In what order does one install Drivers?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Drivers
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2007 8:13:52 PM

I am planning on building a PC, and I cannot seem to remember in what order I should install the drivers (e.g. chipset, video, sound, lan)

My Build So Far:
Intel e4300 $175
Intel P965 mobo $115
Kingston 2gb 1.8v ram $170
eVGA 7900gs $145
Bluegears benspirer sound card $110
WD se16 250gb hard drive $75
Antec P180b case $125
Edimax PCI wifi card $20

The Above at newegg with 30 dollars for shipping as well as:

OCZ PowerXStream 600watt 12v x 4 18a at ClubIT.com for only $79 !!!
shipping there is $9

TOTAL: $1054

btw, ive already got an LCD, keyboard and mouse, and lite-on optical drive.

So back to my actual topic: in what order do I install the drivers for these parts?

More about : order install drivers

February 18, 2007 8:18:56 PM

Quote:
I am planning on building a PC, and I cannot seem to remember in what order I should install the drivers (e.g. chipset, video, sound, lan)

My Build So Far:
Intel e4300 $175
Intel P965 mobo $115
eVGA 7900gs $145
Antec P180b case $125
Edimax PCI wifi card $20

shipping there is $9

So back to my actual topic: in what order do I install the drivers for these parts?

LAN first...get online capability up and running so you can find latest drivers. Often, while doing a MS update, it'll download drivers for you.

Please tell me you're not going with Vista right now....WAIT!
February 18, 2007 8:28:40 PM

Chipset,video,nic,sound,modem. Before connecting to the internet Get firewall, antivirus and antispyware installed.Then go online and get them updated first then do the driver and os updates..Oh and definately reboot the computer after the antivirus/firewall/antispy updates.
Related resources
February 18, 2007 8:31:09 PM

Quote:
LAN first...get online capability up and running so you can find latest drivers. Often, while doing a MS update, it'll download drivers for you.

I reinstalled winxp on my now deceased dell 4 times. There was a specific order to the driver installs. I have a CD with an app on it called Autopatcher. It automatically patches WinXP up to Jan07. I can always download the newest drivers and put them on a usb key. Heck, all of the products come with Driver CDs why should I expose my virgin PC to the dark dangerous internet?

Quote:

Please tell me you're not going with Vista right now....WAIT!

Sweet lord almighty no! god forbid. Im just gonna install WinXP from my Dell OEM disc and bother Microsoft for an activation code ;) 

But there is an order to it, and if you dont follow it things get messed up.
February 18, 2007 8:32:16 PM

Quote:
Chipset,video,nic,sound,modem. Before connecting to the internet Get firewall, antivirus and antispyware installed and updated first then do the driver and os updates..Oh and definately reboot the computer after the antivirus/firewall/antispy updates.

See, thats what I wanted.

also:
In my case would It be worth it to go for the G965 or Q965, or P945 boards from intel. None of them can OC at any rate, but the G and Q boards have great onboard video while the P965 has none whatsoever. Heck, its always good to have a backup solution in case something goes wrong eh?

*EDIT*
Aw forget it, those intel boards are the same price but way crappier
February 18, 2007 8:39:28 PM

I guess that is definately a positive point in having onboard video. I too have an intel board and overclocking isn't an option. I like stability right now and overclocking is not a mess I want to get into right now. When overclocking just ment changing the multiplier on the cpu (back in the 486 and pentium 1 days) yea I did it. But now you have to deal with memory timings, voltage settings, extra fans, adequate power supplys. It would be fun to tinker with if I had a "spare" computer to do it with but as for my main system I don't think so.

EDIT: I have said this in another post, intel boards are not crap. They are just not for extreme gamers / overclockers. If you want a nice stable board with out hassles (except the 975 boards from what I have read) intel is the way to go. The 3 year warranty is a full warranty none of that 1year full years 2 and 3 parts only. Usually a 24 to 48 hour exchange with credit card. (kind of like the deposit on a rental car). Card not charged if they recieve the bad mainboard with in a week to 10 days.
February 18, 2007 8:50:08 PM

Quote:
Chipset,video,nic,sound,modem. Before connecting to the internet Get firewall, antivirus and antispyware installed.Then go online and get them updated first then do the driver and os updates..Oh and definately reboot the computer after the antivirus/firewall/antispy updates.

...because there's sooooo much danger in connecting to the MS update site.....

too funny!

say "Norton" and I'll pee my pants
February 18, 2007 8:54:45 PM

Quote:
I guess that is definately a positive point in having onboard video. I too have an intel board and overclocking isn't an option. I like stability right now and overclocking is not a mess I want to get into right now. When overclocking just ment changing the multiplier on the cpu (back in the 486 and pentium 1 days) yea I did it. But now you have to deal with memory timings, voltage settings, extra fans, adequate power supplys. It would be fun to tinker with if I had a "spare" computer to do it with but as for my main system I don't think so.

EDIT: I have said this in another post, intel boards are not crap. They are just not for extreme gamers / overclockers. If you want a nice stable board with out hassles (except the 975 boards from what I have read) intel is the way to go. The 3 year warranty is a full warranty none of that 1year full years 2 and 3 parts only. Usually a 24 to 48 hour exchange with credit card. (kind of like the deposit on a rental car). Card not charged if they recieve the bad mainboard with in a week to 10 days.

See thats what I want, a good stable board. So what if my friend OC'ed his pentium D 805 to 3.7ghz? His power supply is now just barely holding on (450w that came wAntec Sonata 2), and the life of his CPU will be shortened greatly. I would just like to have a good stable PC that I can depend upon to always be there, and not give me headaches.

Anyone else want to share their stories about Intel Boards? So far all that I have heard is from happy Intel mobo owners whose PCs seem to last for an eternity. :)  im happy, for now.
February 18, 2007 8:57:16 PM

It is better not to take chances. Have your protection on before going online.

Oh and I read the post fine print NORTON

now piss your pants RJ
February 18, 2007 9:00:07 PM

Check out the Tweaking Companion at the Tweak Guides web site for detailed information regarding driver installation order. The tweaking Companion also addresses BIOS optimization which can only be accomplished before Windows is installed.

Also, I always use Autopatcher (as mentioned above) to update and configure my OS.

Before installing Windows you must revert to a minimum hardware configuration. Remove soundcard, USB devices and all PCI cards.
February 18, 2007 9:00:45 PM

Quote:

...because there's sooooo much danger in connecting to the MS update site.....

too funny!

say "Norton" and I'll pee my pants

Hey I had a tech support guy try to get me to reinstall winxp again just because I connected to the internet without the microsoft updates. And thats with ZoneAlarm AVG and Spybot. He insisted that my just connecting to the network without the latest microsoft updates my PC was completely compromised.

Also, I am planning to purchase Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite for 3 Machines for 70 dollars. I read a review of it in which the summary was: very good firewall and antivir, but somewhat lacking in antispyware.

So, is the ZoneAlarm Internet security suite good? and what is a good free or cheap AntiSpyware that at least offers realtime protection? (e.g. Spybot S&D, Spyware Sweeper, Spyware Doctor??)
February 18, 2007 9:03:39 PM

Yes I will definately agree with that about installing extra hardware. Espically with video cards and USB devices and sound cards. This way if your computer dosent work after installing the add ons your not freaking out too bad and you have an idea of what caused the problem.
February 18, 2007 9:04:43 PM

Quote:

Before installing Windows you must revert to a minimum hardware configuration. Remove soundcard, USB devices and all PCI cards.

Huh? Whazat? Could someone please clarify this? Im really confused now. I thought one just throws all the parts in a box, installs winxp, and then installs the drivers in the correct order. This is what I did when I built a box for my friend.

So what is this I hear about minimum hardware configuration?
February 18, 2007 9:06:03 PM

I have only used the zone alarm free ware in the past and it seemed to keep pop ups and crap off.
February 18, 2007 9:09:12 PM

Quote:
Yes I will definately agree with that about installing extra hardware. Espically with video cards and USB devices and sound cards. This way if your computer dosent work after installing the add ons your not freaking out too bad and you have an idea of what caused the problem.

Gotcha, so by minimum config you mean: mobo, cpu, cpu fan, ram, hd, dvd, gpu. But I can see what you mean by that, Im not looking forward to weeding out issues. Ugh.

Also, how would I find out what part is to blame? What are some of the most common symptoms of a DOA GPU, PSU, RAM, and MOBO??
Now this is important because every day this forum receives dozens of frantic posts from people who put together their home-brew boxes to find out that something is horribly wrong. So lets get those most common symptoms out of the way!
February 18, 2007 9:09:32 PM

Its mainly precautionary to rule out possible conflicts or bad hardware causing a problem. Rather then putting all the hardware and just getting the bios beeps because of a bad video card and having to trouble shoot pulling everything out one at a time, one at a time installation--if you install the video card and the computer dosen't work, you know that the video card may be bad if the computer boots fine when you pull it back out.
February 18, 2007 9:11:06 PM

Usually when you put one piece in at a time and then when you boot your computer and it just does nothing or just gives beeps the hardware you just installed is the problem.
February 18, 2007 9:11:54 PM

Quote:
Its mainly precautionary to rule out possible conflicts or bad hardware causing a problem. Rather then putting all the hardware and just getting the bios beeps because of a bad video card and having to trouble shoot pulling everything out one at a time, one at a time installation--if you install the video card and the computer dosen't work, you know that the video card may be bad if the computer boots fine when you pull it back out.

Then again if you dont have a built in VGA port like on all P965 boards, you cant just pull the card out and expect the windows logo to magically appear on your screen eh?

But lets get back to my last post. Everyone contribute their experiences in weeding out DOA parts .
whee?
February 18, 2007 9:14:58 PM

Crap you got me there... good one.
Then you have to go Harry Potter on the computers A*s and make the windows screen magically appear as you said. Give me minunite on that one.
February 18, 2007 9:18:51 PM

Ok if you pull out all extra hardware except the videocard and it still dosen't boot then if you don't have at least an old pci videocard laying around its time to take it in or start exchanging parts. First video card, then memory, then mainboard then CPU. Then there is the possibility of the powersupply. See the problem is I have spare test parts laying around at home Im never totally backed into a corner like that.
February 18, 2007 9:24:12 PM

Quote:
Ok if you pull out all extra hardware except the videocard and it still dosen't boot then if you don't have at least an old pci videocard laying around its time to take it in or start exchanging parts. First video card, then memory, then mainboard then CPU. Then there is the possibility of the powersupply. See the problem is I have spare test parts laying around at home Im never totally backed into a corner like that.

Well I do have spare ddr533 ram and a X800GT pciexpress gpu that I believe survived my now deceased XPS's death. Basically, its PSU went haywire frying (as far as I know) my keyboard and mouse as well as my hard drive. Who knows, could be all the parts :( 
February 18, 2007 9:25:08 PM

Ok I have to go out to dinner, Ill check the post later. Hope RJ didn't ruin a good pair of pants :lol: 
February 18, 2007 9:25:55 PM

Quote:
Ok if you pull out all extra hardware except the videocard and it still dosen't boot then if you don't have t.

Can we just get this down: what is the basic hardware config?? Im not going to guess, just tell me
February 18, 2007 9:26:54 PM

Quote:
Ok I have to go out to dinner, Ill check the post later. Hope RJ didn't ruin a good pair of pants :lol: 

lol, ait ill be back soon also
February 18, 2007 10:01:48 PM

Quote:

I prefer this order:
Chipset, LAN/Wireless, Video, Audio, misc (56K, Cardreader, TV Tuner, etc)

um... word of advice, don't download the Video Driver updates from Microsoft's Automatic updates site... I work at a national computer repair shop, and 2/3 times at work it always gives us corrupt drivers, where the video driver either doesn't display correctly anymore, or Windows won't boot into anything except safemode and the video driver has to be removed and re-downloaded from the Manufacturer's site...

just a heads up, from my experience :thumbsup:
February 18, 2007 10:06:14 PM

You didnt say what OS you are planning to use, but im guessing XP, one point to note is that using XP with SATA2 you will need to have the drivers for your mobo downloaded( and bung them on a floppy or usb ) and during the install tell it to use those drivers otherwise it will be a crappy Sata 1 driver. I had to reinstall cos of this crap
February 18, 2007 10:10:36 PM

Quote:

I prefer this order:
Chipset, LAN/Wireless, Video, Audio, misc (56K, Cardreader, TV Tuner, etc)

um... word of advice, don't download the Video Driver updates from Microsoft's Automatic updates site... I work at a national computer repair shop, and 2/3 times at work it always gives us corrupt drivers, where the video driver either doesn't display correctly anymore, or Windows won't boot into anything except safemode and the video driver has to be removed and re-downloaded from the Manufacturer's site...

just a heads up, from my experience :thumbsup:

Yea, I know. I never use the Microsoft update provided drivers. I just plan to use the drivers on the CDs that come with the product and then later update to newer versions downloaded from the companies' respective sites. I already have Forceware and the sound card drivers downloaded. Its all good on that end.

I just want to get the rules down on how to weed out a DOA part. Would it be possible to first assemble the PC out of the case (like on a bed or a wooden floor) so that if something went wrong I wouldnt have to go taking the mobo in and out of the case. Is that acceptable or would I risk shorting something out?
February 18, 2007 10:12:57 PM

Quote:
You didnt say what OS you are planning to use, but im guessing XP, one point to note is that using XP with SATA2 you will need to have the drivers for your mobo downloaded( and bung them on a floppy or usb ) and during the install tell it to use those drivers otherwise it will be a crappy Sata 1 driver. I had to reinstall cos of this crap

Hmm? Oh that sounds important. I dont really want to buy a floppy drive, and the one in my dead PC is unfortunately deprived of a faceplate. So how would I use a USB key for this (Ive got like 7.) Do I just dl the file onto it or should I make it a bootable drive.

hungry.... gonna go eat
February 18, 2007 10:50:24 PM

When you install XP it creates a generic driver for your onboard LAN, and since you wont be connecting online except to validate windows, theres no rush to get the LAN running.

i usually do it like this

[*:104faec13c] Chipsets (onboard LAN is usally part of chipset drivers)
    [*:104faec13c] Video
    [*:104faec13c] Sound
    [*:104faec13c] Peripherials
    [*:104faec13c] Then i do software
February 18, 2007 10:54:02 PM

Quote:
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/ddr2/index.ht...

This is the intel page which writes about the known issue when trying to run non 1.8v ram on a P965 board. They say that only DDR800 1.8v ram is okay. What I want to know is will my selected Kingston DDR667 1.8v ram work with this board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

harumph, I had just though that I had gotten this specific issue over with

Right, just want to get this whole P965 ram issue out of the way though.
February 18, 2007 10:59:25 PM

Make sure all bios settings are in order.

Lets just say you just install Windows XP with no service pack.

1 - DirectX needs to be updated so that your screen will run smooth.
2 - Chipset driver or updates this will make sure your computer will stable.
3 - Service Pack 2 if computer is stable, if not. You have a problem, Installing service pack 2 will help installing other drivers.
4 - .NET needs to be installed if using ATI GPU card and if you want catalyst Controller to be installed.
5 - Video Driver or updates driver for other GPU card, like drivers for AVIVO components.
6 - Sound Card driver or updates.
7 - Lan Driver and Modem Driver.
8 - Printer and Scanner Driver.
9 - Monitor Update.
10 - Unless You have your own Firewall and Antivirus. Firewall and Antivirus from Zonelab and get Security Suite Trials for 15 Days. Uninstall it later after everything is working fine.
11 - Updates from internet.
12 - Intall the rest of you Peripherals and drivers.
13 - Adobe Acrobat, and Photoshop if any.
14 - Office Programs.
15 - The rest is up to you.

That's how I install the software on my builds. and don't have much problem.
February 18, 2007 11:04:03 PM

Yours and mine is pretty much the same, It just took me longer to post mine. :lol: 
February 18, 2007 11:05:58 PM

Quote:

Lets just say you just install Windows XP with no service pack.

2 - Chipset driver or updates this will make sure your computer will stable.
3 - Service Pack 2 if computer is stable, if not. You have a problem, Installing service pack 2 will help installing other drivers.
4 - .NET needs to be installed if using ATI GPU card and if you want catalyst Controller to be installed.
5 - Video Driver or updates driver for other GPU card, like drivers for AVIVO components.
6 - Sound Card driver or updates.
7 - Lan Driver and Modem Driver.
8 - Printer and Scanner Driver.
9 - Monitor Update.
10 - Unless You have your own Firewall and Antivirus. Firewall and Antivirus from Zonelab and get Security Suite Trials for 15 Days. Uninstall it later after everything is working fine.
11 - Updates from internet.
12 - Intall the rest of you Peripherals and drivers.
13 - Adobe Acrobat, and Photoshop if any.
14 - Office Programs.
15 - The rest is up to you.

That's how I install the software on my builds. and don't have much problem.

Thanks a lot, when I build my box (if ever) Ill be sure to print out this thread to consult.

So, I checked at the Kingston website which is very easy to use and tells me that the ram and mobo that I picked out are very compatible! Woo Hoo!

Just for curiosity's sake, what kind of performance increase do you think I would get from switching to DDR800 ram. That is from this setup:
e4300 stock
2gb 667mhz ram
evga 7900gs

From what I hear it would be negligible, not really worth bothering for.
February 18, 2007 11:13:44 PM

Quote:

Hmm can I update DirectX without being connected to the internet. From what I remember of downloading directx updates, they have to connect to the internet to download themselves. Or maybe its just me. Worst comes to worst I just install a game. They all come with Direct X blah blah latest version, eh?

So Ive got these parts down pat:
Intel e4300 CPU
Intel P965 mobo
Kingston 2gb RAM
OCZ PowerXStream 600w PSU
eVGA 7900gs GPU
Bluegears Benspirer sound card
edimax wifi card
wd se16 250gb hd

the parts that Im not sure of are the case (Antec P180 or NineHundred), and a media card reader. Speaking of media card readers, does anyone know of a good cheap internal media card reader. All of the ones on newegg seem to be quite *bad*
February 18, 2007 11:17:58 PM

I can't really say since the performance of each system differ from the components you use.

If you're overclocking one of most important hardware is RAM and cooling but I prefer not to overclock untill my system is running for three years becuse of warranty.

However if you don't crank you RAM to it's limit then, may I suggest to get something that will do a 10 to 15 percent overclock.

This computer I'm running on is uderclock since I don't need that much power right now.
February 18, 2007 11:24:47 PM

My wife camera uses XD card so I'm using a plugin Media Card Reader right now which I bought 2 for $25 Canadian from Tigerdirect and it has most of the type, . That way I can bring it anywhere I want.

Called ULTRA 22-in-1.
February 18, 2007 11:57:58 PM

Yea, I dont plan on OC'ing.

Would you guys say that building your own PC is more safe or less safe than buying one from Dell. In terms of issues encountered, and time and money lost, and long term reliability.

A comparable PC from Dell, the XPS 410 (after adding the sound card) would come out to 1440 with a 3 year warranty. And that PC comes with the *wonderful* Windows Vista *WOW* and no choice for WinXP of any flavor.

The parts that I chose have these warranties:
Western Digital SE16 hard drive: 3 Years
Intel P965 based mobo : 3 Years
Kingston 2gb RAM : 5 Years
Bluegears sound card : 1 Year
Antec p180 case : 3 Years
OCZ psu : 3 Years
Intel e4300 cpu (dunno how long, but probably 3-5yrs)
eVGA GPU I dunno how long the warranty is (any help? lifetime??)

so how about it? Would my build be more or less reliable than a Dell?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 19, 2007 12:06:02 AM

Quote:

My Build So Far:
Intel e4300 $175
Intel P965 mobo $115
eVGA 7900gs $145
Antec P180b case $125
Edimax PCI wifi card $20

shipping there is $9

i havnt found any issues installing the drivers in any way but yeah - lan then get newer drivers through the network/internet.
February 19, 2007 12:10:21 AM

Building your own give you exciment and pride and satisfaction. You can pick what you put in and how it would look like.

Buying it made will give you security that if something goes wrong the dealer will fix it for you. even just a loose wire.

Best thing of buying it from dealers is that sometimes they have a promotion that most of us can't resist. Either way you'll be happy the time you recieve you start using your system.

It's up to you to decide if you wan't the hassle or being Proud of building your own system.
February 19, 2007 12:20:32 AM

The primary reason to install Windows with a minimal hardware configuration (i.e., motherboard, memory, graphics card, optical drive, hard drive) is to prevent Windows from searching for, and attempting to install drivers for a bunch of other devices during the install process. Again I highly recommend the Tweaking Companion from the Tweak Guides web site. The Tweaking Companion is a 186 page expert guide to Windows XP installation and maintenance.
February 19, 2007 12:59:13 AM

For a home pc using the term "deployment" makes it sound so overwelming. Im not making fun or anything, its just popped into my head when I read your post. The last time I heard that said was when I was installing windows 2000 through out the LAN I support.
February 19, 2007 1:00:36 AM

Don't worry about it! Just Do It, you think too much, whatever happened to you leaving and never coming back anyway, and now you're building from scratch????

Oh What the Heck.

Its really common sense OK!

This is important for you!
Download the SP2 stand alone because your version of XP is SP1 and either have SP2 on hand on CD, or slipstream it into an installation disk using nLite.

WHY? Because you cannot download updates from Microsoft until you activate WinXP, you don't have the updated Firewall protection without SP2 installed because the updated firewall came in the SP2.

After the Windows installation is complete install the M/Bs chipset drivers package, Video Drivers, Sound Etc. anything missing or not installed in Device manager, then whatever your heart desires.

Good Luck! 8)
February 19, 2007 1:24:12 AM

Theres an active link to download the stand alone SP2 for WinXP at this website and use nLite to create the disk for you.

Instructions at websites.
February 19, 2007 1:31:35 AM

Quote:
Theres an active link to download the stand alone SP2 for WinXP at this website and use nLite to create the disk for you.

Thnx but I already downloaded AutoPatcher which has SP2 and all updates up to Jan 07. I burned it to CD expecting to use it on my now-deceased XPS. It should be just as good as your version eh?http://www.autopatcher.com/
February 19, 2007 1:39:49 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know about this issue? Also where could I find such a driver?>
February 19, 2007 1:47:13 AM

Quote:

Thnx but I already downloaded AutoPatcher which has SP2 and all updates up to Jan 07. I burned it to CD expecting to use it on my now-deceased XPS. It should be just as good as your version eh?http://www.autopatcher.com/

We'll See! :) 
February 19, 2007 2:02:51 AM

I do not think that Autopatcher includes SP2. It includes all of the updates after SP2. As mentioned above, slipstreaming SP2 into your OS is a good idea. If you do not want to use NLite, you can try the very simple Autostreamer (Autopatcher's little brother).
February 19, 2007 9:46:42 AM

Quote:
I do not think that Autopatcher includes SP2. It includes all of the updates after SP2. As mentioned above, slipstreaming SP2 into your OS is a good idea. If you do not want to use NLite, you can try the very simple Autostreamer (Autopatcher's little brother).

Oh, thanks

Also: What kind of IDE/PATA issues have people been experienceing with p965 boards?

At the website for SP2 dl it says there might be issues with OEM dics such as my Dell.

"This is caused by the fact that your Windows XP CD contains updates that will be automatically installed when you run setup. This type of CD's will usually be from larger OEM suppliers (like Dell, HP, or others).
You cannot use this type of CD to create a slipstreamed SP2 install."

Is there any other way for me to install SP2? The download file is an exe, could I just bring it on a key and install it by double-clicking on it?

Happy Presidents Day
February 19, 2007 10:11:50 AM

Maybe you wont need it with the board youve chosen, i couldnt find any on the intel site either, i know my Asrock 939 dual sata mobo has a JMicron SATA controller on it and i got the driver from the asrock site
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!