Beware! Newegg has lost my trust.

polyolefin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I recently purchased a new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 through Newegg, but I received a USED PROCESSOR. It was missing the black plastic backing, and there was a faint rectangular imprint on the metal cap that showed a heatsink was placed on it. Not only that, but the "Intel Factory Sealed" plastic sticker that seals the box was perfect, which implies Newegg carefully put it there in an effort to deceive the next customer they shipped it out to. I paid for a NEW item, not an Open Box sale or anything.

I am furious. This is not the first time it's happened either, I got a used XFX graphics card a couple of years ago as well. I thought it was a fluke, but now I realize this is Newegg policy. I did a quick search and it looks like someone else got the same treatment in February. They feel no obligation to notify the consumer that -- despite paying full retail price -- they are getting a sensitive computer component that was used by another customer. I'm getting this replaced via RMA; unfortunately, I'm guessing it'll be shipped to another unsuspecting person under the guise of being "new". I'm also not terribly confident that I'll receive a BRAND NEW processor as a replacement.

Shipped without a backing plate:
IMG_20110324_004342.jpg

Difficult to see, but I outlined the imprint from what was probably a thermal pad:
IMG_20110324_004757-1.jpg

This "factory sealed" sticker was pristine before I opened it, showing no signs of tampering.
IMG_20110324_012245.jpg

Newegg typically has a good reputation among the tech community, and I think that helps drown out the complaints from people who got screwed. The vast majority of things I've bought through them were new as described at a great price, but I won't be purchasing computer hardware from them anymore.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues with NE. As mentioned, they are usually reliable, but we have gotten a few complaints of them recently.

A newegg rep occasionally stops by the forums, so perhaps they can help you get this issue resolved.

Retail Intel socket 775 CPU's are no longer issued with a protective black clip on ball/pin cover plate inside the protective clear plastic clip holder. The CPU comes packaged inside the clear plastic clip holder just as received in this instance. I purchased and installed an Intel e5700 sealed retail box unit ten days ago. As long as the seal on the box is not broken, see messages from Mars, the CPU is exactly as Intel issued it. What OP is doing is nothing more than spreading FUD on this forum.

polyolefin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I did a search and came up with this from xi0.info:

"The company Intel has released a notification document, which indicated an intention to deprive all of its chips in the performance of LGA771, LGA775 and FC-LGA6 special protective cover, cover abdomen processor . According to the manufacturer, it will help reduce the adverse impact on the environment (reducing the quantity of materials used in production).
Users must be willing to get processors without the protective cover starting from January 7 [2009] next year. In doing so, the chips will be supplied with a lid until not exhausted their stocks. How in the past, Intel does not recommend the deal with the contact pads and capacitors, are posted on the abdomen."

Despite the choppy english, this seems to corroborate your statement. This would also explain the undisturbed factory seal sticker, and if it's true, I'm going to assume the rectangular imprint was a result of the manufacturing process.

Spreading undue FUD was certainly not my intention; I never imagined Intel would stop using a protective backing plate since I received one with my E8500 in March of 2009. When I get out of work, I'm going to ask Newegg to cancel my RMA request and PM a moderator to delete this post. Thanks for your input.

I bought the e5700 from Microcenter. The first thing I noticed when I broke the factory seal and looked at the processor was the missing cover. I was not aware of the environment issue being the reason the cover was mising. I thought the 775 socket was old and the protective cover was out of stock when the processor shipped. That or the balls were made of Intel martian rock and could never be breached or destructed and no longer needed a precision plastic injection molded polyurethane plastic cover. Now I know.

To me, the marks look like the ejector marks made in the progressive die that makes the CPU heat spreaders. The sheet metal strip layout is run through the prog die with the heat spreader upside down to help strip feed, especially in high speed production. Without an ejector pad, the formed part will tend to stick in the upper die and cause jams. The pad is heavily spring loaded (Belleville washers or urethane) and is in constant contact with the heat spreader part.

Feb 24, 2006
Hello polyolefin,

I want to apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused. Please know, t Newegg would never intentionally send a customer anything other than what was purchased.

I welcome you to please PM me with your Sales order number. I will have this matter investigated and I can assure you that we will be able to issue a refund or a replacement should you require it.

Thank you,

Newegg.com

polyolefin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for your response. I recently cancelled my RMA request, I'll be keeping the processor. I've also asked a moderator to delete this thread to prevent any undue harm.