Any new mobile GPU parts coming out in the next few months?

washington123

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Hey guys,
I am in the market to buy a new laptop for medical school. I was thinking of the HP dv9000 which has a 7600 go. I realize this is only a mediocre video card. However, it does not seem to make much sense to buy a better laptop, one with a 7900 mobile card when all these new dx10 cards for the desktop are coming out.
Has anyone heard of any new mobile video cards that are coming out? Should I wait to buy a laptop? What do you guys think.

You might have to wait a while until nVidia is able to lower the power consumption of their GeForce 8000 series before they come out with a mobile version. ATI and nVidia clearly stated that they have sacrificed power consumption for increased performance.

My guess, probably a year from now before they will launch a mobile DX10 GPU.

Hey guys,
I am in the market to buy a new laptop for medical school. I was thinking of the HP dv9000 which has a 7600 go.

BTW, this is one of the Laptops I'm looking to as well (been checking out the DV9260 series, but don't want to built in HD (prefer external solution) but I do want the HDMI out and HDCP equipped device chain/GPU. The other laptop on my list is the NX860, but Gateway still hasn't move to HDMI/HD options.

The main question I should've asked you before is this... What do you want to do with this laptop exactly?

The GF7600 is capable, but it will be limited in some areas (annoyingly one area is the PureVideo HD features, which require a GF7600GT). But may be more than enough for you.

Currently you can't get the DV9000 wih a GF7900 (only go from GF7600-256 to 512 [like that matter]).

Toshiba offers HD and either an X1800 or GF7900 solution if you're looking for some extra, but like I said it'll be a while before DX10 options start shipping. Expect some announcements and product alignments in March though around CeBit time.

I'm looking forward to a Go Geforce 8800GTX, but we're going to need a major die shrink before that.

From what I've been reading there won't be a GFGO8800GTX until mid-summer and more likely the fall.

IMO they could do it already, but it's a question of market segment and justifying the efforts. Sure a few ultra-gaming desktop parts would ship but is it worth the initially effort without the die shrink to at least bring profitability or at least close to break-evenness?

I thinks it's an anti-laptop part, but since many people are moving to desktop replacement and still wanting near 100% of the power, there will be markets from the usual suspect like VooDooPC, Eurocom and Aleinware.

TRENDING THREADS