Group Policy - Access Denied

I work for a company with a large number of laptop users and am looking for a
way to be able to unlock the group policy when admin need to do something and
lock it down again when returned to the user.
What I have tried is to make a copy of the grouppolicy folder when lock and
another copy when unlocked. I then created two batch files just to copy these
group profiles back and forth to achieve this. It works ok for the machine
you do it on but when I image another pc which I have done this on and try to
change the group policy I get Access Denied.
Is there a way to re-enable access to the group policy and does anyone know
the correct method of doing this.

Thanks

I assume these are not domain computers, as that would be easy to do for
domain policy. There are a couple of hacks for local Group Policy. One is to
give the administrators group deny permissions to the \winnt\system32\group
policy folder. The other is shown in the KB link below . --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q293655&

mheinze_uk wrote:
> I work for a company with a large number of laptop users and am looking for a
> way to be able to unlock the group policy when admin need to do something and
> lock it down again when returned to the user.
> What I have tried is to make a copy of the grouppolicy folder when lock and
> another copy when unlocked. I then created two batch files just to copy these
> group profiles back and forth to achieve this. It works ok for the machine
> you do it on but when I image another pc which I have done this on and try to
> change the group policy I get Access Denied.
> Is there a way to re-enable access to the group policy and does anyone know
> the correct method of doing this.
>
> Thanks
I'm probably misunderstanding what you are after here, but what do you
want to achieve? We control what can be done on the school laptops by
having administrators log in to it as local machine administrator and
the user logging in as, well, the user. But as I said I'm probably
misunderstanding what you want to achieve...

TRENDING THREADS