mister_neums

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I had this in the software help area, but personally I think it is more of a hardware issue, i just can't put my finger on it... Here below is what was in the other forum.

I just recently built a new Intel based system, and everything has been working fine except for one thing, for some reason, when I go to search through folders in any program, the program locks up and freezes. I thought that it was the hard drive going bad, with bad sectors. (I had been having issues with the Hard Drive in question from my last computer.) I just reinstalled windows as well. I have only had this system going for a few hours with the new hard drive, but before on the old hard drive, I was getting "Win32 Generic Process" errors, which effectively stopped any sound on any program that I would open up after that. So my question is, why can't I browse through my hard drive in programs? Is it a software problem (I have been using the same Windows install the entire time,) or is it a hardware problem? Here are my hardware specs.

Processor: Intel e6300 @ 1.86 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Rev 2.0)
Video Card: BFG 7600 GT
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 (1 GB)
HD: WD 250 GB SATA

I did have my computer overclocked before, up to 3.0 Ghz, but i only upped the voltages on the FSB and the RAM by .1 and the processor was running 1.375 instead of the default 1.325. Could that have any effect? I haven't ran any memory tests or anything, so if you can help or could point me in a direction, that would be greatly appriecated.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
After you installed Windows did you update everything, like going to Windows Update and driver updates and etc... try those first and see what happens.

mister_neums

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I haven't done that yet, I was a little freaked to see that I had the same problem after the new HD. I'll post back once I update.

Mondoman

Splendid
... I haven't ran any memory tests or anything, ....
That's your problem. If there are underlying problems, Windows can easily get corrupted.
Download and run memtest86+ through at least a couple of complete cycles (will likely take hours). Any errors indicate a problem.
If that works w/o errors, download and run a program called "Orthos" to really stress your CPU/memory combination. Run it for 30 minutes to an hour -- any errors again indicate a problem.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
do you have 2 sticks of memory?

if so try just one.

it maybe a memory problem like mondo said?

though i wouldnt worry about any stress test.
if you cant open any or search folders? then a stress test may not solve the problem.

mister_neums

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I don't know what happened... I tweaked around, updated every single driver from each manufacturer, and it now seems to be working. I'll see how it goes over the next few days... Many thanks to you all for all of your help

:)