Win2K Professional Lockdown w/o Domain

Hey All,

I think I'm just missing something simple, but how can I lock down a user
profile on a Win2K Pro machine that is not part of a domain. This profile
will be used by random public and I don't want access to the desktop, start
menu, or network. I only want the profile to run IE and only go to certain
sites.

I seem to at a loss for doing this without a domain, and am willing to bet
the answer is in front of my face but I can't find it. This is realyl easy
on 98 with PolEditor, how is this done on 2K Pro?

Thanks,
Derek
1 answer Last reply
More about win2k professional lockdown domain

    You can use poledit in W2k for standalone config.
    It is much more limited that group policy, but outside of
    a domain local policy affects all account equally.
    There are third-party alternatives, direct registy editing,
    use of a deny on system32\GroupPolicy for the accounts
    that should not be affected by local policy, and evolve
    a practice similar to what is outlined in
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325351

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Derek" <dg364@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Hey All,
    >
    > I think I'm just missing something simple, but how can I lock down a user
    > profile on a Win2K Pro machine that is not part of a domain. This profile
    > will be used by random public and I don't want access to the desktop,
    start
    > menu, or network. I only want the profile to run IE and only go to
    certain
    > sites.
    >
    > I seem to at a loss for doing this without a domain, and am willing to bet
    > the answer is in front of my face but I can't find it. This is realyl
    easy
    > on 98 with PolEditor, how is this done on 2K Pro?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Derek

Internet Explorer Domain Microsoft Windows