What's bottlenecking What?

jigglesone

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I have 3 rigs and the slowest one consist's of the following:

Socket 478 Abit V7 Mobo
Intel Celeron D 2.8ghz 256 kb cache, 512 mhz fsb, (OC'D TO 3.6 GHZ) :)
Nvidia 5700 ultra 128mb AGP
1gig OCZ DDR 400 value series Memory
hard drive,dvd burner,etc,etc

All the major stuff is listed for my main question. I play CSsource constantly and had the Intel Celery runnin at stock speeds. I figured I would gain a few FPS by overclocking the sh*t out of it. Now its at 3.6 stable cause 3.8 was giving the BSOD. Well at stock the game was coming in at between 15-35 FPS. With the overclock of both CPU (3.6) and vidcard I only gained 10 more fps! WTF! Okay I understand this rig is not exactly a game killer but it should fair decent. Getting straight to the point I know again that overall the build is slow but by upgrading to a faster AGP card be more benificial or would the CPU gain more advantage? Which is the bottlneck? I know they both are but which one is worse? Everyones opinion is much appreciated. I can only affored to do one upgrade.

P.S. My in-game settings for CSsource are at 1156x864 and even going to 800x600 gains me only about 5 FPS more.
Trilinear
No AA
Shader is on LOW
Shadows High (no difference when changed to low)

THANKS GUYS :D

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
10 more fps considering that in the worst case there are 15, is a pretty good overclock actually.... actually even for 30 fps the 10 gained translate as 30% more fps...

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well actually to me, the extra 10 FPS (assuming avergage FPS) doesn't seem to bad.

However, if there is a bottleneck, its prolly the vid card. Pretty much any vid card is a bottleneck with an equilvalent cpu, except of course the 8800's :p .

I may be wrong though, since i never really cared enough to look at P4 benches. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS