DVD-ROM Player Problem

Windows XP Home SP2. I hardly ever use the Compaq DVD-ROM player. Now it
will open and again close immediately without stopping to let me drop a CD.
Hardware check says the device is working properly and no new driver found
by the wizard. Any idea about this malfunction? Before installing SP2 this
device was working fine, any connection?

shaun

If it does this during boot up, then the drives probably bad.

"Jay Cee" <jayceexSsPpAaMm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home SP2. I hardly ever use the Compaq DVD-ROM player. Now it
> will open and again close immediately without stopping to let me drop a
CD.
> Hardware check says the device is working properly and no new driver found
> by the wizard. Any idea about this malfunction? Before installing SP2 this
> device was working fine, any connection?

There could very well be a connection - many wireless
network adapters need a newer driver to function under
service pack 2. I'd visit the manufacturer's website and
look for a newer driver. You can check the current driver
version: right-click on My Computer, go to Properties,
click on Hardware, then Device Manager, click on the plus
sign to the left of DVD/CDROM Drives, right-click on the
DVD drive, click on Properties, click on Driver. This
will get you the driver version number and release date
for comparison (if needed) with a newer driver.

It could very easily be a hardware problem though . . .

Good Luck !

Thanks for the input. No more Compaq driver available on the
ex-Compaq/now-HP site for my three-year-old device. I'll take it to the
repair shop. I had a similar malfunction a while ago with a (non computer)
Sony CD/VCD player. The Sony shop fixed it in no time for free!