disabling games

Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work, fellow
employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
solitaire. Thanks in advance

Are you wanting to remove the games on one or many machines?

To remove them on one machine only run these commands one at a time:

Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection FreecellUninstall 132 games.inf

Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection MinesweeperUninstall 132 games.inf

Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection SolitaireUninstall 132 games.inf

Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Pinball.Remove 132 pinball.inf

Or you can edit the sysoc.inf file and delete HIDE on the games line:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7

will become:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7

Note the 2 commas remain (...,,7)

Now the games should show up in the Add/Remove Control Panel applet.

To remove the games accross many pcs on a network you can use a script.
Run this in a script:

sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\ocm.txt /q

You need an answer file for it:

[Components]
pinball = off
games = off
Minesweeper = off
Solitaire = off
Freecell = off

The path to the answer file is specified in the u switch in the command,
sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:[path]\ocm.txt /q

John

Jeff S wrote:

> Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work, fellow
> employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
> when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
> windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
> even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
> know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
> solitaire. Thanks in advance

Hi, I first ran the commands and did notice that the games
didn't show up under start, programs, accessories but I
was still able to type "sol" in the run box and it still
came up, I then edited the sysoc.inf files that I found by
going thru search(3).After editing, I saved them but
they didn't show up in the "add/remove programs". Did I
do something wrong?, Thanks-----Original Message-----
>Are you wanting to remove the games on one or many
machines?

>To remove them on one machine only run these commands one
at a time:

>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
FreecellUninstall 132 games.inf

>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
MinesweeperUninstall 132 games.inf

>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
SolitaireUninstall 132 games.inf

>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Pinball.Remove
132 pinball.inf

>Or you can edit the sysoc.inf file and delete HIDE on the
games line:

>Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
>Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
>
>will become:
>
>Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
>Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7
>
>Note the 2 commas remain (...,,7)
>
>Now the games should show up in the Add/Remove Control
Panel applet.

>To remove the games accross many pcs on a network you can
use a script.
>Run this in a script:
>
>sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\ocm.txt /q
>
>You need an answer file for it:
>
>[Components]
>pinball = off
>games = off
>Minesweeper = off
>Solitaire = off
>Freecell = off
>
>The path to the answer file is specified in the u switch
in the command,
>sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:[path]\ocm.txt /q
>
>John
>
>Jeff S wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work,
fellow
>> employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
>> when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
>> windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
>> even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
>> know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
>> solitaire. Thanks in advance
>
>.

Ooops! Sorry about that, remove HIDE on all these lines:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,HIDE,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
media_clips=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,mmopt.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7

Now in the Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components the games
should be available to uninstall. After removal if sol.exe is still
there see if you can rename it then reboot the machine. If it didn't
reappear then you can try deleting it.

John

Jeff S wrote:
> Hi, I first ran the commands and did notice that the games
> didn't show up under start, programs, accessories but I
> was still able to type "sol" in the run box and it still
> came up, I then edited the sysoc.inf files that I found by
> going thru search(3).After editing, I saved them but
> they didn't show up in the "add/remove programs". Did I
> do something wrong?, Thanks-----Original Message-----
>
>>Are you wanting to remove the games on one or many
>
> machines?
>
>>To remove them on one machine only run these commands one
>
> at a time:
>
>>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
>
> FreecellUninstall 132 games.inf
>
>>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
>
> MinesweeperUninstall 132 games.inf
>
>>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
>
> SolitaireUninstall 132 games.inf
>
>>Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Pinball.Remove
>
> 132 pinball.inf
>

>>Or you can edit the sysoc.inf file and delete HIDE on the
>
> games line:
>
>>Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
>>Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
>>
>>will become:
>>
>>Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
>>Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7
>>
>>Note the 2 commas remain (...,,7)
>>
>>Now the games should show up in the Add/Remove Control
>
> Panel applet.
>
>>To remove the games accross many pcs on a network you can
>
> use a script.
>
>>Run this in a script:
>>
>>sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\ocm.txt /q
>>
>>You need an answer file for it:
>>
>>[Components]
>>pinball = off
>>games = off
>>Minesweeper = off
>>Solitaire = off
>>Freecell = off
>>
>>The path to the answer file is specified in the u switch
>
> in the command,
>
>>sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:[path]\ocm.txt /q
>>
>>John
>>
>>Jeff S wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work,
>
> fellow
>
>>>employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
>>>when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
>>>windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
>>>even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
>>>know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
>>>solitaire. Thanks in advance
>>
>>.

worked perfectly, Thanks!

In addition you can add executables to the disallowed Windows applications
via local Group Policy. This will prevent the application from being run
anywhere on the computer by that names. Users may figure out that renaming
the executable will allow it to run. The link below explains more. Use
gpedit.msc to open local Group Policy which will apply to ALL users that
logon by default. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323525

"Jeff S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am working with a windows 2k system at work, fellow
> employees are playing solitaire and other windows games
> when they shouldn't be.Is there a way to delete these
> windows games or otherwise disable them?, or heck maybe
> even corrupt them so they wont work. Some of them also
> know that you can type "sol" in the run box to open
> solitaire. Thanks in advance

You're welcome. Now just hope that the clever ones don't go back in
Add/Remove Windows Components and reinstall them... Nothing is
foolproof and fools can be pretty clever at times ;-)

John

Jeff S wrote:

> worked perfectly, Thanks!

Just disabled add/remove programs with a suitable policy then :)