8600 ultra release=?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
If you actually know the release date that would be cool to share...

All I found with google was the same question in forum posts. No definitive answer.

In all your infinite knowledge, share the release date with us please.

I don't have infinite knowledge (or else I wouldn't be here I'd be the richest man in the galaxy, and doign something cool, instead of coming in to work for a bit to fix some issues.)

Anywhoo, according to many source the GF8600s will hit the market in May not the MArch timetable many of us expected. This actually came as a surprise to me this week, and I still wonder about the authenticity of the rumours (although they are pervasive from many areas).

The InQ has mentioned it a few times;
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37697
Production starting in March/April means a May/June launch.

So I think we may see the GF8 mid range come out after the R600, which would be close to the X2600 launch, which doesn't make sense to me if they can hip now, because people will hold off a few weeks for a card, but not a few months, had they launched now nV could've captured far more of the market up-front. Now it will be a true showdown with performance and features on the line, in which case it needs to be undisputedly the better part to have the same effect, and really they would've gotten more money sooner had they still launched it earlier.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah, that is about as much as I have seen.

I was referring to kaotao siting Google to search as if the answer was readily available. Hence my sarcasm in the reply.

I will be excited to see a confirmed release date not release span of two potential months. :)

lp231

Splendid
According vr-zone, the 8600 should be out in April, but
there seems to be no word on the 8600Ultra.
The model they mentioned are the 8600GTS and 8600GT.
Prices will range from $249-$299 and from $199-$249 respectively.

I assume the 8600GTS might be the 8600Ultra, but
I do recall seeing somewhere the Ultra cost $179.
If the 8600GTS actually cost $299. I would rather get
myself a 8800GTS.

That list has already been debunked.

That list and the R600 lists seem to be someone's combination of mediocre rumours at best.

PS, TooL, No Probs man, I know, and I also apreciate Kaotao's position, these questions do tend to eventually get annoying.

Anywhoo, hopefully some real news will come out, the only thing I'm worried about is the Desktop delays potentially delaying the laptop segment, despite nV's comments on the mobile mid-range shippingin Time for Santa Rosa, hopefully they are on different timetables. As I don't want to wait until summer for a new laptop.

lp231

Splendid
That list has already been debunked.

That list and the R600 lists seem to be someone's combination of mediocre rumours at best.

debunked?
Really?

sigh...
for the first time, I finally found something where
I can spend my money where it's worth it. And now my dreams
are shattered. :cry: :p :lol:

Don't be too dissapointed, still some nice cards coming out, but just don't put your hopes and dreas on those figures.

IOM, the GF8600U will still be a GREAT card for the price based on the architecture, but just don't be banking on having it in a new rig right away. Wait until all the IHVs and OEM-partners have ahd time to figure it out. Either way CeBit should be the point by which everyone's time frames firm up, so you/we should know morein about 3 weeks time.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I estimated (by judging the 8800GTX/GTS specs vs. the 8600 specs) that the Ultra will be roughly on par with 7950GT and Cleeve agrees.

Wouldn't be surprising if the price was near what LP suggested, though I do think the prices were switched around, the GT should be more expensive than the GTS.

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
The 8600Ultra looks like a winner if it really does exist and if it's anything like what the crazy rumors say.
I suppose a few more weeks of waiting is nothing considering I've already been waiting for a few years, running on my trusty R350 steed. It'll be sad when I finally upgrade my first rig. I might get all sappy and cry. It's been a long 4 years building from the ground up. :(

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
he 8600Ultra looks like a winner if it really does exist and if it's anything like what the crazy rumors say.
I suppose a few more weeks of waiting is nothing considering I've already been waiting for a few years, running on my trusty R350 steed. It'll be sad when I finally upgrade my first rig. I might get all sappy and cry. It's been a long 4 years building from the ground up.

Patience, young grass smoker Patience.

I know what you mean, I went from an ati x300 to a nvidia BFG 7800 OC 8)
I almost got all sappy and cry too :cry: :wink:

741171866392ry5.gif

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
If you actually know the release date that would be cool to share...

All I found with google was the same question in forum posts. No definitive answer.

In all your infinite knowledge, share the release date with us please.

That's because there is no definitive answer. And this isn't the first thread on this topic which is something a quick search would have helpld you realize. Lighten up.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
No harm done, I just meant that referencing google would imply that an answer is so easy to find that one would have to be an idiot to post a question. I thought maybe it was a situation like that, I hadn't seen a release date and thought it may have come out since I last checked.