How can I display something on a locked console

I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to have
the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have another
user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running with the console
locked.

I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the locked
console that a test is running and should not be interupted. For instance,
my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when the console is locked.
If a virus is detected, the icon changes to red. How can I do something
like that?

Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some sort of
progress bar feature that could display on the locked console, but a simple
way to display an icon and change its color would be fine.
6 answers Last reply
More about display locked console

    Jordan wrote:
    > I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to
    > have the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have
    > another user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running
    > with the console locked.
    >
    > I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the
    > locked console that a test is running and should not be interupted.
    > For instance, my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when
    > the console is locked. If a virus is detected, the icon changes to
    > red. How can I do something like that?
    >
    > Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some
    > sort of progress bar feature that could display on the locked
    > console, but a simple way to display an icon and change its color
    > would be fine.

    Use the "marquee" screen saver with text that says "Do not log into this
    workstation".

    That gives me an idea, but that is not exactly what I was looking for
    because I would rather not have yet another process running in the
    background.

    What I would like is something more static. Say, the wallpaper on the
    locked console say "Test Running" and when the test finishes something run
    that changes the wallpaper to "Test Complete". I would really love
    something like a progress bar to display on the screen, but I suppose I
    could create 10 wallpapers at 10% each and cycle through them.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

    Jordan wrote:

    > I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to have
    > the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have another
    > user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running with the console
    > locked.
    >
    > I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the locked
    > console that a test is running and should not be interupted. For instance,
    > my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when the console is locked.
    > If a virus is detected, the icon changes to red. How can I do something
    > like that?
    >
    > Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some sort of
    > progress bar feature that could display on the locked console, but a simple
    > way to display an icon and change its color would be fine.
    Hi

    Consider using a see-through screen saver.

    Two Transparent Screen Locks for Windows that I know of:

    TScreenLock
    http://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm

    - and -

    Microsoft's "Clear Screen Saver" in Windows 2000 Server Resource kit
    Supplement One (clearsaversvc.exe)
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/TIP3500/rh3524.htm

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks a lot. Both of those have good points but each one is missing a
    little something.

    The MS "Clear Screen Saver" has a problem when another user comes up to the
    console and tries to use it. The "Computer Locked" dialog box comes up with
    the usual message about how DOMAIN\User has the console locked and only they
    or the Administrator can unlock it but then you can't hit [ESC] or even wait
    for the timeout to get the screen to go back to the clear view.

    TScreenLock works well and I really like the feature where you can use the
    user's password or an additional universal password as well. This is good
    for when a user goes home and forgets to unlock the console. The only
    problem I see with this program is when the console is not locked it seems
    that anyone with access to the computer can set the universal password to
    the program.

    Do you know of any ways to get around these problems in either one?

    Jordan wrote:

    > Thanks a lot. Both of those have good points but each one is missing a
    > little something.
    >
    > The MS "Clear Screen Saver" has a problem when another user comes up to the
    > console and tries to use it. The "Computer Locked" dialog box comes up with
    > the usual message about how DOMAIN\User has the console locked and only they
    > or the Administrator can unlock it but then you can't hit [ESC] or even wait
    > for the timeout to get the screen to go back to the clear view.
    >
    > TScreenLock works well and I really like the feature where you can use the
    > user's password or an additional universal password as well. This is good
    > for when a user goes home and forgets to unlock the console. The only
    > problem I see with this program is when the console is not locked it seems
    > that anyone with access to the computer can set the universal password to
    > the program.
    >
    > Do you know of any ways to get around these problems in either one?
    Hi

    Sorry, no...

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    > TScreenLock works well and I really like the feature where you can use the
    > user's password or an additional universal password as well. This is good
    > for when a user goes home and forgets to unlock the console. The only
    > problem I see with this program is when the console is not locked it seems
    > that anyone with access to the computer can set the universal password to
    > the program.
    >
    > Do you know of any ways to get around these problems in either one?

    If you are using the PRO version of Transparent Screen Lock you can
    set it up so that only administrators can configure the program. If
    your users don't have admin access then you are set if not I would
    contact them for a better solution.

    Steve

Consoles Windows Displays