Windows 2000 Pro Administrator Problem

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
February 2, 2005 4:13:02 PM

I have no idea how this happened, but all accounts on my Windows 2000 Pro
system
have lost administrator rights including the original administrator
account. Besides that one I have 2 other accounts with admin rights that were
recently added and shortly after that all rights were gone. I know absolutely
nothing about this operating system or it's security settings. Anyone have
any ideas or suggestions as to how this could have happened and how I can
resolve it? Someone could very well have messed with the priveleges from one
of the new accounts. I have absolutely no idea, but I would love to not have
to wipe this machine clean and start over.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 3, 2005 1:17:20 AM

The built in administrator account can not be removed from the
administrators group but can be renamed. It certainly sounds like someone
else accessed your computer as an administrator and has locked you out. See
the link below on a utility that you can download to give yourself access
again as the administrator. Then you have to take steps to secure your
computer so that it does not happen again such as using secure passwords,
not giving other untrusted users administrators account membership, logging
off your computer when not using it, not letting untrusted users have
physical access to your computers, etc. --- Steve

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...

!