How to connect Win2000 Small Business to Win2003

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

Both servers are located on the same subnet and they can see each other.
Both servers are independent running own Active directories. However, I like
users of Win2000 to be able to access Win2003 server. I tried to to join the
workgroup of Win2000 and then login worked but I want Win2003 to have it's
own Active directory and control over access.
Win2000 for Small Business has disabled trust option so it can not be
trusted server or vice versa it cannot accept trusted servers. Also, Win2000
cannot have sub domains. Because of that I need to created the same accounts
on both servers.
Right now I created an account on Win2003 exactly the same as the one on
Win2003 giving all the rights to access a shared folder. On the level of
folder, server and domain. However, when I try to map the drive to that
shared folder from Win2003 I get the error:
The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
has occurred:
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer.

What else should I do. Or is there other way to have these computers
connected so the users of server Win2000 can easily be authenticated on
server Win2003?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tom

Since you can't set up a trust your option is to create local accounts to
have users outside of the domain to authenticate to as you are attempting to
do. The error Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested
logon type at this computer is a user right issue. On the server where they
can not connect to, open Local Security Policy or Domain/Domain Controller
Security Policy, which ever is appropriate, and go to security
settings/local policies/user rights and check the user right for access this
computer from the network. Try adding everyone to that user right to see if
it helps your access problem. --- Steve