URGENT permissions horror! URGENT

I have made a very big mistake. Accidentally reset permissions on the root
c: drive and now noone can login to the server, not even administrator.

I need help urgently. Can anyone help me to get back in?
5 answers Last reply
More about urgent permissions horror urgent

    Here are a couple things to try. Try to access the computer remotely with
    something like psexec from SysInternals to see if you can bring up the
    command prompt on it and it you are comfortable with cacls try to add at
    least administrators to the root folder being sure to use the /E switch.
    Otherwise boot the computer from the install cdrom and do a parallel install
    of the operating system and from that OS you can change permissions for
    built in groups which should get you up and running again. Of course do NOT
    format anything if you try a parallel install. The links below explain
    more. --- Steve

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465

    "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have made a very big mistake. Accidentally reset permissions on the root
    > c: drive and now noone can login to the server, not even administrator.
    >
    > I need help urgently. Can anyone help me to get back in?

    What can you do? I realize you said you cannot login, but . . .
    The machine boots? Can you map c$ from another machine?

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have made a very big mistake. Accidentally reset permissions on the
    root
    > c: drive and now noone can login to the server, not even administrator.
    >
    > I need help urgently. Can anyone help me to get back in?

    Sorry for taking so long to respond. It was a very hectic time. The machine
    would not boot. I tried getting in by recovery console with no success.
    Tried the parallel install method (thanks Steven) but permissions were so
    mucked up it would have taken days to fix them all. Ended up having to
    redeploy the server - fortunately no data affected. It took about 8 hours.

    Thanks for your help. I learned a lot through this - never mess with
    permissions unless you are 100%, totally, absolutely sure of what you are
    doing.

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > What can you do? I realize you said you cannot login, but . . .
    > The machine boots? Can you map c$ from another machine?
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have made a very big mistake. Accidentally reset permissions on the
    > root
    > > c: drive and now noone can login to the server, not even administrator.
    > >
    > > I need help urgently. Can anyone help me to get back in?

    We could have pointed you at a way to reset the install
    partition to permissions as set in installion process.

    --
    > Sorry for taking so long to respond. It was a very hectic time. The
    machine
    > would not boot. I tried getting in by recovery console with no success.
    > Tried the parallel install method (thanks Steven) but permissions were so
    > mucked up it would have taken days to fix them all. Ended up having to
    > redeploy the server - fortunately no data affected. It took about 8 hours.
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I learned a lot through this - never mess with
    > permissions unless you are 100%, totally, absolutely sure of what you are
    > doing.
    >
    > "Roger Abell" wrote:
    >
    > > What can you do? I realize you said you cannot login, but . . .
    > > The machine boots? Can you map c$ from another machine?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger Abell
    > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > > "Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have made a very big mistake. Accidentally reset permissions on the
    > > root
    > > > c: drive and now noone can login to the server, not even
    administrator.

    > > > I need help urgently. Can anyone help me to get back in?

  5. Hi there,

    I'm having this exact problem.

    I've made a big mistake and set the permissions on c drive wrongly - with the result that the computer will not boot because the SYSTEM account cannot access C drive :(

    System is running Windows XP SP2.

    Is there any way I can reset the permissions without formatting C drive?

    If I will have to format C drive, can you advise the way I should go about doing this and reinstalling.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Matthew

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows