Win2K Professional Lockdown w/o Domain

Hey All,

I think I'm just missing something simple, but how can I lock down a user
profile on a Win2K Pro machine that is not part of a domain. This profile
will be used by random public and I don't want access to the desktop, start
menu, or network. I only want the profile to run IE and only go to certain
sites.

I seem to at a loss for doing this without a domain, and am willing to bet
the answer is in front of my face but I can't find it. This is realyl easy
on 98 with PolEditor, how is this done on 2K Pro?

Thanks,
Derek

You can use poledit in W2k for standalone config.
It is much more limited that group policy, but outside of
a domain local policy affects all account equally.
There are third-party alternatives, direct registy editing,
use of a deny on system32\GroupPolicy for the accounts
that should not be affected by local policy, and evolve
a practice similar to what is outlined in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325351

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)