Program starting at startup- how to remove?

The creative cd tray alerter CTsvcCDA.exe is a running process that come
on at startup. It is not in msconfig-startup or in the start folders in
administrator or my own folder. I want to get rid of it so it does not
come on at startup.

I am new to xp, but in 98se you would usually find these programs in the
windows\start folder. Where do they hide in xp?

Thanks.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
7 answers Last reply

    Have you looked within the program options/preferences..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:14:18 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > The creative cd tray alerter CTsvcCDA.exe is a running process that come
    > on at startup. It is not in msconfig-startup or in the start folders in
    > administrator or my own folder. I want to get rid of it so it does not
    > come on at startup.
    >
    > I am new to xp, but in 98se you would usually find these programs in the
    > windows\start folder. Where do they hide in xp?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA

    No longer have a Creative card but if I remember correctly that process
    spawns from the Creative Player. Disabling the player from running at
    startup or checking its menu options should get rid of the cd tray alerter
    item.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:14:18 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > The creative cd tray alerter CTsvcCDA.exe is a running process that come
    > on at startup. It is not in msconfig-startup or in the start folders in
    > administrator or my own folder. I want to get rid of it so it does not
    > come on at startup.
    >
    > I am new to xp, but in 98se you would usually find these programs in the
    > windows\start folder. Where do they hide in xp?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GA

    Click start/run and enter services.msc and click ok, scroll down to Creative
    Service for CDROM Access, right click on it, properties, then stop the
    service and then choose to "disable" it in the "Startup type" drop down box,
    apply and OK out

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:34:24 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:14:18 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >
    >> [11 quoted lines suppressed]
    >
    > Click start/run and enter services.msc and click ok, scroll down to Creative
    > Service for CDROM Access, right click on it, properties, then stop the
    > service and then choose to "disable" it in the "Startup type" drop down box,
    > apply and OK out

    Thanks, Tom. I don't remember this being a service a few years back so this
    a good extra bit of information that I now know, thanks to you.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:34:24 -0500, Tom wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:14:18 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >>
    >>> [11 quoted lines suppressed]
    >>
    >> Click start/run and enter services.msc and click ok, scroll down to
    >> Creative
    >> Service for CDROM Access, right click on it, properties, then stop the
    >> service and then choose to "disable" it in the "Startup type" drop down
    >> box,
    >> apply and OK out
    >
    > Thanks, Tom. I don't remember this being a service a few years back so
    > this
    > a good extra bit of information that I now know, thanks to you.

    YW, and I don't know about previous versions, as this is my first time
    having anything from Creative. After I install hardware, and then the
    software/drivers for it, I usually look to see what runs in the TM
    afterwards, that's how I found it. I looked it up, and it is a non-essential
    process.

    Tom wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:14:18 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >

    >>The creative cd tray alerter CTsvcCDA.exe is a running process that come
    >>on at startup. It is not in msconfig-startup or in the start folders in
    >>administrator or my own folder. I want to get rid of it so it does not
    >>come on at startup.
    >>
    >>I am new to xp, but in 98se you would usually find these programs in the
    >>windows\start folder. Where do they hide in xp?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>GA
    >

    > Click start/run and enter services.msc and click ok, scroll down to Creative
    > Service for CDROM Access, right click on it, properties, then stop the
    > service and then choose to "disable" it in the "Startup type" drop down box,
    > apply and OK out

    Worked fine and exactly what I was looking for. I tried all the normal
    things, look in the program, check startup, but Creative hid it well.
    Now all gone- again, thanks

    GA

    --

    Gordon Abbot wrote:
    | The creative cd tray alerter CTsvcCDA.exe is a running process that
    | come on at startup. It is not in msconfig-startup or in the start
    | folders in administrator or my own folder. I want to get rid of it so
    | it does not come on at startup.
    |
    | I am new to xp, but in 98se you would usually find these programs in
    | the windows\start folder. Where do they hide in xp?
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | GA

    For a more comprehensive view, do a google CTsvcCDA.exe.
    Under some circumstances you may want this to run or not run.

Windows XP