disabling games

Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work, fellow
employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
solitaire. Thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about disabling games

    Are you wanting to remove the games on one or many machines?

    To remove them on one machine only run these commands one at a time:

    Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection FreecellUninstall 132 games.inf

    Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection MinesweeperUninstall 132 games.inf

    Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection SolitaireUninstall 132 games.inf

    Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Pinball.Remove 132 pinball.inf

    Or you can edit the sysoc.inf file and delete HIDE on the games line:

    Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
    Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7

    will become:

    Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
    Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7

    Note the 2 commas remain (...,,7)

    Now the games should show up in the Add/Remove Control Panel applet.

    To remove the games accross many pcs on a network you can use a script.
    Run this in a script:

    sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\ocm.txt /q

    You need an answer file for it:

    [Components]
    pinball = off
    games = off
    Minesweeper = off
    Solitaire = off
    Freecell = off

    The path to the answer file is specified in the u switch in the command,
    sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:[path]\ocm.txt /q

    John

    Jeff S wrote:

    > Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work, fellow
    > employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
    > when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
    > windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
    > even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
    > know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
    > solitaire. Thanks in advance

    Hi, I first ran the commands and did notice that the games
    didn't show up under start, programs, accessories but I
    was still able to type "sol" in the run box and it still
    came up, I then edited the sysoc.inf files that I found by
    going thru search(3).After editing, I saved them but
    they didn't show up in the "add/remove programs". Did I
    do something wrong?, Thanks-----Original Message-----
    >Are you wanting to remove the games on one or many
    machines?

    >To remove them on one machine only run these commands one
    at a time:

    >Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
    FreecellUninstall 132 games.inf

    >Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
    MinesweeperUninstall 132 games.inf

    >Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
    SolitaireUninstall 132 games.inf

    >Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Pinball.Remove
    132 pinball.inf

    >Or you can edit the sysoc.inf file and delete HIDE on the
    games line:

    >Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
    >Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
    >
    >will become:
    >
    >Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
    >Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7
    >
    >Note the 2 commas remain (...,,7)
    >
    >Now the games should show up in the Add/Remove Control
    Panel applet.

    >To remove the games accross many pcs on a network you can
    use a script.
    >Run this in a script:
    >
    >sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\ocm.txt /q
    >
    >You need an answer file for it:
    >
    >[Components]
    >pinball = off
    >games = off
    >Minesweeper = off
    >Solitaire = off
    >Freecell = off
    >
    >The path to the answer file is specified in the u switch
    in the command,
    >sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:[path]\ocm.txt /q
    >
    >John
    >
    >Jeff S wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work,
    fellow
    >> employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
    >> when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
    >> windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
    >> even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
    >> know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
    >> solitaire. Thanks in advance
    >
    >.

    Ooops! Sorry about that, remove HIDE on all these lines:

    Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
    AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,HIDE,7
    CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
    media_clips=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,mmopt.inf,HIDE,7
    MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
    AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
    Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
    MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7

    Now in the Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components the games
    should be available to uninstall. After removal if sol.exe is still
    there see if you can rename it then reboot the machine. If it didn't
    reappear then you can try deleting it.

    John

    Jeff S wrote:
    > Hi, I first ran the commands and did notice that the games
    > didn't show up under start, programs, accessories but I
    > was still able to type "sol" in the run box and it still
    > came up, I then edited the sysoc.inf files that I found by
    > going thru search(3).After editing, I saved them but
    > they didn't show up in the "add/remove programs". Did I
    > do something wrong?, Thanks-----Original Message-----
    >
    >>Are you wanting to remove the games on one or many
    >
    > machines?
    >
    >>To remove them on one machine only run these commands one
    >
    > at a time:
    >
    >>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
    >
    > FreecellUninstall 132 games.inf
    >
    >>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
    >
    > MinesweeperUninstall 132 games.inf
    >
    >>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
    >
    > SolitaireUninstall 132 games.inf
    >
    >>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Pinball.Remove
    >
    > 132 pinball.inf
    >

    >>Or you can edit the sysoc.inf file and delete HIDE on the
    >
    > games line:
    >
    >>Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
    >>Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
    >>
    >>will become:
    >>
    >>Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
    >>Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7
    >>
    >>Note the 2 commas remain (...,,7)
    >>
    >>Now the games should show up in the Add/Remove Control
    >
    > Panel applet.
    >
    >>To remove the games accross many pcs on a network you can
    >
    > use a script.
    >
    >>Run this in a script:
    >>
    >>sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\ocm.txt /q
    >>
    >>You need an answer file for it:
    >>
    >>[Components]
    >>pinball = off
    >>games = off
    >>Minesweeper = off
    >>Solitaire = off
    >>Freecell = off
    >>
    >>The path to the answer file is specified in the u switch
    >
    > in the command,
    >
    >>sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:[path]\ocm.txt /q
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>Jeff S wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work,
    >
    > fellow
    >
    >>>employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
    >>>when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
    >>>windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
    >>>even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
    >>>know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
    >>>solitaire. Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>.

    worked perfectly, Thanks!

    In addition you can add executables to the disallowed Windows applications
    via local Group Policy. This will prevent the application from being run
    anywhere on the computer by that names. Users may figure out that renaming
    the executable will allow it to run. The link below explains more. Use
    gpedit.msc to open local Group Policy which will apply to ALL users that
    logon by default. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323525

    "Jeff S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work, fellow
    > employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
    > when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
    > windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
    > even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
    > know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
    > solitaire. Thanks in advance

    You're welcome. Now just hope that the clever ones don't go back in
    Add/Remove Windows Components and reinstall them... Nothing is
    foolproof and fools can be pretty clever at times ;-)

    John

    Jeff S wrote:

    > worked perfectly, Thanks!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Just disabled add/remove programs with a suitable policy then :)

Games Solitaire Microsoft Windows