Backup and restore Win2k Member server Local groups

Greetings!

Is there anyway to "backup" the local SAM - users and groups, on a member
server?

Remember rdisk -s in NT4? This would create a copy of the local SAM on a
floppy so, if there was a problem with the local SAM, it could be restored
from the floppy.

I've always used AGLP as per MS recommendation - but now I have all these
files and folders with permissions granted to the member server local group -
which holds the AD Global group, which holds the AD members.

Should I just change it to use the Global Groups?

PS: I've tested a system state backup and restore - this did not restore the
Local SAM.

Thanks,

Marcina
7 answers Last reply
More about backup restore win2k member server local groups

    "MG2" <MG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings!
    >
    > Is there anyway to "backup" the local SAM - users and groups, on a member
    > server?
    >
    > Remember rdisk -s in NT4? This would create a copy of the local SAM on a
    > floppy so, if there was a problem with the local SAM, it could be restored
    > from the floppy.
    >
    > I've always used AGLP as per MS recommendation - but now I have all these
    > files and folders with permissions granted to the member server local
    group -
    > which holds the AD Global group, which holds the AD members.
    >
    > Should I just change it to use the Global Groups?
    >
    > PS: I've tested a system state backup and restore - this did not restore
    the
    > Local SAM.

    Really?

    You could of course copy the actual file but I would
    have bet money that the SAM was included in System
    State.
    It's in system32\Config

    But be VERY careful with manual restores.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marcina

    What happened when you tried a System State backup and restore?? I am very
    surprised to hear that it did not restore local users and groups. --- Steve

    > What happened when you tried a System State backup and restore?? I am very
    > surprised to hear that it did not restore local users and groups. ---
    Steve

    That's (at least) two of us.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > "MG2" <MG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Greetings!
    > >
    > > Is there anyway to "backup" the local SAM - users and groups, on a
    member
    > > server?
    > >
    > > Remember rdisk -s in NT4? This would create a copy of the local SAM on a
    > > floppy so, if there was a problem with the local SAM, it could be
    restored
    > > from the floppy.
    > >
    > > I've always used AGLP as per MS recommendation - but now I have all
    these
    > > files and folders with permissions granted to the member server local
    > > group -
    > > which holds the AD Global group, which holds the AD members.
    > >
    > > Should I just change it to use the Global Groups?
    > >
    > > PS: I've tested a system state backup and restore - this did not restore
    > > the
    > > Local SAM.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Marcina

    I just tried it on an XP Pro box. I did System State backup, deleted five
    users, restored SS [ to same location] and the five users were restored
    which is what I expected. It should work the same way for 2000/2003. ---
    Steve

    > I just tried it on an XP Pro box. I did System State backup, deleted five
    > users, restored SS [ to same location] and the five users were restored
    > which is what I expected. It should work the same way for 2000/2003. ---

    Thank you -- I was sure of that until the report -- and
    then it placed the issue in limbo until I or someone
    trusted (like you) performed the test.

    I appreciate your letting us know.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Steve

    > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> What happened when you tried a System State backup and restore?? I am
    > >> very
    > >> surprised to hear that it did not restore local users and groups. ---
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > That's (at least) two of us.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > >> "MG2" <MG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > member

    > > restored

    > > these

    Wow. Thanks Herb. I think you trust me more than my family does. --- Steve

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I just tried it on an XP Pro box. I did System State backup, deleted five
    >> users, restored SS [ to same location] and the five users were restored
    >> which is what I expected. It should work the same way for 2000/2003. ---
    >
    > Thank you -- I was sure of that until the report -- and
    > then it placed the issue in limbo until I or someone
    > trusted (like you) performed the test.
    >
    > I appreciate your letting us know.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    >> Steve
    >>

    >> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > Steve
    >> >
    >> > That's (at least) two of us.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Herb Martin

    >> > member

    > on
    >> > restored

    >> > these

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    > Wow. Thanks Herb. I think you trust me more than my family does. ---
    Steve

    You MAY be cruel to small animals or leave the toilet
    seat up but I would never know; you do however seem
    to answer technical questions accurately. <grin>

    Oh, and tell your family to lighten up.

Floppy Disk Backup Servers Windows