Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP CPU: CoreTemp: 33C - TAT: 50C - FD: 27C - ET: 59C

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 19, 2007 2:58:42 AM

Hello every1
As the title indicates I have problems with the temp. of my CPU.
but even worse: the tools don't have even similar temp. readings.
CoreTemp: 33C
Intel TAT: 50C
FreshDiagnose: 27C
EasyTune 5.0: 59C
[ THIS IS IDLE]

using TAT to simulate load will display a core temp of 70 or even more or at least 65!!!!!

System:
E6300
Gigabyte GA-965p-S3 (rev. 1)
1gb g-skill ram
evga 7600gt

fsgroup 450w psu


Yes I DID have problems fitting the stock cooler (why not keep the p4 system ffs? it was GREAT).

thanks in advance.

note: i don't know this could matter: I have troubles with the GPU (at least that's what i think) when using AA in WoW...

pic added:
February 19, 2007 4:28:58 PM

50 views no reply :( 

bios says 3xC btw...

today I had another of those annoying and weird problems:
I started up the computer and the tft just said "out of range"
after rebooting aprox. 10 times it finally worked....
and I did not even see the bios just out of range... :S
any help?
February 19, 2007 5:09:46 PM

Do you trust the stock cooler?. I am using a Coolermaster Hypertx and my temps with c2duo e6600 do not rise above 35-40 at full load. Also How many fans do you have in your case?
February 19, 2007 6:12:25 PM

Quote:
Do you trust the stock cooler?. I am using a Coolermaster Hypertx and my temps with c2duo e6600 do not rise above 35-40 at full load...

olmecoid, your temps are excellent with the HyperTX:
1. Where did you take the temp readings of yours in idle/load (BIOS or Core Temps, or from...?)
2. If 35C-40C is your temp at load (full load by ORTHOS, TAT, etc..) then is your idle temp around 28C?
3. Is your E6600 running at stock speed or OC'd?
February 19, 2007 6:28:05 PM

Badmaster,
I truly believe your temps are somehow in trouble. Usually, temp readings from Core Temps are pretty much lined up with temp readings from TAT and other stress test tools such as ORTHOS (I don't know about FreshDiagnose). I don't know why Core Temps 33C and Intel TAT is 50C in IDLE. If TAT reports 50C in idle, which I suspect it is correct if you don't install the CPU cooler correctly, I would expect Core Temps to be at least 48C. I wouldn't trust temp readings from BIOS and NVIDIA EasyTune.

Now, the next question is why do you think you have problem fitting the stock cooler? Doesn't the CPU stock cooler feel tight or what makes you think it has problem?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2007 8:37:21 PM

At a glance, Core Temp is offset by -15c, and EasyTune is offset by +25c. Please re-run TAT with Core Temp, and complete the items below for your test results and variables, so I can analyze the problem. Also, verify that C1E and EIST are disabled in BIOS.

Tcase (EasyTune) = (Idle & Load)
Tjunction (TAT) = (Idle & Load)
Tjunction (Core Temp) = (Idle & Load)

Ambient = (Room Temp)
Chipset = 965
C2D = E6300
CPU cooler = (Model)
Frequency = (CPU Ghz)
Load = TAT 100%
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965p-S3
Vcore = (CPU Voltage)

Comp 8)

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide
February 20, 2007 2:13:39 AM

Quote:
Badmaster,
I truly believe your temps are somehow in trouble. Usually, temp readings from Core Temps are pretty much lined up with temp readings from TAT and other stress test tools such as ORTHOS (I don't know about FreshDiagnose). I don't know why Core Temps 33C and Intel TAT is 50C in IDLE. If TAT reports 50C in idle, which I suspect it is correct if you don't install the CPU cooler correctly, I would expect Core Temps to be at least 48C. I wouldn't trust temp readings from BIOS and NVIDIA EasyTune.

Now, the next question is why do you think you have problem fitting the stock cooler? Doesn't the CPU stock cooler feel tight or what makes you think it has problem?

I had troubles putting it on since it WAS loose the first time I tried fitting it but I corrected that right away...

Should I have put grease on it? seeing the pad on the cooler I guessed not...
February 20, 2007 6:29:09 AM

Quote:
I had troubles putting it on since it WAS loose the first time I tried fitting it but I corrected that right away...

So I assume the stock cooler is now tight and firm when you touch it?

Quote:
Should I have put grease on it? seeing the pad on the cooler I guessed not...

No. The stock cooler comes with a thermal pad. All you have to do is remove the thin platic cover of the pad before tighten it to the CPU. But if you remove the cooler for any reason later, you'll need to clean the existing thermal pad first when you put it back. Then, in this case, you'll need to apply new thermal grease on it.
February 20, 2007 12:55:08 PM

Yea, My iddle temps are between 25-30 using sisoft sandra for more that 2 hours.

8)
February 20, 2007 1:00:36 PM

If you somehow can not install the stock heatsink, change it. Try one that has a retention mechanism like zalman or the Hyper 6+. Obviously remove the plastic protection, ad a little of thermal paste

8)
February 20, 2007 2:57:56 PM

Quote:
If you somehow can not install the stock heatsink, change it. Try one that has a retention mechanism like zalman or the Hyper 6+. Obviously remove the plastic protection, ad a little of thermal paste

8)

gonna get a zalman in the mail today :) 

three totally noobish questions:
should I remove the motherboard from the case (mid-tower) b4 fitting?
how should I clean the cpu/GPU (thermal pad stuff)?
whats the best way to remove the stock cooler from the cpu/gpu? (yes I also ordered a zalman for my 7600gt :)  )

it's been a while since I last fiddled with coolers...
last thing I did was put the vanessa l-type on my p4, gotta love the screwdriver that came with it... still using it for all pc stuff 2day =)
February 20, 2007 3:01:42 PM

Quote:
At a glance, Core Temp is offset by -15c, and EasyTune is offset by +25c. Please re-run TAT with Core Temp, and complete the items below for your test results and variables, so I can analyze the problem. Also, verify that C1E and EIST are disabled in BIOS.

Tcase (EasyTune) = (Idle & Load)
Tjunction (TAT) = (Idle & Load)
Tjunction (Core Temp) = (Idle & Load)

Ambient = ~20
Chipset = 965
C2D = E6300
CPU cooler = stock
Frequency = 1800 (original)
Load = I didn't dare to keep the load on both cores running for longer than 30 secs or so... temps were going towards 70 O_o
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965p-S3
Vcore = didn't change a thing... gotta look when I'm home again...

Comp 8)

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

I read the guide, but I still couldn't understand the huge weirdness in the temps :X

see the screen I put in my first post...
February 21, 2007 2:13:38 AM

I think for the zalman coolers you have to remove the mobo. You can check at their website and look for a PDF version of the manual. They even have some cool "movies" showing the installation procedure for some models. The same for the vga cooler. In order to clean the cpu use rubbing alcohol. As I understand the retention mechanismo of the stock cooler on c2duo procs, all you have to do is a quarter turn counterclockwise each of the 4 retention screws. On the vgacard, that is new territory for me


Hasta la vista, nene

8)
February 21, 2007 3:20:01 AM

I had the same problem, I picked up a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it helped a bit. My apartment runs warm in the winter which increases the temperature, more than one might think apparently.

From talking to people and using TAT first-hand, I have come to the conclusion that while TAT is good for monitoring temperatures, it appears using something like Orthos or Prime95 is much better for determining how hot your processor is going to get.

TAT running both cores at 100% will push my CPU to right around 60c

Running dual Prime95's or Orthos will keep them in the mid 50c range.

TAT seems to be a little extreme with the testing. I can't think of any reason my core's would be running at 100% for any given reason. I know I'm not going to be running 10 instances of Supreme Commander at once.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2007 5:19:24 AM

Quote:
From talking to people and using TAT first-hand, I have come to the conclusion that while TAT is good for monitoring temperatures, it appears using something like Orthos or Prime95 is much better for determining how hot your processor is going to get.

TAT seems to be a little extreme with the testing. I can't think of any reason my core's would be running at 100% for any given reason


This aspect of thermal testing is given appropriate consideration in the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide:

Quote:
Testing

TAT will expose insufficient CPU and case cooling, or excessive Vcore and overclock. At no other time will a CPU be so heavily loaded, or display higher values in Core Temp, even when highly OC'd during worst-case / real-world loads. After CPU thermal behavior has been benchmarked by TAT and Core Temp, then Orthos or assorted other programs can be used with Core Temp, to observe less extreme CPU temps, while stress testing for system stability.


Comp 8)
February 21, 2007 10:09:33 PM

Quote:
I think for the zalman coolers you have to remove the mobo. You can check at their website and look for a PDF version of the manual. They even have some cool "movies" showing the installation procedure for some models. The same for the vga cooler. In order to clean the cpu use rubbing alcohol. As I understand the retention mechanismo of the stock cooler on c2duo procs, all you have to do is a quarter turn counterclockwise each of the 4 retention screws. On the vgacard, that is new territory for me


Hasta la vista, nene

8)

yeah I was quite annoyed that it required me to remove the MB :roll:

I used isopropyl 91% (medical wound cleaning) worked perfectly with thoose Q-Tips :) 

CPU AND Graphics card run at around 15 degrees less now !!!

cpu stays around 53C while having TAT running at 100% both cores...

even if the installation kinda gave me a almost heart attack when plugging the atx connector back in the mb (yes the power cable was AWAY from the PSU) and I saw a blue flash... phew, but everythings works just fine now and I must say I love both coolers so far!

I guess some stock coolers just don't do it...
!