Backup and restore Win2k Member server Local groups

Greetings!

Is there anyway to "backup" the local SAM - users and groups, on a member
server?

Remember rdisk -s in NT4? This would create a copy of the local SAM on a
floppy so, if there was a problem with the local SAM, it could be restored
from the floppy.

I've always used AGLP as per MS recommendation - but now I have all these
files and folders with permissions granted to the member server local group -
which holds the AD Global group, which holds the AD members.

Should I just change it to use the Global Groups?

PS: I've tested a system state backup and restore - this did not restore the
Local SAM.

Thanks,

Marcina

"MG2" <MG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> Is there anyway to "backup" the local SAM - users and groups, on a member
> server?
>
> Remember rdisk -s in NT4? This would create a copy of the local SAM on a
> floppy so, if there was a problem with the local SAM, it could be restored
> from the floppy.
>
> I've always used AGLP as per MS recommendation - but now I have all these
> files and folders with permissions granted to the member server local
group -
> which holds the AD Global group, which holds the AD members.
>
> Should I just change it to use the Global Groups?
>
> PS: I've tested a system state backup and restore - this did not restore
the
> Local SAM.

Really?

You could of course copy the actual file but I would
have bet money that the SAM was included in System
State.
It's in system32\Config

But be VERY careful with manual restores.

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks,
>
> Marcina

What happened when you tried a System State backup and restore?? I am very
surprised to hear that it did not restore local users and groups. --- Steve

> What happened when you tried a System State backup and restore?? I am very
> surprised to hear that it did not restore local users and groups. ---
Steve

That's (at least) two of us.

--
Herb Martin

> "MG2" <MG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Is there anyway to "backup" the local SAM - users and groups, on a
member
> > server?
> >
> > Remember rdisk -s in NT4? This would create a copy of the local SAM on a
> > floppy so, if there was a problem with the local SAM, it could be
restored
> > from the floppy.
> >
> > I've always used AGLP as per MS recommendation - but now I have all
these
> > files and folders with permissions granted to the member server local
> > group -
> > which holds the AD Global group, which holds the AD members.
> >
> > Should I just change it to use the Global Groups?
> >
> > PS: I've tested a system state backup and restore - this did not restore
> > the
> > Local SAM.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcina

I just tried it on an XP Pro box. I did System State backup, deleted five
users, restored SS [ to same location] and the five users were restored
which is what I expected. It should work the same way for 2000/2003. ---
Steve

> I just tried it on an XP Pro box. I did System State backup, deleted five
> users, restored SS [ to same location] and the five users were restored
> which is what I expected. It should work the same way for 2000/2003. ---

Thank you -- I was sure of that until the report -- and
then it placed the issue in limbo until I or someone
trusted (like you) performed the test.

I appreciate your letting us know.

--
Herb Martin

> Steve

> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> What happened when you tried a System State backup and restore?? I am
> >> very
> >> surprised to hear that it did not restore local users and groups. ---
> > Steve
> >
> > That's (at least) two of us.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> >> "MG2" <MG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > member

> > restored

> > these

Wow. Thanks Herb. I think you trust me more than my family does. --- Steve

> Wow. Thanks Herb. I think you trust me more than my family does. ---
Steve

You MAY be cruel to small animals or leave the toilet
seat up but I would never know; you do however seem
to answer technical questions accurately. <grin>

Oh, and tell your family to lighten up.

TRENDING THREADS