ipsec policy agent brings machine to its knees

Hi all
I tried turning on the IPsec policy agent on my win2k machine in
preparation for getting a VPN setup working, but the machine
immediately slowed to a crawl. The mouse pointer moves 10 seconds
after the mouse is moved, applications take 2-3 minutes to start, etc.
This happened after I tried following the detailed instructions on
the microsoft web page (more fool me?) for VPN. I recovered by booting
in safe mode and turning of the IPsec policy agent and getting rid of
the new policies. Then I found a similar set of instructions in the
back of the manual for a Linksys router, and I followed them very
carefully to make sure it wasn't an error the first time around. As
soon as I turn on IPsec policy agent, boom, the machine is dead and I'm
going to have to boot again in safe mode. Any thoughts as to what
could be going on? Any ideas appreciated.
-C

Thanks for the suggestion. Event viewer said "IPSEC driver service
failed to start due to the the following error: Cannot create a file
when that file already exists". There was a subsequent error "Unable
to create device object \Device\IPSEC. Initialization failed." Then
"IPSEC Policy Agent Service: Ipsec Driver failed to start."

Any thoughts as to what that all means?

I tried another experiment: start the IPsec policy agent first (no
problem, event viewer reports nothing) then assign the vpn policy rules
(instant death).
Baffled.

Steven L Umbach wrote:
> Normally ipsec polices do not cause such a problem though if
configured to
> "require" ipsec network services can come to a crawl if other network

> connections can not negotiate the ipsec security. Look in Event
Viewer to
> see any pertinent errors are recorded. If you have some sort of
corruption
> with the ipsec service you can try to uninstall and reinstall tcp/ip
as
> shown in the link below. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034
>
> "rockfox212" <rockfox212@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > I tried turning on the IPsec policy agent on my win2k machine in
> > preparation for getting a VPN setup working, but the machine
> > immediately slowed to a crawl. The mouse pointer moves 10 seconds
> > after the mouse is moved, applications take 2-3 minutes to start,
etc.
> > This happened after I tried following the detailed instructions
on
> > the microsoft web page (more fool me?) for VPN. I recovered by
booting
> > in safe mode and turning of the IPsec policy agent and getting rid
of
> > the new policies. Then I found a similar set of instructions in
the
> > back of the manual for a Linksys router, and I followed them very
> > carefully to make sure it wasn't an error the first time around.
As
> > soon as I turn on IPsec policy agent, boom, the machine is dead and
I'm
> > going to have to boot again in safe mode. Any thoughts as to what
> > could be going on? Any ideas appreciated.
> > -C

Normally ipsec polices do not cause such a problem though if configured to
"require" ipsec network services can come to a crawl if other network
connections can not negotiate the ipsec security. Look in Event Viewer to
see any pertinent errors are recorded. If you have some sort of corruption
with the ipsec service you can try to uninstall and reinstall tcp/ip as
shown in the link below. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034

"rockfox212" <rockfox212@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I tried turning on the IPsec policy agent on my win2k machine in
> preparation for getting a VPN setup working, but the machine
> immediately slowed to a crawl. The mouse pointer moves 10 seconds
> after the mouse is moved, applications take 2-3 minutes to start, etc.
> This happened after I tried following the detailed instructions on
> the microsoft web page (more fool me?) for VPN. I recovered by booting
> in safe mode and turning of the IPsec policy agent and getting rid of
> the new policies. Then I found a similar set of instructions in the
> back of the manual for a Linksys router, and I followed them very
> carefully to make sure it wasn't an error the first time around. As
> soon as I turn on IPsec policy agent, boom, the machine is dead and I'm
> going to have to boot again in safe mode. Any thoughts as to what
> could be going on? Any ideas appreciated.
> -C

I would try to reinstall tcp/ip to see if that helps. You should not have to
manually start the ipsec service. --- Steve