Feedback for first time build

LtFarva

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
So I am getting ready for my first build. I'm looking at a good price/performace ratio at stock settings (I'm not planning on overclocking) I want to keep it simple at first but need room for upgrading in the future. I'll be mainly gaming on this (finally planning on getting oblivion) but not excessively high resolutions. I'm picking up the 22'' dell widescreen soon.
Here's where I'm thinking of going with this:

Case: Gigabyte Poseidon Mid Tower $90
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600w $130 ($115 w/MIR)
Mobo: MSI P6N SLI-F $115
VGA: EVGA 8800gts 320mb $300
CPU: Intel E6600 $315
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 667 2x1gb $170
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 320gb $90
Optical: Lite-ON DVD-Burner (Retail) $33

So before the rebate: $1128

I don't really want to spend too much more, but I am open to suggestions.
I chose the MSI over ASUS mainly for the added pci slot. If I wanted to add a second 8800 for sli in the future (if needed when dx10 games start rolling out), I would only be left with one on the Asus board. I would like to have two available for a wireless network card and a sound card. If I find the onboard audio lacking, I'll just pick up an audigy. I will try it out first for vista, as I am not in need of crazy good sound.

My last question is the psu. The recommended amps on the 12v rails for an 8800gts system is 26 i believe. So this psu would be fine for a non-overclocked 8800gts SLI system correct?

Thanks in advance for any input.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
That system looks great. I personally stay away from Kingston RAM and I also stay away from Value RAM. The G.Skill or OCZ RAM will be alot better RAM and you will be quite satisfied even if the price is a little too high.

The 8800 GTS should be alright, just that there are other DX10 card coming out pretty soon. And there no games for it yet.

Enjoy it and happy gaming :D

LtFarva

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Thanks guys for the quick reply, I'll change up my ram. That g.skill looks fine to me, can't go wrong with a heat spreader too.

Yea, even though the new cards are coming out, the gts is a good deal (plus $300 is enough for a vga for me). Crysis or any other dx10 game isn't coming out really soon, so I figure if I need a boost then, I'll have some extra cash.