Using 802.1x w/ PEAP w/ Windows 2000 Pro

Is it possible to upgrade Windows 2000 Pro w/ service pack 4 to support
802.1x and PEAP? Are there any other service Packs or Patches? The only
pactch that I have found is for service pack 3 and the "Authentication" tab
still does not appear in the Local Area Connection Properties to allow for
802.1x or PEAP.
--
Darian Jameson

Support for 802.1x for Windows 2000 comes with SP 4.

Readme for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/SP4/ReadMeSP.htm#4_5_support_for_wireless_protocol_802_1x_hwrb

Using 802.1x authentication on client computers that are running Windows
2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313664

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

"darian/ne-systems" <dariannesystems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CA2F83F2-CE9A-48C6-BAB0-D3310AB7157E@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to upgrade Windows 2000 Pro w/ service pack 4 to support
> 802.1x and PEAP? Are there any other service Packs or Patches? The only
> pactch that I have found is for service pack 3 and the "Authentication"
> tab
> still does not appear in the Local Area Connection Properties to allow for
> 802.1x or PEAP.
> --
> Darian Jameson

The only information that I have been able to find for Windows 2000 Pro w/
service pack 3 is the posted fix, which is a service patch I downloaded and
tried and it did not work. Are there any other documentation or fixes,
besides changing the OS to Windows XP w/ service pack 2? I have approximately
50 users w/ Windows 2000 Pro. We are incorporating IAS w/ Enterasys NetSight
Atlas Console/Policy Mgr. Policy Mgr. has a feature which allows for MAC
Authentication but we would like to still be able to have all our desktops be
802.1x compliant.
> Is it possible to upgrade Windows 2000 Pro w/ service pack 4 to support
> 802.1x and PEAP? Are there any other service Packs or Patches? The only
> pactch that I have found is for service pack 3 and the "Authentication" tab
> still does not appear in the Local Area Connection Properties to allow for
> 802.1x or PEAP.
> --
> Darian Jameson

Make sure the wireless configuration service is started and set to automatic
on those computers where you have installed the update. --- Steve

"darian/ne-systems" <dariannesystems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FC5E138A-AD91-4FA0-89FE-D273420045AB@microsoft.com...