How to allow a specific Restricted User to change Date/Time?

I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few years
ago but don't remember how....
I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access right
to some folder\file but don't remember which one.

Thanks,
David
7 answers Last reply
More about specific restricted user change date time

    Changing system time is a user right. Open Local Security Policy [
    secpol.msc] and go to security settings/local policies/user rights and find
    the user right for change system time and add the user/group that you want
    to have this user right. If this is a domain computer, you may have to make
    the change at the domain/OU level if effective settings show different than
    local settings after the policy has refreshed. -- Steve

    > Changing system time is a user right. Open Local Security Policy [
    > secpol.msc] and go to security settings/local policies/user rights and
    find
    > the user right for change system time and add the user/group that you want
    > to have this user right. If this is a domain computer, you may have to
    make
    > the change at the domain/OU level if effective settings show different
    than
    > local settings after the policy has refreshed. -- Steve
    >

    > "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few years
    > > ago but don't remember how....
    > > I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access
    > > right
    > > to some folder\file but don't remember which one.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David

    Hi,

    There is a policy that you can edit. You can do this either in local or
    group policy if the computer is member of domain. After you open appropriate
    policy editor (e.g. gpedit.msc for local policy) drill down

    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    Policies\User Rights Assignment

    Add user account or better yet add group which members will be able to
    change system time.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/529.mspx

    --
    Mike
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

    "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few years
    > ago but don't remember how....
    > I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access
    > right
    > to some folder\file but don't remember which one.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

    Hi,

    I wrote that the quetion pertains to Win 2K, not XP. but thanks anyway.

    David

    Miha Pihler [MVP]" <mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > There is a policy that you can edit. You can do this either in local or
    > group policy if the computer is member of domain. After you open
    appropriate
    > policy editor (e.g. gpedit.msc for local policy) drill down
    >
    > Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    > Policies\User Rights Assignment
    >
    > Add user account or better yet add group which members will be able to
    > change system time.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/529.mspx

    > --
    > Mike
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    >
    > "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few years
    > > ago but don't remember how....
    > > I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access
    > > right
    > > to some folder\file but don't remember which one.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David

    OK. Glad it worked. FYI Mike's method was also the same. Many of the
    configuration settings for Windows 2000 and Windows XP are the same and
    often we can not find a link for one operating system or the other so we
    post what will work regardless of the operating system. --- Steve

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Changing system time is a user right. Open Local Security Policy [
    >> secpol.msc] and go to security settings/local policies/user rights and
    > find
    >> the user right for change system time and add the user/group that you
    >> want
    >> to have this user right. If this is a domain computer, you may have to
    > make
    >> the change at the domain/OU level if effective settings show different
    > than
    >> local settings after the policy has refreshed. -- Steve
    >>

    >> "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> >I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few
    >> >years
    >> > ago but don't remember how....
    >> > I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access
    >> > right
    >> > to some folder\file but don't remember which one.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > David

    I know, but the policy is in exactly the same place for Windows 2000,
    Windows XP and Windows 2003.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > I wrote that the quetion pertains to Win 2K, not XP. but thanks anyway.
    >
    > David
    >

    > Miha Pihler [MVP]" <mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> There is a policy that you can edit. You can do this either in local or
    >> group policy if the computer is member of domain. After you open
    > appropriate
    >> policy editor (e.g. gpedit.msc for local policy) drill down
    >>
    >> Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    >> Policies\User Rights Assignment
    >>
    >> Add user account or better yet add group which members will be able to
    >> change system time.
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/529.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
    >>
    >> "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> >I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few
    >> >years
    >> > ago but don't remember how....
    >> > I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access
    >> > right
    >> > to some folder\file but don't remember which one.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > David

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Since no one mentioned, and it is not clear that this is a
    standalone W2k Pro, . . .
    if this is in an AD domain, even though you have just been
    provided with information on how to grant the account the
    ability, this is not something that you should do.
    All domain members should be managing their time/date
    so that they are, within drift, lockstepped with the forest
    timeservers.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I know it is possible and simple on Win 2000 Pro since I did it few years
    > ago but don't remember how....
    > I remember that it was simply providing that user modification access
    right
    > to some folder\file but don't remember which one.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

Security Microsoft Windows