Backutil - Veritas permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 15, 2005 5:31:08 PM

I can't understand why do I need domain admin rights to
run backutils tasks and veritas jobs on servers. I need to
find a way to delegate rights to a user to execute the
jobs .We need to run process validating a user to access
folders , files etc on servers.

I set the user local Admin of every server but he doesn't
work well. Why do I have to set Domain Admin Rights on the
user to run back up process!

Thanks any comments
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:09:02 PM

Did you try to make the user part of the Backup Operators group in AD?

Otherwise you can make another special group, and use the AD Delegation
Control Wizard.

Regards,

BogdanSUA

"misaro" wrote:

> I can't understand why do I need domain admin rights to
> run backutils tasks and veritas jobs on servers. I need to
> find a way to delegate rights to a user to execute the
> jobs .We need to run process validating a user to access
> folders , files etc on servers.
>
> I set the user local Admin of every server but he doesn't
> work well. Why do I have to set Domain Admin Rights on the
> user to run back up process!
>
> Thanks any comments

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:09:16 PM

I am not familiar with that product but try adding users you want to do this
to the backup operators group on the computers you want to be backed up or
giving them the user right for back up files and directories in the
appropriate security policy - domain, local, OU, etc. which should allow a
user to only backup and not restore. --- Steve

"misaro" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I can't understand why do I need domain admin rights to
> run backutils tasks and veritas jobs on servers. I need to
> find a way to delegate rights to a user to execute the
> jobs .We need to run process validating a user to access
> folders , files etc on servers.
>
> I set the user local Admin of every server but he doesn't
> work well. Why do I have to set Domain Admin Rights on the
> user to run back up process!
>
> Thanks any comments
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:51:02 AM

That has been one of my pet problems with the backup
products from that company for a long, long time.
Please make you beliefs as to how use of the Backup
Operators group, or of an account with the backup
or the restore privilege should be all that is needed
for the product to function. My voice alone has for
years been insufficient.

Now, strictly speaking, the use of Domain Admins
membership is not needed. However, use of an account
that is in the machine local Administrators group does
make their software run with few misbehaviors/errors.
However, making it use an account that is only in the
Backup Operators group allows most but not all things
and does leave the software doing "odd" things.
--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

!