Sign in with
Your question

Large Span LAN

Last response: in Networking
October 31, 2006 2:26:51 PM

I am attempting to expand a network through 400 feet of factory building. Running the wire isn't in itself a problem, but I am concerned with signal degradation. I know that I can use a repeater, but how frequently do I need to space them? Also, every repeater I have found is $400+, and since I need at least three (one every hundred feet I assume is a minimum), I would really like to find a method that is significantly cheaper. Any suggestions?

More about : large span lan

November 1, 2006 7:14:01 PM

You only start degrading after 100meters, 330', not every 100'. With good cat5e cable you may be ok at 400ft.

You could always add a switch some were in between to boost the signal, if you don't want to buy a repeater.
November 1, 2006 10:00:12 PM

Actually, you "start" degrading immediately at the RJ45 connector! :lol: 
Related resources
November 1, 2006 10:33:26 PM

Yes, but it doesn't impact the operation till you start getting some length on it, providing you have good connections.
November 1, 2006 11:32:34 PM

Your best option may be to do one long fiber run. A Cat5 to fiber media converter at each end will do it. Otherwise with Cat5e you are limited to 330 ft or 100 Meters. Something like this: Link ...I'm not making a hardware suggestion, just what I was able to find quick, shop around :wink:

Otherwise you could try moving the two endpoints ~70' closer. You can then run up to an additional 330' from those new centers.

Or just add a switch in the middle as suggested above
November 2, 2006 3:28:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it doesn't impact the operation till you start getting some length on it, providing you have good connections.
Maybe I should've used several smilies... :wink:
November 9, 2006 10:19:38 AM

Haha, I don't know much about networking, but the only reason repeaters are so expensive it seems is cause there aren't many companies producing them in bulk. it's legacy hardware unless you want a wireless repeater, then their only like 50-90 dollars. thats just from a quick search of pricing though. if you have the cash, everyone else is right, you only need one repeater if any since it's 100 metres not feet if you only need to boost the signal for cheap theres also the hub option, which may be cheaper. seems like a waste of ports, but doesn't matter if its cheaper.
November 9, 2006 3:28:35 PM

Quote:
if you only need to boost the signal for cheap theres also the hub option, which may be cheaper. seems like a waste of ports, but doesn't matter if its cheaper.

Hub is an old technology that really isn't used much, and I don't know if you can even buy a hub retail anymore. Switch is the way to go. You would just need a relatively cheap (but you may want to spring for a quality 4-port) switch and you would most definitely want a good power conditioner, AKA surge suppressor to keep it from failing on you due to power surges, especially if it ends up being in a hard to reach location. Everyone else is correct, any run of ethernet cable should be 100 (oops, is it yards or meters? oh well, close enough) or less in length so that signal degradation does not exceed the guideline.
!