Question about file permissions..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

How can i block a users rights to compress files and/or folders within a
share? We've got users who think they're us a favor by compressing all
their file server data. We want to stop it, or at the very least figure out
who's doing it (what would be the audit settings in that case?).

If i've posted to the wrong group(s), can you suggest where else i might
look?

Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about question file permissions
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

    A user needs write permissions to a file or folder to compress a folder so
    that may help you track it down unless everyone has write permissions. You
    can audit a folder/file for access by first enabling auditing of object
    access on the server and then auditing a folder. The problem is there is
    audit permission for compression though it may be recorded as a write
    permission. I suggest you notify all users, possibly through an email or
    logon text message, to not compress any files as it may interfere with
    backup operation [white lie] and slow network performance. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301640 --- how to
    audit folders/files.

    "jim" <what@ever.com> wrote in message
    > How can i block a users rights to compress files and/or folders within a
    > share? We've got users who think they're us a favor by compressing all
    > their file server data. We want to stop it, or at the very least figure
    > out
    > who's doing it (what would be the audit settings in that case?).
    >
    > If i've posted to the wrong group(s), can you suggest where else i might
    > look?
    >
    > Thanks!

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows