Lost access to My Computer Properties and to Control Panel

Hi All,

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum for this topic.

I have Win 2000, SP 4, all latest Win updates. My system has worked fine
for two or more years. A single home computer, 900 MHz, 20G free disk
space, no network, no obvious changes, additions, etc.

I have had these installed and up to date: AVG AV, Spybot S&D with Tea
Timer, Sygate Personal Firewall, Pest Patrol (overkill?). McAfee AV &
Firewall, but not updated.

On Feb 2, I logged in as usual with my normal account, and found that
the Control Panel was no longer in the Start Menu, and I cannot access
it in any way with this account. I couldn't gain access to the
properties of My Computer, and still can't. The message I get for both
are, "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to
restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system
admin. Ok."
I can't open .cpl file, same "restrictions" message.

As far as I can determine, everything else with my usual account works.
I can open My Computer, use programs, etc.

I've tried:

- logging on as administrator, extensively checking my usual user
account rights, etc. All is ok.
- creating a test user, with full rights. The new account works fine.
- defragging, etc.
- searching the MS knowledge base, and Google

Thank you for any suggestions or help.

Dugie
6 answers Last reply
More about lost access computer properties control panel

    If this is a domain computer it sounds as if an administrator configured
    Group Policy to restrict your access. If it is not a domain computer it
    sounds like there have been Local Group Policy applied or registry
    modifications. Some of the programs you mention such as Spybot can enable
    restrictions if you allow it to configure your computer in lockdown or
    protected mode though the settings should be reversible. Local Group Policy
    normally applies to all users that logon to the computer, but you state that
    a test user does not have this problem. If you continue to have problems you
    could try to configure Local Group Policy to override the behavior you are
    experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to user
    configuration/administrative templates to browse the various categories and
    settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set it
    disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction. Parasites
    sometimes modify registry settings in an attempt to prevent you from
    removing them. If you have not done such scan for parasites being sure to
    update the definitions of the program before you scan. --- Steve

    > If this is a domain computer it sounds as if an administrator
    configured
    > Group Policy to restrict your access. If it is not a domain computer
    it

    Thanks for your reply!
    The computer is used only by me, so I think it's not a domain computer.
    I'm the only one with admin rights.

    > sounds like there have been Local Group Policy applied or registry
    > modifications. Some of the programs you mention such as Spybot can
    enable
    > restrictions if you allow it to configure your computer in lockdown or
    > protected mode though the settings should be reversible. Local Group
    Policy

    I haven't used Spybot to configure lockdown or protected mode. Since
    Spybot has so much power, I'm very careful what I do with it.

    > normally applies to all users that logon to the computer, but you
    state that
    > a test user does not have this problem. If you continue to have
    problems you
    > could try to configure Local Group Policy to override the behavior you
    are
    > experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
    user
    > configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
    categories and
    > settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
    it
    > disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.
    Parasites

    Using gpedit.msc, I went to where you suggested, User Configuration,
    then Admin Templates. ALL folders and items under the Policy heading
    show as "Setting: Not configured." I've changed nothing yet.

    This is new to me, and looks very complex. This whole situation is
    frustrating.

    > sometimes modify registry settings in an attempt to prevent you from
    > removing them. If you have not done such scan for parasites being sure
    > update the definitions of the program before you scan. --- Steve

    Is Sypbotup with dated definitions ok to use for a parasite scan?
    Parasite is a new term to me.

    Dugie

    Sure you can use Spybot for a parasite scan and I also like the new
    Microsoft Spyware program and have had good results with it even though it
    is a beta product. Parasite is a term than lumps adware, spyware, and
    hijacks all together contrasting to malware that would be viruses, worms,
    and trojans. Trojans seem to fit a bit in both categories however and tools
    for both types often check for common trojans.

    As far as local Group Policy if you leave a setting as "undefined" it means
    no change from current setting. If you have found settings that match your
    access problem try setting a couple to disabled or enabled [ usually
    disabled] as the case may be to reverse the locked out setting which may or
    may not work but worth a try. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx --
    Microsoft Spyware tool

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> If this is a domain computer it sounds as if an administrator
    > configured
    >> Group Policy to restrict your access. If it is not a domain computer
    > it
    >
    > Thanks for your reply!
    > The computer is used only by me, so I think it's not a domain computer.
    > I'm the only one with admin rights.
    >
    >> sounds like there have been Local Group Policy applied or registry
    >> modifications. Some of the programs you mention such as Spybot can
    > enable
    >> restrictions if you allow it to configure your computer in lockdown or
    >> protected mode though the settings should be reversible. Local Group
    > Policy
    >
    > I haven't used Spybot to configure lockdown or protected mode. Since
    > Spybot has so much power, I'm very careful what I do with it.
    >
    >> normally applies to all users that logon to the computer, but you
    > state that
    >> a test user does not have this problem. If you continue to have
    > problems you
    >> could try to configure Local Group Policy to override the behavior you
    > are
    >> experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
    > user
    >> configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
    > categories and
    >> settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
    > it
    >> disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.
    > Parasites
    >
    > Using gpedit.msc, I went to where you suggested, User Configuration,
    > then Admin Templates. ALL folders and items under the Policy heading
    > show as "Setting: Not configured." I've changed nothing yet.
    >
    > This is new to me, and looks very complex. This whole situation is
    > frustrating.
    >
    >> sometimes modify registry settings in an attempt to prevent you from
    >> removing them. If you have not done such scan for parasites being sure
    >> update the definitions of the program before you scan. --- Steve
    >
    > Is Sypbotup with dated definitions ok to use for a parasite scan?
    > Parasite is a new term to me.
    >
    > Dugie

    > experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
    user
    > configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
    categories and
    > settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
    it
    > disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.

    I set >Admin Templates> Control Panel> "Disable Control Panel" from "Not
    configured" to "Disabled."
    I now have my Control Panel back in the Startup Menu, and seem to have
    access to all its functions!

    Now to get My Computer properties back.

    Thanks!

    Dugie

    Try going to user configuration/administrative templates/desktop - remove
    properties from My Computer context menu and set it to disabled. --- Steve

    > Sure you can use Spybot for a parasite scan and I also like the new
    > Microsoft Spyware program and have had good results with it even
    though it

    I have downloaded it, and I'm considering giving the MS Spyware prog a
    try.

    > As far as local Group Policy if you leave a setting as "undefined" it
    means
    > no change from current setting. If you have found settings that match
    your
    > access problem try setting a couple to disabled or enabled [ usually
    > disabled] as the case may be to reverse the locked out setting which
    may or
    > may not work but worth a try. --- Steve

    It worked well. Just that one change gave me back My Computer
    Properties, as well.
    That gpedit.msc command is powerful!

    Many thanks, Steven.

    - Dugie