Completing Ruby Pokedex...

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2004 5:57:50 PM

OK, I guess this is extreme but my husband and I each bought a copy of Ruby
and Saphire...so that we each have both and can complet the Pokedex on one
for each of us. Right now I have all and need only to level up my torchic
and lileep to complete my Ruby Pokedex.

I wish there was a way to store the Pokes somewhere besides on the Ruby
cart. Wasn't there some utility for storing Pokemon called 'Box' that was
supposed to come out?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:55:52 PM

"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in news:yDoqc.272589
$e17.70232@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> OK, I guess this is extreme but my husband and I each
bought a copy of Ruby
> and Saphire...so that we each have both and can complet the
Pokedex on one
> for each of us. Right now I have all and need only to level
up my torchic
> and lileep to complete my Ruby Pokedex.
>
> I wish there was a way to store the Pokes somewhere besides
on the Ruby
> cart. Wasn't there some utility for storing Pokemon called
'Box' that was
> supposed to come out?
My birthday is coming up in couple of months time and my
girlfriend is talking about geting together with my relatives
and friends and getting me a gamecube.
There is an offer on at the moment for a gamecube,memory
card, pokemon coleseum and the pokemon box thingy for just
over £100 pounds.
Is this worth it? I don't have a gameboy advance and so am
rather dubious about it.
Ted

--
Evil is such a negative term........
I prefer differently moraled.

"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, I guess this is extreme but my husband and I each bought a copy of
Ruby
> and Saphire...so that we each have both and can complet the Pokedex on one
> for each of us.

You're certainly not the first member of the group to get both for yourself,
although you seem to be implying you bought four between two, which may be a
new record.

To have a complete Ruby and a complete Sapphire, you only really need one of
each and a third cart for the third starter, although four does make it much
easier.

> Right now I have all and need only to level up my torchic
> and lileep to complete my Ruby Pokedex.

Heh, yes, their families accounted for three of the last nine I needed on
Sapphire. Gorebyss ended up being my last.

> I wish there was a way to store the Pokes somewhere besides on the Ruby
> cart. Wasn't there some utility for storing Pokemon called 'Box' that was
> supposed to come out?

Yes. I intend to get this 'game' myself. You can technically only get it
when you buy a new GameCube, but if you don't already own a 'Cube, it's
certainly worth getting the bundle - console, Coli, Box. All for a
super-reasonable price. If you have a Cube already, though, and don't want
to have to buy a second one, try eBay. It's bound to be there, and it's how
I got my copy of the four Zelda games that came with Cubes for a while.

Steffan
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:11:04 PM

> Yes. I intend to get this 'game' myself. You can technically only get it
> when you buy a new GameCube, but if you don't already own a 'Cube, it's
> certainly worth getting the bundle - console, Coli, Box. All for a
> super-reasonable price. If you have a Cube already, though, and don't
want
> to have to buy a second one, try eBay. It's bound to be there, and it's
how
> I got my copy of the four Zelda games that came with Cubes for a while.

Actually we already have 2 cubes and Colosseum...have not seen 'Box'
available in any form in the US. Does this bundle exist in the US too?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:42:30 PM

> Actually we already have 2 cubes and Colosseum...

Then there's no need to bother. O:-)

> have not seen 'Box'
> available in any form in the US. Does this bundle exist in the US too?

I assume so. I know Box came to the US, because I worried it may not make
it to the UK. If tradition prevails, then Box ought to be available in a
fairer way in the US, albeit not as fair as in Japan.

I'll spare you my rant on getting a Jirachi in the UK.

But anyway, I just found three Box deals on eBay.co.uk, and none on
eBay.com, so maybe Box isn't as easy to get.

The other option is the Stars catalogue, which I don't know much about. Go
to www.nintendo.com - apparently, you collect codes, codes give you stars,
and stars can be used to buy things, including Box. One such code came with
Coli, so you've got a head start already. This is a lot of effort, though,
and I don't know if the American equivalent works in the same way as the
British one, but it's worth checking out if only for free stuff.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:42:31 PM

"> > have not seen 'Box'
> > available in any form in the US. Does this bundle exist in the US too?
>
> I assume so. I know Box came to the US, because I worried it may not make
> it to the UK. If tradition prevails, then Box ought to be available in a
> fairer way in the US, albeit not as fair as in Japan.

From what I can see - Box has not been released in the US but is listed as
'TBA 2004' so it should come out some time this year. I really hope it comes
out by September but my guess is towards the end of the year.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:28:54 PM

> > I assume so. I know Box came to the US, because I worried it may not
make
> > it to the UK. If tradition prevails, then Box ought to be available in
> > fairer way in the US, albeit not as fair as in Japan.
>
> From what I can see - Box has not been released in the US but is listed as
> 'TBA 2004' so it should come out some time this year. I really hope it
comes
> out by September but my guess is towards the end of the year.

Oh, that is a surprise.

The main thing is that it comes out before FL, though.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:28:55 PM

"STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
> "Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I assume so. I know Box came to the US, because I worried it may not
> make
> > > it to the UK. If tradition prevails, then Box ought to be available
in
> > > fairer way in the US, albeit not as fair as in Japan.
> >
> > From what I can see - Box has not been released in the US but is listed
as
> > 'TBA 2004' so it should come out some time this year. I really hope it
> comes
> > out by September but my guess is towards the end of the year.
>
> Oh, that is a surprise.
>
> The main thing is that it comes out before FL, though.

FL is September so since nothing is announced for Box - I'm thinking we
won't see it til long after FL...
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:16:10 PM

"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p Rrqc.272618$e17.101833@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> > The main thing is that it comes out before FL, though.
>
> FL is September so since nothing is announced for Box - I'm thinking we
> won't see it til long after FL...

Wh-

Oh, my. Much sooner than I thought, even though I've probably already heard
this.

I expect I'll import come September.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 4:14:24 AM

In article <1084893064.618663@leri.aber.ac.uk>,
STEFFAN HEDD ALUN <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote:

>To have a complete Ruby and a complete Sapphire, you only really need one of
>each and a third cart for the third starter, although four does make it much
>easier.

Or start one and play until you can trade, then restart for the third
starter, if you really want to go for the minimum number of cartridges.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
May 20, 2004 1:30:21 AM

"David Thornley" <thornley@visi.com> wrote in message
> In article <1084893064.618663@leri.aber.ac.uk>,
> STEFFAN HEDD ALUN <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >To have a complete Ruby and a complete Sapphire, you only really need one
of
> >each and a third cart for the third starter, although four does make it
much
> >easier.
> >
> Or start one and play until you can trade, then restart for the third
> starter, if you really want to go for the minimum number of cartridges.

With 3 carts it's a pain for both to get all the Ruby only and Saphire only
pokes but it can be done with a few restarts. With 4 I don't have to wait
til my hubby wants to trade..although we could use Colosseum to store pokes
til we can grab them.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:18:06 AM

> With 3 carts it's a pain for both to get all the Ruby only and Saphire
only
> pokes but it can be done with a few restarts. With 4 I don't have to wait
> til my hubby wants to trade..although we could use Colosseum to store
pokes
> til we can grab them.

Ah, yes, I see your point. I gave up on waiting for my brother to advance
in Ruby to the point where I could catch 'em all and bought my own Ruby.

That's the real use of Pokémon Box, of course - once I complete Ruby, I can
dump all my desirable Pokémon in Box instead of having to trade manually and
thus fill Ruby with useless Pokémon, six at a time.

Steffan
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 8:07:19 AM

weirdwolf <weirdwolfnospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94EDA21CBF29Eiy0e6iurha8reg.ark.k@130.133.1.4>...

> There is an offer on at the moment for a gamecube,memory
> card, pokemon coleseum and the pokemon box thingy for just
> over £100 pounds.
> Is this worth it? I don't have a gameboy advance and so am
> rather dubious about it.

The package sounds pretty nice. Hopefully, it comes with two memory
cards, since Box and Colo both take up around 50 blocks, and Box can't
save to the 250 block memory cards (my Japanese copy can't, anyway).

Just FYI, while Colosseum can by and large be played without a Gameboy
Advance, you'll need a GBA and some Ruby/Sapphire/Fire/Leaf cartridges
if you want to try multiplayer. Pokemon Box can't be used at all
without a GBA and a compatible game--you'll never get past the title
screen unless your GCN detects a Cubelink connection.

--Beth
April 19, 2009 1:55:42 PM

pokebox and yes it did come out you can store any pokemon on it
!