Lost access to My Computer Properties and to Control Panel

Dugie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

Hi All,

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum for this topic.

I have Win 2000, SP 4, all latest Win updates. My system has worked fine
for two or more years. A single home computer, 900 MHz, 20G free disk
space, no network, no obvious changes, additions, etc.

I have had these installed and up to date: AVG AV, Spybot S&D with Tea
Timer, Sygate Personal Firewall, Pest Patrol (overkill?). McAfee AV &
Firewall, but not updated.

On Feb 2, I logged in as usual with my normal account, and found that
the Control Panel was no longer in the Start Menu, and I cannot access
it in any way with this account. I couldn't gain access to the
properties of My Computer, and still can't. The message I get for both
are, "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to
restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system
admin. Ok."
I can't open .cpl file, same "restrictions" message.

As far as I can determine, everything else with my usual account works.
I can open My Computer, use programs, etc.

I've tried:

- logging on as administrator, extensively checking my usual user
account rights, etc. All is ok.
- creating a test user, with full rights. The new account works fine.
- defragging, etc.
- searching the MS knowledge base, and Google

Thank you for any suggestions or help.

Dugie

If this is a domain computer it sounds as if an administrator configured
Group Policy to restrict your access. If it is not a domain computer it
sounds like there have been Local Group Policy applied or registry
modifications. Some of the programs you mention such as Spybot can enable
restrictions if you allow it to configure your computer in lockdown or
protected mode though the settings should be reversible. Local Group Policy
normally applies to all users that logon to the computer, but you state that
a test user does not have this problem. If you continue to have problems you
could try to configure Local Group Policy to override the behavior you are
experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to user
configuration/administrative templates to browse the various categories and
settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set it
disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction. Parasites
sometimes modify registry settings in an attempt to prevent you from
removing them. If you have not done such scan for parasites being sure to
update the definitions of the program before you scan. --- Steve

"Dugie" <d_fren@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm unsure if this is the correct forum for this topic.
>
> I have Win 2000, SP 4, all latest Win updates. My system has worked fine
> for two or more years. A single home computer, 900 MHz, 20G free disk
> space, no network, no obvious changes, additions, etc.
>
> I have had these installed and up to date: AVG AV, Spybot S&D with Tea
> Timer, Sygate Personal Firewall, Pest Patrol (overkill?). McAfee AV &
> Firewall, but not updated.
>
> On Feb 2, I logged in as usual with my normal account, and found that
> the Control Panel was no longer in the Start Menu, and I cannot access
> it in any way with this account. I couldn't gain access to the
> properties of My Computer, and still can't. The message I get for both
> are, "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to
> restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system
> admin. Ok."
> I can't open .cpl file, same "restrictions" message.
>
> As far as I can determine, everything else with my usual account works.
> I can open My Computer, use programs, etc.
>
> I've tried:
>
> - logging on as administrator, extensively checking my usual user
> account rights, etc. All is ok.
> - creating a test user, with full rights. The new account works fine.
> - defragging, etc.
> - searching the MS knowledge base, and Google
>
> Thank you for any suggestions or help.
>
> Dugie

Dugie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

> If this is a domain computer it sounds as if an administrator
configured
> Group Policy to restrict your access. If it is not a domain computer
it

Thanks for your reply!
The computer is used only by me, so I think it's not a domain computer.
I'm the only one with admin rights.

> sounds like there have been Local Group Policy applied or registry
> modifications. Some of the programs you mention such as Spybot can
enable
> restrictions if you allow it to configure your computer in lockdown or
> protected mode though the settings should be reversible. Local Group
Policy

I haven't used Spybot to configure lockdown or protected mode. Since
Spybot has so much power, I'm very careful what I do with it.

> normally applies to all users that logon to the computer, but you
state that
> a test user does not have this problem. If you continue to have
problems you
> could try to configure Local Group Policy to override the behavior you
are
> experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
user
> configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
categories and
> settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
it
> disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.
Parasites

Using gpedit.msc, I went to where you suggested, User Configuration,
then Admin Templates. ALL folders and items under the Policy heading
show as "Setting: Not configured." I've changed nothing yet.

This is new to me, and looks very complex. This whole situation is
frustrating.

> sometimes modify registry settings in an attempt to prevent you from
> removing them. If you have not done such scan for parasites being sure
> update the definitions of the program before you scan. --- Steve

Is Sypbotup with dated definitions ok to use for a parasite scan?
Parasite is a new term to me.

Dugie

Sure you can use Spybot for a parasite scan and I also like the new
Microsoft Spyware program and have had good results with it even though it
is a beta product. Parasite is a term than lumps adware, spyware, and
hijacks all together contrasting to malware that would be viruses, worms,
and trojans. Trojans seem to fit a bit in both categories however and tools
for both types often check for common trojans.

As far as local Group Policy if you leave a setting as "undefined" it means
no change from current setting. If you have found settings that match your
access problem try setting a couple to disabled or enabled [ usually
disabled] as the case may be to reverse the locked out setting which may or
may not work but worth a try. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx --
Microsoft Spyware tool

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> If this is a domain computer it sounds as if an administrator
> configured
>> Group Policy to restrict your access. If it is not a domain computer
> it
>
> Thanks for your reply!
> The computer is used only by me, so I think it's not a domain computer.
> I'm the only one with admin rights.
>
>> sounds like there have been Local Group Policy applied or registry
>> modifications. Some of the programs you mention such as Spybot can
> enable
>> restrictions if you allow it to configure your computer in lockdown or
>> protected mode though the settings should be reversible. Local Group
> Policy
>
> I haven't used Spybot to configure lockdown or protected mode. Since
> Spybot has so much power, I'm very careful what I do with it.
>
>> normally applies to all users that logon to the computer, but you
> state that
>> a test user does not have this problem. If you continue to have
> problems you
>> could try to configure Local Group Policy to override the behavior you
> are
>> experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
> user
>> configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
> categories and
>> settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
> it
>> disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.
> Parasites
>
> Using gpedit.msc, I went to where you suggested, User Configuration,
> then Admin Templates. ALL folders and items under the Policy heading
> show as "Setting: Not configured." I've changed nothing yet.
>
> This is new to me, and looks very complex. This whole situation is
> frustrating.
>
>> sometimes modify registry settings in an attempt to prevent you from
>> removing them. If you have not done such scan for parasites being sure
>> update the definitions of the program before you scan. --- Steve
>
> Is Sypbotup with dated definitions ok to use for a parasite scan?
> Parasite is a new term to me.
>
> Dugie

Dugie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

> experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
user
> configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
categories and
> settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
it
> disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.

I set >Admin Templates> Control Panel> "Disable Control Panel" from "Not
configured" to "Disabled."
I now have my Control Panel back in the Startup Menu, and seem to have
access to all its functions!

Now to get My Computer properties back.

Thanks!

Dugie

Try going to user configuration/administrative templates/desktop - remove
properties from My Computer context menu and set it to disabled. --- Steve

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> experiencing. Use gpedit.msc to open Local Security Policy and go to
> user
>> configuration/administrative templates to browse the various
> categories and
>> settings. When you find a setting that matches your restriction, set
> it
>> disabled or enabled as the case may be to undo your restriction.
>
> I set >Admin Templates> Control Panel> "Disable Control Panel" from "Not
> configured" to "Disabled."
> I now have my Control Panel back in the Startup Menu, and seem to have
> access to all its functions!
>
> Now to get My Computer properties back.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dugie

Dugie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

> Sure you can use Spybot for a parasite scan and I also like the new
> Microsoft Spyware program and have had good results with it even
though it

I have downloaded it, and I'm considering giving the MS Spyware prog a
try.

> As far as local Group Policy if you leave a setting as "undefined" it
means
> no change from current setting. If you have found settings that match
your
> access problem try setting a couple to disabled or enabled [ usually
> disabled] as the case may be to reverse the locked out setting which
may or
> may not work but worth a try. --- Steve

It worked well. Just that one change gave me back My Computer
Properties, as well.
That gpedit.msc command is powerful!

Many thanks, Steven.

- Dugie