Want logon screen not to appear on boot

Carol

When we first installed XP Professional it didn't require a logon when
booting. Then we did something to it (not sure what) and now you have to
logon every time you boot up. Is there a way to get back to the condition
where logon is not required? I just want the computer to boot and
immediately start loading the things in my startup folder. Thanks.

Go to Start -> Run.
Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

control userpasswords2

Click OK.
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer".
In the box that pops up enter your user name and
password (you can leave the password box blank if your account
does not have a password).
Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.
--
Nepatsfan
"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When we first installed XP Professional it didn't require a
> logon when
> booting. Then we did something to it (not sure what) and now
> you have to
> logon every time you boot up. Is there a way to get back to
> the condition
> where logon is not required? I just want the computer to boot
> and
> immediately start loading the things in my startup folder.
> Thanks.

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

--
HTH
Meena
"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When we first installed XP Professional it didn't require a logon when
> booting. Then we did something to it (not sure what) and now you have to
> logon every time you boot up. Is there a way to get back to the condition
> where logon is not required? I just want the computer to boot and
> immediately start loading the things in my startup folder. Thanks.

Carol

Thanks, it worked!

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Go to Start -> Run.
> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> Click OK.
> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer".
> In the box that pops up enter your user name and
> password (you can leave the password box blank if your account
> does not have a password).
> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When we first installed XP Professional it didn't require a
> > logon when
> > booting. Then we did something to it (not sure what) and now
> > you have to
> > logon every time you boot up. Is there a way to get back to
> > the condition
> > where logon is not required? I just want the computer to boot
> > and
> > immediately start loading the things in my startup folder.
> > Thanks.

Glad to hear it.