Infinite Cache Login

Hi,

I have a number of Windows 2000 Professional and XP laptops in the field.
For one XP machine I had to set Computer Configuration\Windows
Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Optins\Number of previous
logon in cache to a higher number, but most machines seem to be able to login
indefinitely (as long as they don't login as Local).

I have a single-layer domain, if that's an issue, but I don't see a reason
why the laptops can keep logging in. The machines are out in the field so I
am basing this issue on end-user reporting.

Any ideas why it might happen?

Hi,

Can you explain a bit more what the real problem is?

From your post, I am not sure if you really understand what Number of
previous logons to cache does. By default this value is set to 10. This
means it will cache last 10 different accounts that might have logged on to
e.g. laptop. This will allow all 10 users to logon with cached credentials.
The value doesn't have anything to do with how many times users can logon to
the computer while not on corporate network.

Security Options
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_log_wvwn.asp

"Interactive Logon: Number of Previous Logons to Cache" Help Topic Contains
Incorrect Information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825805

I hope this helps.

--