How can I display something on a locked console

Tags:
  • Consoles
  • Windows
  • Displays
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 8, 2005 2:54:48 PM

I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to have
the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have another
user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running with the console
locked.

I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the locked
console that a test is running and should not be interupted. For instance,
my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when the console is locked.
If a virus is detected, the icon changes to red. How can I do something
like that?

Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some sort of
progress bar feature that could display on the locked console, but a simple
way to display an icon and change its color would be fine.

More about : display locked console

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:23:43 PM

Jordan wrote:
> I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to
> have the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have
> another user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running
> with the console locked.
>
> I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the
> locked console that a test is running and should not be interupted.
> For instance, my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when
> the console is locked. If a virus is detected, the icon changes to
> red. How can I do something like that?
>
> Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some
> sort of progress bar feature that could display on the locked
> console, but a simple way to display an icon and change its color
> would be fine.

Use the "marquee" screen saver with text that says "Do not log into this
workstation".
February 8, 2005 3:40:56 PM

That gives me an idea, but that is not exactly what I was looking for
because I would rather not have yet another process running in the
background.

What I would like is something more static. Say, the wallpaper on the
locked console say "Test Running" and when the test finishes something run
that changes the wallpaper to "Test Complete". I would really love
something like a progress bar to display on the screen, but I suppose I
could create 10 wallpapers at 10% each and cycle through them.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Jordan wrote:
>> I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to
>> have the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have
>> another user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running
>> with the console locked.
>>
>> I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the
>> locked console that a test is running and should not be interupted.
>> For instance, my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when
>> the console is locked. If a virus is detected, the icon changes to
>> red. How can I do something like that?
>>
>> Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some
>> sort of progress bar feature that could display on the locked
>> console, but a simple way to display an icon and change its color
>> would be fine.
>
> Use the "marquee" screen saver with text that says "Do not log into this
> workstation".

February 8, 2005 11:14:37 PM

Jordan wrote:

> I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to have
> the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have another
> user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running with the console
> locked.
>
> I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the locked
> console that a test is running and should not be interupted. For instance,
> my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when the console is locked.
> If a virus is detected, the icon changes to red. How can I do something
> like that?
>
> Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some sort of
> progress bar feature that could display on the locked console, but a simple
> way to display an icon and change its color would be fine.
Hi

Consider using a see-through screen saver.

Two Transparent Screen Locks for Windows that I know of:

TScreenLock
http://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm

- and -

Microsoft's "Clear Screen Saver" in Windows 2000 Server Resource kit
Supplement One (clearsaversvc.exe)
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/TIP3500/rh3524.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
February 8, 2005 11:14:38 PM

Thanks a lot. Both of those have good points but each one is missing a
little something.

The MS "Clear Screen Saver" has a problem when another user comes up to the
console and tries to use it. The "Computer Locked" dialog box comes up with
the usual message about how DOMAIN\User has the console locked and only they
or the Administrator can unlock it but then you can't hit [ESC] or even wait
for the timeout to get the screen to go back to the clear view.

TScreenLock works well and I really like the feature where you can use the
user's password or an additional universal password as well. This is good
for when a user goes home and forgets to unlock the console. The only
problem I see with this program is when the console is not locked it seems
that anyone with access to the computer can set the universal password to
the program.

Do you know of any ways to get around these problems in either one?

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> Jordan wrote:
>
>> I have a program that runs a test up to 24 hours. I want be able to have
>> the user starting lock the console, however I don't want to have another
>> user or Administrator interupt the test when it is running with the
>> console locked.
>>
>> I would like to be able to display some meaningful message on the locked
>> console that a test is running and should not be interupted. For
>> instance, my AV protection has a small icon in the corner when the
>> console is locked. If a virus is detected, the icon changes to red. How
>> can I do something like that?
>>
>> Beggers can't be choosers, but it would be great if there was some sort
>> of progress bar feature that could display on the locked console, but a
>> simple way to display an icon and change its color would be fine.
> Hi
>
> Consider using a see-through screen saver.
>
> Two Transparent Screen Locks for Windows that I know of:
>
> TScreenLock
> http://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm
>
> - and -
>
> Microsoft's "Clear Screen Saver" in Windows 2000 Server Resource kit
> Supplement One (clearsaversvc.exe)
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/TIP3500/rh3524.htm

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:27:32 AM

Jordan wrote:

> Thanks a lot. Both of those have good points but each one is missing a
> little something.
>
> The MS "Clear Screen Saver" has a problem when another user comes up to the
> console and tries to use it. The "Computer Locked" dialog box comes up with
> the usual message about how DOMAIN\User has the console locked and only they
> or the Administrator can unlock it but then you can't hit [ESC] or even wait
> for the timeout to get the screen to go back to the clear view.
>
> TScreenLock works well and I really like the feature where you can use the
> user's password or an additional universal password as well. This is good
> for when a user goes home and forgets to unlock the console. The only
> problem I see with this program is when the console is not locked it seems
> that anyone with access to the computer can set the universal password to
> the program.
>
> Do you know of any ways to get around these problems in either one?
Hi

Sorry, no...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
February 12, 2005 4:59:52 AM

> TScreenLock works well and I really like the feature where you can use the
> user's password or an additional universal password as well. This is good
> for when a user goes home and forgets to unlock the console. The only
> problem I see with this program is when the console is not locked it seems
> that anyone with access to the computer can set the universal password to
> the program.
>
> Do you know of any ways to get around these problems in either one?

If you are using the PRO version of Transparent Screen Lock you can
set it up so that only administrators can configure the program. If
your users don't have admin access then you are set if not I would
contact them for a better solution.

Steve
!