Did http://192.168.100.1/ go away, is it me or my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Did http://192.168.100.1/ just go away? I can't bring it or it's info up on screen at all. Did I do something? When I go to the signal portion, it says "locked" Whazzat?

Is it me, my computer, my settings, my deodorant or my feet?

I thought I was having problems with my connection, modem, broadband provider (Charter ). I removed the splitter and connected the cable from the wall directly to the back of the modem and it seemed to get better for a while.

I have a new Motorola cable modem on order from newegg to replace my 3 year old LinkSys befcmu10. It should be here in a few days.

Ideas, opinions?

Thanks

riser

Illustrious
Explain your setup.. do you have a router in place?

If you do: reset your router, hook your computer up and test. Check IP addresses.

If you don't: Call your ISP provider.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks Riser.

For some mysterious reason, it's back on today. I did do a restart, etc. Reset the modem, etc. No, it's not on a router. I stopped using wireless and plugged a RJ45 cable into the back of the modem directly into the computer. Faster and more secure with my financial info.

I also dumped the splitter that was going between the wall, the modem and the VCR which I don't use anymore because I got Direct TV and use their recorder and connected the cable from the wall directly into the modem.

Since I dumped the splitter, it's much better, but still some connect problems. I don't know if it's the old LinkSys BEFCMU 10, but I've ordered a new Motorola Surf Modem from the egg which should arrive tomorrow. We'll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the input and interest.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
On my comcast account 192.168.100.1 is the address of my cable modem. For the most part the cable operator is going to have control of the modem, they just let you see it as favor.

192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 are typical LAN addresses for most routers. When configured with the default subnet mask you should not have any problem seeing your cable modem with the router in place.

If you can see 192.168.100.1 with the router out of the loop then the router or a single cable may be misconfigured or bad.

Most cable providers temporaily LOCK your service to a particular MAC address. As a result you have to do a reboot of your cable modem (leave it off for a minut or two) and your router to allow a new device to associate with the cable modem. When I first signed up for cable internet; roadrunner (~1999) they hard locked to a MAC address. As a result if you changed network cards in your PC then you would have to call them up so they could reassign MAC addresses to your account 8O I remember when Linksys came out with one of the first routers for home use, calling roadrunner and telling them the MAC address for the router.

When you get into your modems status page (192.168.100.1) you may want to check out the transmit and recieve power levels. Too high of transmit power indicates a bad return path, To high a recieve power will burn out your cable modem, too low and noise is an issue. Splitters are commonly used to reduce the recieve power.

From my conversation with a good service tech: For my Motorola Surfboard the acceptable range of Downstream power levels is 5 to -10 dBmV. The Upstream power, lower is better, with 45dBmV being about as good as it gets.

Sorry, got a little long!

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
"When you get into your modems status page (192.168.100.1) you may want to check out the transmit and recieve power levels. Too high of transmit power indicates a bad return path, To high a recieve power will burn out your cable modem, too low and noise is an issue. Splitters are commonly used to reduce the recieve power.

From my conversation with a good service tech: For my Motorola Surfboard the acceptable range of Downstream power levels is 5 to -10 dBmV. The Upstream power, lower is better, with 45dBmV being about as good as it gets. "

Thanks for the info JJ.

I'm getting around 13.7 +/- 13.30 +/-dbmv downstream power. It seems to change about every 10-15 seconds.

Before I removed the 2 way (to the modem and VCR) splitter and attached the cable directly to the modem, I was getting in the 11. 5 +/- range.

Up stream power seems to hold fairly steady at 39.00 dbmv

SNR holds steady at 36-37 db.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
You may want to put the splitter back in line, try to pick up an attenuator.

I think you want to get your signal down to 5 to -10; if not you could burn out the cable modem. I haven't heard of it, but too high of a signal might saturate the reciever, degrading the signal. Too high of a signal doesn't really gain you anything.

Good luck.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I installed the new Motorola Surfboard SB5120 modem and I don't know if I can tell much difference between it and the old LinkSys BEFCMU 10 as far as speed.

The speed goes up and down and sometimes it's real slow, but that may be the traffic on my Charter Broadband provider or my neighborhood or the poor quality of my cable line. A service person is scheduled for this afternoon. I will have him check the incoming line and remove any traps on the line if possible.

If there were any alternatives to Charter cable broadband in this area, I would switch in a heartbeat.

I bumped up my service from 3000 kbps to "5000" kbps and I don't know if I can tell much difference in the speed. The old 3000 kbps seemed as fast as the 5k.

I can tell the difference between my new homebuilt (I'm so proud of myself for actually building it at my age.) and my old Fujitsu C2111 laptop.

My homebuilt is this:

Asus A8N 5X - AMD X2 3800 - 2 gig Corsair XMS2048 3200 - PNY Quadro NVS 440 PCIEX 16 - WD Caviar SE16 2500KS - Samsung 16X DVD+R DVD - Sony IDE DVD-ROM - Samsung 1.44 3.5 floppy - Cooler Master RS 450 - Cooler Master Centurion 5CAC-T05 - Logitech X-230 32 Watts RMS 2.1 Speakers-OEM - 2 AGM CW 19" wide screen monitors - MS XP Pro - NOD 32 and a new MS 4000 keyboard and a MS 6000 mouse.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks JJ.

You're right, the Charter cable tech came out yesterday and installed a new, better splitter that dropped the downstream power down 3.5 db's.

With the new Motorola Surfboard modem I installed I was getting 13 to 15+ downstream db's. The tech said it should be between minus 12 to 12. I'm showing 11 db right now.

Downloads still slow down sometimes, between 6 pm and 9 or 10 PM. Perhaps thats local traffic. I don't know yet.

If I could find another cable broadband provider, I'd switch.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks JJ.

I do use the Speakeasy speed test and sometimes during those "peak" times, I can't even get the test to come on.

There's also another speed test you can try it's :

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

It's somewhat slow today, one test shows 3824 down and 480 up, the other 2870 down, 412 up, so it's below what I'm paying for.

Maybe there's some bandwidth hog in the neighborhood.

Now Speedtest.net is showing 4722/491 Not a very reliable speed.

Queen of Hearts

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Or if someone is being an idiot in your hood, if they know you IP address, even if the don't, you can go to that website and basically block all other IPs from getting internet connection in order for them to allow for faster connections..It's been happening with my internet also which doesn't make sense at all, but it seems on the weekend, every weekend, I have no connection, My modem, cables, ethernets have all been replaced, I've reset the settings several times and basically even the cable guys are confused....so it leaves me to think that yes, if you go to I believe it's 192.168.100 I think from there you can see everyone who is connected and block anyone else who you don't want connected. It's not personal of course but it is a **** move....

blazinbear82

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

What the f are you talking about your an idiot....

make sure the transmit or tx power is between 32 and 52 receive power or rx -12 to 12 mer or snr or signal noise ration is grater then 32... 192.168.100.1 is the modems ip address and you can check the status of the signals you cant block other people in your neighborhood you idiot.... its possible the signal is been going bad do to a bad amp or something else in a pole. many reasons... the key though is to check your signal at the time the modem is been going down.. speedtest speakeasy all those are estimates and should be close to the speeds you are paying for ... and yes lots of people on at the sametime in one node (about 100 houses in a neighborhood) will slowdown your speeds. its called sharing bandwidth... but it should never be kicking you out. im sure some of you have levels out of the range i just specified and your modem is working well chances are greater for your modem to go down... and i dont mean your going to fry it you cant fry a modem unless you got electricity and high voltage going to it... its just not going to work .... adding a splitters will decrease receive power and increase transmit power simple addition and subtraction. add a 3.5 db splitter to a signal wtih rx 5.5 and tx 45.5 you get rx 2 and tx 49 dont worry about the mer thats something only your provider will be able to take care of. check your connections make sure they are tight no lose fittings. bad fittings cuts in lines... all that good stuff and last but not lease dont tamper with the cable thats why theres professionals. other wise they let you do your own installs. and if all this is good and you still having issues it could be a bad modembut you got to troubleshoot at the root you idiot not block your neighbors you freakin noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.