MSDE 2000 SP3 Fails to install

MSDE 2000 SP3 fails to install on a windows 2000 terminal server. The error
message I get is "MSDE 200 SP3 installation failed with exit code 1603" and
“A strong password is required for security reasons. Please use SAPWD switch
to supply the same. Refer to read me for more details. Setup will now exit.�
I have come across this once before and removed the server from the domain,
in this case that is not an option. I have denied the read right to the
default domain policy which is the only policy that is applying. Anybody have
any ideas on how I can install this.
3 answers Last reply
More about msde 2000 fails install

    You did try use of the mentioned switch to supply a password
    for the SQL SA account ?
    Why did you think that group policy is involved with this?
    If this is a bundled install of MSDE as a part of some application,
    you should contact the vendor of that application.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "bob-jr" <bob-jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > MSDE 2000 SP3 fails to install on a windows 2000 terminal server. The
    error
    > message I get is "MSDE 200 SP3 installation failed with exit code 1603"
    and
    > "A strong password is required for security reasons. Please use SAPWD
    switch
    > to supply the same. Refer to read me for more details. Setup will now
    exit."
    > I have come across this once before and removed the server from the
    domain,
    > in this case that is not an option. I have denied the read right to the
    > default domain policy which is the only policy that is applying. Anybody
    have
    > any ideas on how I can install this.

    Roger
    I tried BLANKSAPWD=1 and I even tried setting a strong password, neither one
    worked. You are right; the install is part of HP's Insight Manager. I tried
    installing it separately, NG. Installing the same package on a test sever
    that is part of the domain failed. Then I took the test server and removed it
    from the domain, the install went flawlessly. I think your right I will have
    to call HP. A good part of me doesn’t want to be on hold. Another reason is I
    went through this before for other software, had NO support and removed the
    server from the domain. I guess you can say it is stubbornness.

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > You did try use of the mentioned switch to supply a password
    > for the SQL SA account ?
    > Why did you think that group policy is involved with this?
    > If this is a bundled install of MSDE as a part of some application,
    > you should contact the vendor of that application.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "bob-jr" <bob-jr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > MSDE 2000 SP3 fails to install on a windows 2000 terminal server. The
    > error
    > > message I get is "MSDE 200 SP3 installation failed with exit code 1603"
    > and
    > > "A strong password is required for security reasons. Please use SAPWD
    > switch
    > > to supply the same. Refer to read me for more details. Setup will now
    > exit."
    > > I have come across this once before and removed the server from the
    > domain,
    > > in this case that is not an option. I have denied the read right to the
    > > default domain policy which is the only policy that is applying. Anybody
    > have
    > > any ideas on how I can install this.

    Yes that does seem to indicate something like GPO, at least
    it establishes the issue is sensitive to domain membership.
    Howver, as one of my pet-peeves is that there are no policies
    for SQL (hence MSDE) available for use in GPO, it would
    seem it must be some other aspect of the installer relative
    to domain membership.
    As I understand what you mean about sitting on hold, you
    may want to experiment with tweaking the install package
    so that it does set an SA password (the SAPWD referred to)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810826
    I am however, perplexed as to why this behave differently when
    tried on a member verses stand-alone.
    Ultimately, especially if this is a recent drop of the HP software,
    they need to know of this.
    --
    Roger

Security Windows