Screen Saver not executing

I have a GPO that applies a screen saver to all of our systems except
one. This one particular system doesn't seem to want to execute the
screen saver and the user refuses to lock their station manually so I
need to enforce it for security reasons.

I have checked to make sure that the computer is properly added to the
Active Directory domain and it is. It is also able to execute login
scripts specified in the GPO so I know it is at least able to read it.
Also, I checked the registry keys manually in the user's profile and
they are set correctly
(HKLM\SID\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop). I
also checked the mouse to make sure it wasn't twitching or moving
resulting in the screen saver to not execute. I did find a TechNet
article on this (Article ID: 305357), but it says that the fix won't be
available until the next service pack.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might try?

Thanks,

Dave
1 answer Last reply
More about screen saver executing

    If you have specified a particular screen saver, make sure that is exists on
    the user's computer in the default folder. Otherwise you should be able to
    specify that the computer locks after a period of idle time regardless of
    the screen saver that the user has selected. If still a no go I would try to
    configure it via Local Group Policy [gpedit.msc] on that computer to see
    what happens or try to manually configure it on that computer and use Group
    Policy to hide the screen saver tab in display properties. The support tool
    gpresult and netdiag should be run on that computer to see what user
    configuration Group Policies are applied to the computer and it's network
    connectivity, name resolution, and secure channel to the domain. It sounds
    like you have a very uncooperative user and he/she may have screwed around
    with the computer settings and files. --- Steve

    "Dave" <dave@cob.rit.edu> wrote in message
    >I have a GPO that applies a screen saver to all of our systems except one.
    >This one particular system doesn't seem to want to execute the screen saver
    >and the user refuses to lock their station manually so I need to enforce it
    >for security reasons.
    >
    > I have checked to make sure that the computer is properly added to the
    > Active Directory domain and it is. It is also able to execute login
    > scripts specified in the GPO so I know it is at least able to read it.
    > Also, I checked the registry keys manually in the user's profile and they
    > are set correctly (HKLM\SID\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
    > Panel\Desktop). I also checked the mouse to make sure it wasn't twitching
    > or moving resulting in the screen saver to not execute. I did find a
    > TechNet article on this (Article ID: 305357), but it says that the fix
    > won't be available until the next service pack.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions that I might try?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

Security Windows