Sign in with
Your question

EPS PSU Questions and Compatability

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2007 6:16:10 PM

A few quick questions.

I bought the first version of CM Stacker 830 last year when Newegg had the $40 rebate (it was a great buy)...bow I see there are new versions supporting the new EPS 230mm PSU's. How hard would it be to fix that with my old version?

Secondly, what is an EPS PSU? Is it different from the ATX versions? Finally, I see PSU's on Newegg listed as ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V...does this mean they work in older cases as well?

Sorry if these are noobish questions, but I'm building a new system this summer and I want to know all the details before I jump in.
February 18, 2007 6:43:36 PM

Hello,
I found this on Google:
"EPS stands for Entry-Level Power Supply Specification, although it seems like one S was dropped from the acronym. EPS was developed by the SSI Forum which is a group that works on server standards and as such EPS is a standard for entry level servers. Intel has not gone for full EPS spec as the four-pin AUX connector is still present, whereas EPS utilises an eight-pin AUX connector.The advantage of this is that you can get a converter for current ATX PSUs that turns the 20-pin ATX connector in to a 24-pin EPS connector. "

Basically a EPS power supply has 24 pins while the older power supplies have only 20 pins. You will want ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V as part of your specs for your new power supply. The power supply physical size should fit, just measure your old PS and check the spec on the new PS. Before choosing, look at the Power Supply sticky in the power supply section. Don't go cheap
on the PS as it is the heart of the system.
February 19, 2007 9:16:39 AM

mpilchfamily is right, I got the standards mixed up. Whatever mpilchfamily says will trump all other answers to power supply questions.
Related resources
February 19, 2007 10:08:21 AM

EPS is an old standard, I wouldn't be surprised to find one that preceeds 8-pin 12V headers.

I think I had one that used 12-pin FLAT headers in an old server. That's right, a 24-pin and two AT-style connectors.

You'd be right concerning current power supplies, but no need to revise history.
February 19, 2007 9:03:18 PM

I guess now I just need to narrow down what PSU's I may consider purchasing and if they will fit in my case or not.

Thanks guys.
February 19, 2007 10:46:49 PM

The majority of extra-long power supplies fit in the majority of mid tower and larger cases.
!