Firewall Windows 2003 Server

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just tried installing Zonealarm on Win 2003 Server..

As soon as the server rebooted, the system hung on detecting network
connections..

Rebooted into safe mode, added my DNS, and local lan IP address into a
trusted zone, yet it still hung..

Any ideas how to get zonealarm to work with Win 2003 server ???

Or can someone recommend a good free firewall that will work OK ! ?

Cheers

Windows 2003 has a built in firewall that may prove to be adequate and can
be used in conjunction with ipsec filtering policy that uses permit and
block filter actions to control outbound access if that is a need. You also
could be experiencing problems if you have the built in firewall enabled and
are using another software firewall. Sygate might be another possibility.
Note that the "free" personal firewalls are free for personal use. I would
check Event Viewer for any pertinent clues and you also might want to
consider a hardware device. Even a cheap NAT router, that I have seen for $9
after rebates, can provide a lot of basic protection. --- Steve

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1559 -- info on ipsec filtering.

"tom" <tomt@adslweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just tried installing Zonealarm on Win 2003 Server..
>
> As soon as the server rebooted, the system hung on detecting network
> connections..
>
> Rebooted into safe mode, added my DNS, and local lan IP address into a
> trusted zone, yet it still hung..
>
> Any ideas how to get zonealarm to work with Win 2003 server ???
>
> Or can someone recommend a good free firewall that will work OK ! ?
>
> Cheers

I'm looking at blocking access to the internet to specific apps on the
server, but allow others to have full access !!

Anyone know how I can do this ???

tom wrote:
> I'm looking at blocking access to the internet to specific apps on the
> server, but allow others to have full access !!
>
> Anyone know how I can do this ???

Don't use a local software firewall on your server. Get a perimeter
appliance or proxy server to do this. What you want isn't easy for "free" if
you also want it to work well.