Find NTFS Assignment?

Is there a clean method to find the folders where NTFS permissions have been
defined? By "clean" I mean that I only want to see the initial folder, not
every file and folder everywhere underneath, just those initial folders where
NTFS permissions have been assigned. This would include folders where the
inheritence has been revoked and NTFS permissions assigned.

I would like to audit our network and validate the groups that have been
granted access to predefined folders as well as verify that any Shares that
might have been granted by the users are appropriate.

I've used CACLS and some other basic tools, but I'm looking for a short
output. Not the 150 pages of inherited rights on folders and files, just
those directories where the permissions were set.
1 answer Last reply
More about find ntfs assignment

    Two possibilities come to mind - dumpsec and fileacl. Dumpsec is a free
    program from SomarSoft and allows you to dump file permissions in a number
    of ways. Fileacl is a command line utility with some pretty good abilities.
    You can also use it to display permissions in a number of ways and the /sub
    switch let's you control how many levels. For instance from the root
    directory run " fileacl c:\ /sub:1 ". Both are easy enough to try. ---
    Steve

    http://www.systemtools.com/somarsoft/ -- Dumpsec
    http://membres.lycos.fr/jfb/gb/gbtools/fileacl.htm -- Fileacl and syntax.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/shareenum.shtml -- shareenum for
    shares.

    "JSmith" <JSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a clean method to find the folders where NTFS permissions have
    > been
    > defined? By "clean" I mean that I only want to see the initial folder,
    > not
    > every file and folder everywhere underneath, just those initial folders
    > where
    > NTFS permissions have been assigned. This would include folders where the
    > inheritence has been revoked and NTFS permissions assigned.
    >
    > I would like to audit our network and validate the groups that have been
    > granted access to predefined folders as well as verify that any Shares
    > that
    > might have been granted by the users are appropriate.
    >
    > I've used CACLS and some other basic tools, but I'm looking for a short
    > output. Not the 150 pages of inherited rights on folders and files, just
    > those directories where the permissions were set.

NTFS Permissions Windows