How to connect Win2000 Small Business to Win2003

Hello,

Both servers are located on the same subnet and they can see each other.
Both servers are independent running own Active directories. However, I like
users of Win2000 to be able to access Win2003 server. I tried to to join the
workgroup of Win2000 and then login worked but I want Win2003 to have it's
own Active directory and control over access.
Win2000 for Small Business has disabled trust option so it can not be
trusted server or vice versa it cannot accept trusted servers. Also, Win2000
cannot have sub domains. Because of that I need to created the same accounts
on both servers.
Right now I created an account on Win2003 exactly the same as the one on
Win2003 giving all the rights to access a shared folder. On the level of
folder, server and domain. However, when I try to map the drive to that
shared folder from Win2003 I get the error:
The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
has occurred:
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer.

What else should I do. Or is there other way to have these computers
connected so the users of server Win2000 can easily be authenticated on
server Win2003?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tom
1 answer Last reply
More about connect win2000 small business win2003

    Since you can't set up a trust your option is to create local accounts to
    have users outside of the domain to authenticate to as you are attempting to
    do. The error Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested
    logon type at this computer is a user right issue. On the server where they
    can not connect to, open Local Security Policy or Domain/Domain Controller
    Security Policy, which ever is appropriate, and go to security
    settings/local policies/user rights and check the user right for access this
    computer from the network. Try adding everyone to that user right to see if
    it helps your access problem. --- Steve

    "Tom" <tom@killspam.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Both servers are located on the same subnet and they can see each other.
    > Both servers are independent running own Active directories. However, I
    > like
    > users of Win2000 to be able to access Win2003 server. I tried to to join
    > the
    > workgroup of Win2000 and then login worked but I want Win2003 to have it's
    > own Active directory and control over access.
    > Win2000 for Small Business has disabled trust option so it can not be
    > trusted server or vice versa it cannot accept trusted servers. Also,
    > Win2000
    > cannot have sub domains. Because of that I need to created the same
    > accounts
    > on both servers.
    > Right now I created an account on Win2003 exactly the same as the one on
    > Win2003 giving all the rights to access a shared folder. On the level of
    > folder, server and domain. However, when I try to map the drive to that
    > shared folder from Win2003 I get the error:
    > The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
    > has occurred:
    > Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    > this computer.
    >
    > What else should I do. Or is there other way to have these computers
    > connected so the users of server Win2000 can easily be authenticated on
    > server Win2003?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated,
    > Tom

Connection Servers Windows