cable. After I plug it in, would I
> still need the component cables that Comcast put in? I would think
> not...but how about the sound? I am writing this at work and cannot
> remember the back of the TV, but there are 5 plugs from the cable box
> to the tv. (3 are the component video cables...do not recall what the
> other 2 are...are they the audio cables?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eddie G

I have a DVI connection from my Comcast box to my Sony 50WE610. I also
have the cable connected directly to the TV so I can A/B the DVI with
the direct connection on the analog channels. The difference between the
pictures is very very small. If you put both signals up side by side the
DVI input looks ever so slightly better.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 7:37:13 PM

Eddie G wrote:
> "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Eddie G wrote:
>>> Thanks everyone...regarding the sound question, I will be running a
>>> digital optical cable from the cable box to the receiver, but my
>>> question was regarding the tv's speakers.
>>
>> Turn 'em off...
>
> I don't ALWAYS want to play the audio through the receiver, so what I
> should have said was "with the dvi cable for video, how do I get the
> sound through the tv from the cable box when watching HDTV programs".
>
> Eddie G

I don't recall your TV equipment, but the cable box has more then 1 output
and all should be active. Even the old L-R stereo hookups or a coax should
work depending on your TV inputs. You could then select the TV speakers
from your setup mode with your TV remote (or program a macro, depending on
style of remote).
!